Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:42 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I love Arbys as much as the next guy, but this week I got a flyer with their coupons which gave equal space and print in hispanic.
I would expect this if 50% of their customers were non-english speaking latinos. We all know this isn't the case and they are blatantly pandering to hispanics.

I have a problem with any business which enables the behavior of hispanics who are too uneducated, arrogant or contemptuous of the US that they expect our society to change just for them.

When I see a business doing this, I stop giving them my patronage and urge other Americans to do the same. I also tell the management in person, and in writing. They pretend not to care, but when they lose their American customers they'll quickly change their policies to chomp at their almighty dollar.

Other examples I've seen are grocery stores, Walmarts, and auto parts stores. Please list others you know of here.

Keep America a place where Legal Immigrants strive to achieve their dreams and call home.

My father is a legal hispanic immigrant...please save racist comments for the far left.
This what people are complaining about. Everyone DEMANDS we speak Spanish and everything be in Spanish.

I am NOT going to Arby's anymore.... but again I only went to Arby's once in the last two months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I don't understand why you are even interested in shopping in the restaurant industry at all. From every level- fast food to 5 star- all you would hear is Spanish spoken in the back. Of course there are exceptions, but it just strikes me as odd that one would boycott a restaurant based on Spanish written on coupons when that's only a minor infraction in the illegal immigration debate.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't understand why you are even interested in shopping in the restaurant industry at all. From every level- fast food to 5 star- all you would hear is Spanish spoken in the back. Of course there are exceptions, but it just strikes me as odd that one would boycott a restaurant based on Spanish written on coupons when that's only a minor infraction in the illegal immigration debate.

yes, but at least it is one where we have the POWER to do something about it, albeit small.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yes, but at least it is one where we have the POWER to do something about it, albeit small.
Exactly.

I stopped going to Hardee's. Their signs said "Need a job? No English needed." in spanish *no english*. I even informed the manager on duty, store manager, and corporate (in writing) know that I will no longer be going there because of that.

I understand having both - maximize profit. But to have something like that, no.

I will join in the Arby's boycott. Feel free to join my Hardee's boycott.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:03 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Exactly.

I stopped going to Hardee's. Their signs said "Need a job? No English needed." in spanish *no english*. I even informed the manager on duty, store manager, and corporate (in writing) know that I will no longer be going there because of that.

I understand having both - maximize profit. But to have something like that, no.

WOW, Kurarai . . . that's a low blow!

Considering the posts on here . . . ARBY'S HAS SEEN MY LAST DOLLAR!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Wow...that's just....wow. If we had Hardee's here, I'd gladly boycott them with you.

As for me, I think I've had my last Subway sandwich. I don't know if the people working there are legal or not; a lot of businesses in Texas use H2 visas for temporary workers. Regardless of their status, I am sick...sick...sick...sick...SICK of dealing with people who CANNOT SPEAK MY LANGUAGE. They're working directly with the public, having to take orders for sandwiches. I would assume English is a pre-requisite. I had to order a sandwich in Spanish AGAIN today. I really hate having to do that.

Also...what is the deal with Latinos in food service being so stingy with things? Anyone else piles the toppings on...the Latinos literally pinch a tiny amount of onions between their thumb and index finger and think that that's enough. I mean, come on; they're ONIONS, not diamonds. When you ask for more they roll their eyes at you. Everyone in line (and it was a lot of people) were asking for a little more this and a little more that. You'd think after a few hours, days, weeks, whatever of this that they'd get the message. Apparently not. And don't get me started on how they ********* with french fries. When I go to my local Sonic, I breathe a sigh of relief if the person taking my order sounds American. If I hear a Hispanic accent it's almost a guarantee I'll get shortchanged on the fries or something else, or the order will be wrong altogether.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't see the difference. It's not that hard to cook for yourself and better for your waistline and pocketbook too. If you're going to boycott a restaurant for simply having Spanish written on a coupon, then why not boycott restaurants for hiring illegal immigrants? I really honest to goodness don't see why, if people feel so strongly about it, they would only go halfway.

Why is it that those who are so vehemently against illegal immigration only go halfway? If you support a cause, commit to it... you change nothing by complaining on a message board and boycotting one restaurant.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Exactly.

i can't believe you had that problem in Hampton Roads. Hardee's was my fav joint back in the 757. Guess i'll boycott Hardees too, mainly b/c there are none in NoVA. Arby's i never ate there anyway and now i never will.

The McDonalds here are a lot worse it is all spainsh in the kitchens and even the folks up front can barely understand you. This happens no matter where the resturant is a good area or bad area.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
This what people are complaining about. Everyone DEMANDS we speak Spanish and everything be in Spanish.

I am NOT going to Arby's anymore.... but again I only went to Arby's once in the last two months.
Who? People don't seem to get that someone who works in a front counter has to know some level of English.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Who? People don't seem to get that someone who works in a front counter has to know some level of English.
I invite you to the Subway in Richardson, Texas, at the intersection of Plano Road and Campbell. Meet me there tomorrow and I'll point out to you a "sandwich artist" who does not appear to know the English words for "lettuce", "tomato", "cucumber", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration