Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
What I find ironic is that Oklahoma(yuck!), one of the most religious states(also one of the most ignorant) is the toughest state on illegal immigration
Now that I find to be an extremely insulting. But as your so adept at using the bible would I suggest perhaps cast not the first stone or perhaps, judge not lest ye be judged.

What exactly do you find so ignorant with us not wanting such a influx of people.

Besides our football team can take yours anytime

No wait, thats Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
You need to tell your local priest that.
He's from Africa and does the Spanish church. He's never talked about immigration. Although there was this Spanish priest who told us not to open our doors to INS back when they were doing raids more often. Of course he was trying to be funny

Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Never set foot in Oklahoma, so I can only guess. It's true the place doesn't have a reputation for wide-open liberal acceptance. Merle Haggard, born here but of recent "Okie" parents, even sang about how they "Don't let our hair grow long and shaggy, like the hippies out in San Francisco do"....(at least they don't in Muskogee, according to Haggard).
Well, I was a teen when Haggard released that little ditty and we thought it was a joke then and we still do today.
Knew quiet a few fellows from the Muskogee, Stigler, Enterprise area and trust me, there was some long hair then and still today.
Dont know about the dope smoking never have and never will.

And why would you consider it a slam that we are not wide open liberal. Not everybody believes in do your own thing and some people still do believe in following the law and if they don't like it they get it changed not just ignore it.

Damn, I'm just glad not a whole lot of you California types ever came back here and stayed, I swear..........some of the conversations could get a little dicey...........

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Damn, I'm just glad not a whole lot of you California types ever came back here and stayed, I swear..........some of the conversations could get a little dicey...........
I believe MacMeal, as well as myself are on the same side as you, so I'm not sure what you're upset about. BTW, us California "types" aren't all the same, so don't assume that we are. Labelling me as a tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal could cause the conversation to get a little "dicey" indeed.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
What I find really hypocritical about some of these unenlightened people obssessed with illegal immigration is the fact that many of them are "devout Christians". Regardless of the situation, the Bible clearly states that "all are equal in dignity before God". Also, from a Christian/religious perspective, the whole concept of a human being being "illegal" is absurd. I wonder if Jesus treated people differently based on their "immigration status". Anyways, it amazing how hypocritical and unenlightened some of these "devout Christians" can be.
um maybe you should read Romans Chapter 13? I dont know about the rest of the folks in this forum but i hate the actions of these illegals and i don't think Jesus is too keen on their actions either. Their actions and sins are why people want those illegals out of our country. i want them to live well but the illegals need to follow the law and either go back and try to make it in their own country or get your papers in this one.

Also, my church has a sizeable hispanic population. The reason why they are better in my eyes than illegals is because they have their papers, they stay out of trouble, and probably most important they speak english.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Default Easy on the California Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Well, I was a teen when Haggard released that little ditty and we thought it was a joke then and we still do today.
Knew quiet a few fellows from the Muskogee, Stigler, Enterprise area and trust me, there was some long hair then and still today.
Dont know about the dope smoking never have and never will.

And why would you consider it a slam that we are not wide open liberal. Not everybody believes in do your own thing and some people still do believe in following the law and if they don't like it they get it changed not just ignore it.

Yes, please give us California types a LITTLE slack...I'm actually a "secondary Californian"---born in Oregon to the descendants of San Franciscans. I'm probably related to half of San Francisco, yet I DON'T "let my hair grow long and shaggy"...I DON"T use the American flag as apparel---and I'm STRAIGHT....(I admit I DO sort of like the color lavender, though).

I had a distant uncle (My grandfather's cousin, I think) who was a bartender in San Francisco in the 1890's. According to the "family grapevine", one night a robber told him "give me the money, or I shoot". He said words to the effect, "go ahead, if you're man enough". Apparently, the robber was indeed 'man enough', and the bartender died on the spot. Never knew him, of course, as his many kids were middle-aged when I was born.

The moral of the story is this---a real "California type" would say that the bartender MADE the robber kill him, because he made the CHOICE to resist. A REAL Californian would probably say the bartender practically caused his OWN DEATH. His stubborness FORCED the robber to go to "extremes" to do his "job"- which was robbing people.

I disagree. I say the ROBBER was at fault. Am I still a "Californian"?--I hope so.

BTW---I never said Oklahoma isn't "wide-open liberal" as a slam--just as a fact. Montana gets cold. California has a beach. Oklahoma is conservative. No "slam", just the facts.

AND ONE FINAL NOTE, Convert 54...this isn't a "slam" either, but in the San Joaquin Valley there's a class of whites who refer to themselves as "C.I.O.'s"....which stands for "California Improved Okies"---(sounds like a variety of melon or tomato, I know). These "CIO's" acknowledge their "Okie" roots---but somehow feel they're now "improved". Whether this is a "slam" at their ancestors or not, I couldn't say......

Last edited by macmeal; 12-03-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
He's from Africa and does the Spanish church. He's never talked about immigration. Although there was this Spanish priest who told us not to open our doors to INS back when they were doing raids more often. Of course he was trying to be funny
We have a Mexican priest who for some reason is having a "Devil" of a time learning English. But he seldom mentions illegal immigration (though the Catholc newspaper here talks about it constantly, but always calls it just "immigration"). He's good-natured, though, and sometimes makes jokes about his OWN struggles with English. Funny guy.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I am a Christian, but I don't feel that Jesus taught us it was O.K. to break the law. We have laws and a system of controls in this country for a reason, mostly to protect the citizenry. That is what separates us from many third world countries. If these Christian groups feel so strongly about aiding illegal immigrants, they need to:

1.)_

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Oops, I hit submit too quickly! Anyway, as I was saying, these Christian groups that want to take the side of illegal immigrants in this country need to:

1.) Put their money where their mouth is. I'm sure every one of their congregation members is willing, ready, and able to use their own money and their own homes to provide those sneaking across our borders with shelter, health care, food, etc. with all expenses coming out of their own pockets, as long as they need it. They are ready to accept them into their own neighborhoods, and don't expect taxpayers to subsidize them at all, right?

2.) Their blame is misplaced. Instead of blaming the United States for the pridicament of illegal immigrants, why aren't they blaming these immigrants own home countries' for their mistreatment and lack of care in the first place? The government of Mexico is especially corrupt, which is driving so many of their citizens over the border to the U.
S., why aren't the church leaders there (and here) holding THEM accountable?

We are the most selfless, giving, humane country in the world, but apparently unless we allow our good will to be abused and our generosity trampled on, we are "hate filled" "racist", and "un-Christian". I don't think so.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
LukeAche,
You have a good point. Many of the "devout" christians who are against immigration forget the reasons why the people are desperate enough to move from their home countries to our country.

Have they ever even considered the level of desperation one would have to feel to uproot themself completely from a tradition and society that they were comfortable with?

Personally, I think that what we really need to look at is the American blame behind the amount of immigration from Mexico. What about NAFTA? That is the fault of greedy corporations. Now, that's the America we know and love, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration