U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,866,353 times

Advertisements

If this has been posted, please advise. I had not heard of this before and it is frightening with the influx of foreign born immigrants we have coming in. It seems to be something primarily in the Americas. I was surprised to see the number of estimated people with the disease in Canada. Very interesting.
Quote:
...snipped...

Chagas Disease An Unfolding Tragedy In North America

reports that Chagas disease, which many Americans have likely never heard of, is now a leading cause of heart disease among people living in extreme poverty in the Western Hemisphere, especially in Latin America, where it is a major parasitic killer.Moderator cut: quote shortened, please limit your quotes to a short paragraph and a link to the original source
It doesn't seem like we make much effort to control the influx of diseases that are coming across all our borders. My understanding of dengue fever is that it is now spread from Africa and SE Asia to the Americas. I would surmise that a major epidemic of some sort will eventually happen, though it is not all carried by illegal immigration. Some just arrives on airplanes.......

Last edited by Yac; 03-03-2014 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 AM

20,627 posts, read 15,431,629 times
I'm not worried about it. First of all, if you read the article again, you see a lot of "can" and "may" statements in there. "Can" and "may" are not "will".

Also, this:

Quote:
They note that the established link between poverty and Chagas disease transmission derives largely from poor-quality housing that facilitates triatomine bug invasion, together with lack of access to adequate health care and antenatal care. Triatomine bugs are typically found in houses made from materials such as mud, adobe, straw, and palm thatch. During the day, they hide in crevices in the walls and roofs, but at night, when the inhabitants are sleeping, they emerge, and because they tend to feed on people’s faces, they are colloquially known as “kissing bugs. ” After they bite and ingest blood, they leave a parting contribution by defecating on the person, who then may become infected if T. cruzi parasites in the bug feces enter the body through mucous membranes or breaks in the skin. The unsuspecting, sleeping person may accidentally scratch or rub the feces into the bite wound, eyes, or mouth.
I don't live in a mud hut, do you?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
If this has been posted, please advise. I had not heard of this before and it is frightening with the influx of foreign born immigrants we have coming in. It seems to be something primarily in the Americas. I was surprised to see the number of estimated people with the disease in Canada. Very interesting.

It doesn't seem like we make much effort to control the influx of diseases that are coming across all our borders. My understanding of dengue fever is that it is now spread from Africa and SE Asia to the Americas. I would surmise that a major epidemic of some sort will eventually happen, though it is not all carried by illegal immigration. Some just arrives on airplanes.......
Dungue is mosquito borne and been in the Americas for some time. Epidemic illnesses will spread as long as there is travel between countries, legal or not. Look at what the Europeans did to the American Indians with Smallpox.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Many very ill individuals are coming over the border to seek free health care in the USA. Border patrol even has an infirmary for the very sick illegals who of course must be treated at taxpayer expense. There was one they picked up near hear who was HIV positive, TB positive, and full of lymphoma. Guess who paid for all his diagnoses, treatments, hospitalizations, chemotherapy?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not worried about it. First of all, if you read the article again, you see a lot of "can" and "may" statements in there. "Can" and "may" are not "will".

Also, this:

I don't live in a mud hut, do you?
No, I don't. That is just one of the modes of transmission and is endimic to areas with unsanitary conditions and the Americas and not just mud huts.

There are several modes of infection and immigration, of course, being one of them. I only put it in illegal immigration because it really didn't fit anywhere that I could see. I guess I could have put it in legal immigration or health (where ?).

Quote:
..snipped..Dr. Hotez et al. note despite North America appearing to have a high disease burden resulting from T. cruzi infection, remarkably little is actually known about the Chagas disease epidemiology, since no systematic effort has been undertaken to ascertain the true extent of Chagas in Mexico where some isolated communities are withering because 30 percent to 50 percent of their populations are infected with T. cruzi, and according to one estimate, overall economic losses from Chagas disease in Mexico may exceed $3 billion annually...Chagas Disease An Unfolding Tragedy In North America
I didn't read as many cans and mays statements as you may have. The article is stating that more research needs to be done as there would be cans and mays until further indepth study but, it appears to still be entrenched even after:
Quote:
...snipped...Additional factors related to poverty also include lack of health education and environmental management leading to vector invasion and colonization, and despite enormous strides made in Chagas vector control, through housing improvements and aggressive insecticide spraying, and case reduction or even elimination in parts of Latin America, important areas of high endimicity persist, including in North America (bolding is mine)...snipped...
Quote:
...TXNGL...Dungue is mosquito borne and been in the Americas for some time. Epidemic illnesses will spread as long as there is travel between countries, legal or not. Look at what the Europeans did to the American Indians with Smallpox.
Quote:
CDC - Dengue
Dengue has emerged as a worldwide problem only since the 1950s. Although dengue rarely occurs in the continental United States, it is endemic in Puerto Rico and in many popular tourist destinations in Latin America, Southeast Asia and the Pacific islands,,snipped,,
There is an epidemic in Fiji that has NZ on alert as it has already been in Australia recently. It is mosquito borne and it is spread by travel and trade, climate changes and land use changes. I am/was thinking about the SE US as a prime breeding ground. Both types of mosquitos that carry the virus are here in Florida and we have reported cases.

I would quote but my computer is acting strange when I try to copy and quote. I'm not sure what is wrong. Need to reboot.

Quote:
Dengue fever presence in Florida at a 'pretty serious level'. Headline on america.aljazeera.com

It seems we get rid of smallpox, measles, whooping cough, certain strains of TB, polio and here they come back again. Though, as has been said, it is coming through in every direction. Pretty soon, the United States will be just like any third world country. It would be nice if we could work on eradicating infectious diseases from the safety of the US and its own citizens be protected. It seems the US finds the vaccine and then the disease comes trickling back through, endangering our own citizens because there is no oversight.

I think I have lived too long....I look at the years of the 20th century as the golden years of erradication of so many awful diseases, especially the childhood ones. I have read that polio or polio like illness may be making a comeback.

I guess this could have gone in Great Debates but I don't frequent that forum too often. I know I am off topic and I can't get my post to unhook from BOLD.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
This one of the problems with illegal immigration. Many come from remote areas and unsanitary conditions. Illegal aliens bypass health checks where legal immigrants do not as they follow the process to come here.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 PM

20,627 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
...I didn't read as many cans and mays statements as you may have. The article is stating that more research needs to be done as there would be cans and mays until further indepth study but, it appears to still be entrenched even after: ...
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to post much of each article, but even in your first post, if you re-read it, you will see "believed to be", "can be life threatening", "may...." That's just one small portion of the entire article. I can't show here every "can" and "may" because it will get deleted for being too long.

Also, I'm not debating about where the thread was put, that wasn't my intention at all. Like you, I'm not sure I would know which thread to put it in. If the mods feel it should be elsewhere, they'll move it for you.

Anyway, I read the article that you posted and I only saw two ways that one could contract this disease:

the insect itself (due to poor, hygienic practices or unsanitary living conditions)
mother to child while she's carrying said child

If I missed some other way that this is spread, please point it out for I did not see it.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Three Wolves In Snow, according to the article, we rank 7th in number of cases of Chagas. How did we contract the disease ? Are we living in hovels, mud hut, extreme unsanitary conditions here in the US ? The bug could have been brought in on the clothes of someone crossing the border.

We are on the hook for medical expenses of someone who has the disease if they need medical care. Plus, with the number of chidlren being born to undocumented workers, how many new people are infected with the potential for future medical care, etc, etc. It is a little studied disease. That is what the article is saying, it needs more study.

Dengue fever has arrived on our shores and it is transmitted by mosquitos. It wasn't here until recently, so how did it get here......

Stuff gets here and there is no oversight what so ever. Everything can't be caught but, there should be some effort made to do so. Our citizens have rights, as well as, illegal aliens. It's crazy.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Quote:
No, I don't. That is just one of the modes of transmission and is endimic to areas with unsanitary conditions and the Americas and not just mud huts.

There are several modes of infection and immigration, of course, being one of them. I only put it in illegal immigration because it really didn't fit anywhere that I could see. I guess I could have put it in legal immigration or health (where ?).

I didn't read as many cans and mays statements as you may have. The article is stating that more research needs to be done as there would be cans and mays until further indepth study but, it appears to still be entrenched even after:

There is an epidemic in Fiji that has NZ on alert as it has already been in Australia recently. It is mosquito borne and it is spread by travel and trade, climate changes and land use changes. I am/was thinking about the SE US as a prime breeding ground. Both types of mosquitos that carry the virus are here in Florida and we have reported cases.

I would quote but my computer is acting strange when I try to copy and quote. I'm not sure what is wrong. Need to reboot.

It seems we get rid of smallpox, measles, whooping cough, certain strains of TB, polio and here they come back again. Though, as has been said, it is coming through in every direction. Pretty soon, the United States will be just like any third world country. It would be nice if we could work on eradicating infectious diseases from the safety of the US and its own citizens be protected. It seems the US finds the vaccine and then the disease comes trickling back through, endangering our own citizens because there is no oversight.

I think I have lived too long....I look at the years of the 20th century as the golden years of erradication of so many awful diseases, especially the childhood ones. I have read that polio or polio like illness may be making a comeback.

I guess this could have gone in Great Debates but I don't frequent that forum too often. I know I am off topic and I can't get my post to unhook from BOLD.
>>

Part of the problem, and gosh I doubt this post belongs here, is that regular old Americans are refusing to vaccinate against the diseases for which there is a vaccination. The biggest measles story in my area recently was not brought in by illegal immigrants, but rather a church that didn't believe in vaccinations and had some people who had been on missionary work in another country and became infected, bringing it back to church members.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Three Wolves In Snow, according to the article, we rank 7th in number of cases of Chagas. How did we contract the disease ? Are we living in hovels, mud hut, extreme unsanitary conditions here in the US ? The bug could have been brought in on the clothes of someone crossing the border.

We are on the hook for medical expenses of someone who has the disease if they need medical care. Plus, with the number of chidlren being born to undocumented workers, how many new people are infected with the potential for future medical care, etc, etc. It is a little studied disease. That is what the article is saying, it needs more study.

Dengue fever has arrived on our shores and it is transmitted by mosquitos. It wasn't here until recently, so how did it get here......

Stuff gets here and there is no oversight what so ever. Everything can't be caught but, there should be some effort made to do so. Our citizens have rights, as well as, illegal aliens. It's crazy.
The first reported case of dengue fever outbreak in the US was recorded in Philadelphia by Dr. Benjamin Rush.................................in 1780. So, definitely wasn't Mexicans that brought it to Philadelphia, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration