Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM

24,215 posts, read 16,899,255 times

Advertisements

Yesterday on NPR I heard a story about a immigrant that has been in this country for 12 years. He has 2 degrees and is working in the pharmaceutical development dept of a company that has paid the fees twice for his Visas so he could stay. Due to a rush of immigrants the US will be going to a lottery system where this productive guy who follows all the rules may be sent packing.
Today on the Laura Ingalls show she talked about an illegal alien who killed someone when he was drunk driving. He was 4 times over the legal limit. That was bad enough but this illegal alien had been caught by the Police before for crimes he committed and nothing happened to him. He should have been deported then simply for being in this country illegally. The poor guy he ran over would still be alive today.
I just don't know why we deport productive smart people when their Visas run out but we allow the illegal aliens that run amok of our laws all over the place to stay?
I often hear stories of families that are split up due to an immigration mistake but seldom do we hear about the criminals being sent home. In fact we hear more about them being allowed to stay.
So is the moral of the story don't follow the law?
When will it make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 94,906 times
I had a friend who had got a degree in Mechanical Engineering he had to go home to Rwanda after he graduated because he couldn't find a job. He was told he had 3 months to leave so he did the right thing and went home. Even though he had a kid that was American. So basically people that do the right thing can't stay in Murica'. But if your break all the rules then you get to stay longer maybe even your hole life.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,479,492 times
The law must be followed.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,631,788 times
I think its more of an invasion with you have tens of millions of people that don't belong here.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,889,212 times
The immigration system could be fixed quite easily:
1. Create a points system like most other logical countries (for instance, you get points for age, educational attainment, professional experience, and so on);
2. Only allow those who have enough points can immigrate;
3. Those who aren't eligible need to find another country to immigrate to.

Of course, there could be exceptions such as a foreign person married to an American and those with exceptional skills (say academics, artists, athletes)...just like other countries have.

I am not "anti-immigrant"; in fact, I firmly believe that immigration is what has made the US so successful and unique. However, I think there should be a standard for which immigrants are allowed to come into the country based on the country's needs. The US is no longer a country in need of more people.

As for undocumented/illegal immigrants who are already here -- particularly those who have been here for most of their lives through no fault of their own -- I believe there should be a path to citizenship. However, there should be a 'grandfather' clause, and this "loophole" should be closed by 2017 (or so). If people don't complete their citizenship paperwork by 2017, then -- sorry -- they will have to be deported.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,631,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
1. Create a points system like most other logical countries (for instance, you get points for age, educational attainment, professional experience, and so on);

Of course, there could be exceptions such as a foreign person married to an American and those with exceptional skills (say academics, artists, athletes)...just like other countries have.

I am not "anti-immigrant"; in fact, I firmly believe that immigration is what has made the US so successful and unique. However, I think there should be a standard for which immigrants are allowed to come into the country based on the country's needs. The US is no longer a country in need of more people.

As for undocumented/illegal immigrants who are already here -- particularly those who have been here for most of their lives through no fault of their own -- I believe there should be a path to citizenship. However, there should be a 'grandfather' clause, and this "loophole" should be closed by 2017 (or so). If people don't complete their citizenship paperwork by 2017, then -- sorry -- they will have to be deported.
I disagree with rewarding illegals who come here through no fault of their own. Its actually rewarding the parent. Why should we feel guilty? Why don't the children blame the parent & their home government?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

424 posts, read 591,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think its more of an invasion with you have tens of millions of people that don't belong here.
As a true "New Yorker," I'm someone who's ancestors were ran out of The Bronx in the 1700s when your forefathers killed off most of my families tribe with small pox, I'm not reluctant to say many of the hundreds of millions of people don't "belong here" aside from the descendant of Africans who were forced to come here.

As for logic, I do think America, the nation we know it, need better mitigation with how the land is shared, but comments like the one above disgust me. If you want such sense of entitlement, take yourself back to Europe... Asia... Whatever continent your ancestors "migrated" from before they became apart of the brutal blood pie that took place here before you were a seed.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post

We already drew a hard line in 86, guess what that got us.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,480,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When will it make sense.
The day American's demand accountability from the people who took an OATH
to uphold the laws of the United States of America !

Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM

424 posts, read 465,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yesterday on NPR I heard a story about a immigrant that has been in this country for 12 years. He has 2 degrees and is working in the pharmaceutical development dept of a company that has paid the fees twice for his Visas so he could stay. Due to a rush of immigrants the US will be going to a lottery system where this productive guy who follows all the rules may be sent packing.
Today on the Laura Ingalls show she talked about an illegal alien who killed someone when he was drunk driving. He was 4 times over the legal limit. That was bad enough but this illegal alien had been caught by the Police before for crimes he committed and nothing happened to him. He should have been deported then simply for being in this country illegally. The poor guy he ran over would still be alive today.
I just don't know why we deport productive smart people when their Visas run out but we allow the illegal aliens that run amok of our laws all over the place to stay?
I often hear stories of families that are split up due to an immigration mistake but seldom do we hear about the criminals being sent home. In fact we hear more about them being allowed to stay.
So is the moral of the story don't follow the law?
When will it make sense.
I think you were sort of duped. A lot of NPR stations have become pro-illegal as the Democratic party starts to truly understand the enormous implications of the voter gold mine the open border policy created over the past 28 years.

Usually they'll feature an illegal the middle classes can relate to, such as your first pharmaceutical guy or some hard working Pole or Irish person (a white person basically). Then after bringing you to tears through his plight, they'll argue that you should be in support of "reform" to help the poor man. And of course you want to help him! You're human, aren't you? And he's kind of like you if you think about it. What if that was you? My God!

I wouldn't fall for it though. It's meant to divert your attention from the real issue, which is that we're not enforcing the law and pandering to special interest groups. If he's at risk of losing out to a lottery, it's because policy has determined that there are too many in his field, so there should be a lottery. It's sad but we cannot have pure open borders. It is what it is. If he's educated and skilled, he'll do fine in his home country or elsewhere, or win the lottery.

This is how immigration works in pretty much every country in the world. If you support "reform" so he can stay because you feel sorry for him, then you'll also be supporting legislation which lets the poor uneducated people who make up 98% of our illegals stay too, which is the true goal. My grandpy would call that a "feel, felt, found" approach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration