Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
From experience, I have never seen an Anglo taxi cab, mini-mart attendant, liqour store attendant. However, that does not mean they are illegal. We can't assume every immigrant is illegal. I'm starting to see people on this forum have problems with immigrants, primarily Latinos and how markets cater to Latinos. "Oh when are they going to learn to be like the rest of us," personally, I don't want to be like the rest of everyone. I have no problem watching Spanish commercials or reading Spanish flyers. It seems that people find more and more ways to complain about things and quite frankly the people that do this probably don't have the best of lives. I am not bothered by the fact that recent immigrants don't speak the language-- I can see why they don't.
Quote:
.(not all but most).
"Most" meaning "non-English" speaking and plenty of those can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,929,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"Most" meaning "non-English" speaking and plenty of those can be found.
If your going to run a business in a mainly English speaking country, you have to know English. Just because they have accents doesn't mean they don't speak English.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times
Nothing was said about accents, I said non-speaking english. Are you going to say that they "ALL" spoke english? I know as well as you that they "ALL" didn't and I didn't say they were "ALL" illegals.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:43 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
The immigration debate: 70 percent of Mexicans in California are U.S. citizens
By Javier Erik Olveraand Mike Swift
Mercury News
Article Launched: 11/05/2007 01:30:41 AM PST

Moderator cut: Please post a link only and not the entire article.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_737412...nclick_check=1
If that is true which I doubt, then these Mexican U.S. citizens have turned southern CA into Mexico. Where are the white and black people, where is English spoken, where are English signs and music....where is America?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
If that is true which I doubt, then these Mexican U.S. citizens have turned southern CA into Mexico. Where are the white and black people, where is English spoken, where are English signs and music....where is America?
Hey Faith10,

Honest question, tell me where you are going where you see everything in Spanish in SoCal.

Sure there are some areas, but all of the nice coastal properties are still very White. OC is all White/English except for Santa Ana.
Northern and Coastal San Diego County is very White except for Oceanside.

I spend time in Long Beach, Orange County, San Diego County, and I am not seeing everything in Spanish, for the most part ALL Costal Cities are white/english, Country cities like Temecula, Palm Springs are white/english.

Black people in CA? Well Long Beach, Central Los Angeles, and San Diego has a lot of the Black Population, but I do think it is in decline.

I don't know, I am part Mexican and there is a definite difference between SoCal and Mexico. I would say it is still very American, but yes it has always had Mexican Southwestern culture...that used to be a good thing.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hey Faith10,

I don't know, I am part Mexican and there is a definite difference between SoCal and Mexico. I would say it is still very American, but yes it has always had Mexican Southwestern culture...that used to be a good thing.
This is very true. There's a HUGE difference between SoCal and Mexico--even the nearest PART of Mexico (BC). This fact is sometimes "downplayed" by the more extreme members of BOTH sides, pro-illegals as well as anti-illegals, but the fact remains, the differences are huge. If they weren't, there'd be no immigration.

I disagree with OC being "all white". There is a large number of Asians here, as well as some East Indians. I WILL, however, agree that OC IS a very affluent area, and has rather stark differences in a small area, between the upscale planned communities of the south and the heavily Hispanic barrios of the north. There are huge disparities of income here.

Of course the area has an Hispanic culture--- that's the culture that STARTED the place---(by "encouraging" the Indians to take up bricklaying, and build missions )...This area is different from the US midwest, and the east, and always HAS been.

Could it EVER become like a "part of Mexico"?...That's a fair question. If there isn't some sort rational control taken over immigration, and if the US Government fails to address the situation, at some point, yes, it could become more and more "like" Mexico, simply because Mexico is where the immigrants are coming from, and if nobody tells them otherwise, that's the lifestyle they'll bring with them.....just like anybody, from anywhere, would act if "we" here didn't set some "rules for newcomers". We USED to do that, but have mostly stopped now. The result is that now there really ARE no rules, and the "newcomers" are pretty much left to work things out on their own.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,817,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I lived in California from 1973 to 2002, no way I believe that 70% of Mexicans in California are US citizens. I'd say it's actually much lower, and if it wasn't for the fact that the 14TH Amendment is being improperly interpreted it would be far, far lower.
The 14th has been TOTALY misinterpreted on purpose. The drafters of the 14th clearly stated this was NOT meant to be automatic citizenship for children of immigrants. It was designed so that childre of free slaves became and were recognized as US Citizens.

There is NO WAY 70% of Mexicans in CA are legal citizens. This is a BS article from a non-reputable "news" source. I met several people from CA and the consensus there is that all these "citizens" just poped out of nowhere in less than 10 years. And they are all of a sudden legal and in their 30s??!? COME ON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Respectfully speaking: some of that 30% may be green card holders.
Oh yeah.... suuuuuure. How naive (or blind) can people be??

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
CA is already part of Mexico. Same with El Paso or San Antonio. American politicians do NOT have any BALLS and that is why the US is being colonized by illegal aliens... by force too, I may add.

Quote:
Hey Faith10,

Honest question, tell me where you are going where you see everything in Spanish in SoCal.

Sure there are some areas, but all of the nice coastal properties are still very White. OC is all White/English except for Santa Ana.

I spend time in Long Beach, Orange County, San Diego County, and I am not seeing everything in Spanish, for the most part ALL Costal Cities are white/english, Country cities like Temecula, Palm Springs are white/english.

Black people in CA? Well Long Beach, Central Los Angeles, and San Diego has a lot of the Black Population, but I do think it is in decline.

It is not just the black population that is in decline in CA. It is every non-Hispanic race.

Most are leaving CA, some are being killed by the illegal invaders, and others just seem to be dwindling in numbers due to the large scale invasion. It LOOKS like they are dwindling because the invaders outnumber Americans in many parts of the US. El Paso has been completely taken over, with a almost 80% Hispanic population. Ask people who have lived there for a while. It was not always like that. You telling me these are all Citizens!? PLEASE!

El Paso, Texas (TX) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,332,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
From experience, I have never seen an Anglo taxi cab, mini-mart attendant, liqour store attendant. However, that does not mean they are illegal. We can't assume every immigrant is illegal. I'm starting to see people on this forum have problems with immigrants, primarily Latinos and how markets cater to Latinos. "Oh when are they going to learn to be like the rest of us," personally, I don't want to be like the rest of everyone. I have no problem watching Spanish commercials or reading Spanish flyers. It seems that people find more and more ways to complain about things and quite frankly the people that do this probably don't have the best of lives. I am not bothered by the fact that recent immigrants don't speak the language-- I can see why they don't.
I don't think you can assume that we don't have "the best of lives", just because we don't believe in illegal immigration. Most people have issues that they care about and are in fact, passionate about - it doesn't mean there's something wrong with their lives.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,083,054 times
Quote:
Hey Faith10,

"Sure there are some areas." A real understatement. I've lived in So. CA my whole life in Los Angeles county. L.A. county, Riverside County, San Bernadino County, etc. are largely Hispanic now, with small pockets of mostly white areas you mentioned like OC and good amount of Asians there...wealthy area. Coastal property is where the rich live, not as many Hispanics but growing. There is much Hispanic population in San Diego county, and Temecula close to S.D. is not mostly white, it has much Hispanic. Palm Springs quite wealthy as is Beverly Hills. I can go 40 miles in any direction and see 80% to 95% Hispanics.

I live in a nice small city 35 miles from L.A. and do not see many 'whites' for several years now...they left in the mid 90's to other states. What I see is Hispanics speaking mostly Spanish in public and at home, and only 3 whites out of 40 to 50 people in cities around where I live...Hispanics with a few Asians. One exception is Hollywood, and a couple cities around it which still have noticeable white population dwindling in favor of Hispanics. I see much Spanish spoken, much Spanish signs and Spanish music in stores and in cars and you get the strong feeling that you are south of the border. Even over half of the grocery stores are Hispanic in culture.

Last edited by faith10; 12-05-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration