U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 PM

68 posts, read 53,929 times

Advertisements

We all know that illegal immigration is a huge problem in the US, but how about legal immigration, i.e. the "wet foot, dry foot" policy, allowing Cubans to ship over to our shores.

Have you been to Miami (or South Florida) lately? You think California is bad---try being a "gringo" and living here without speaking Espanol. Miami has gone from a nice resort town to an urban mass of decay, which resembles San Juan more than it resembles anywhere in the United States. You complain about Mexifornia, but what about North Cuba? Just because these are legal immigrants, it doesn't make it right, especially as Americans are/have been driven away from South Florida because of the situation down here.

My question is why does the "wet foot, dry foot" rule still stand and why are Cubans allowed in, while Haitians are turned away? Cubans have had decades to get rid of Castro, yet they choose to come to the US instead. The funny part is that I don't wish to sound racist, but they are literally destroying South Florida. You think Mexicans refuse to assimilate? Try living in Miami, in which not only do people refuse to assimilate, but they don't even bother to learn English and many actually discriminate against Anglo-Americans who don't know Spanish (this is true).

What are your thoughts on this? Should we stop "wet foot, dry foot" now, or keep letting the Cubans wash up on our shores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
There was already a thread on this.. which I think has since closed.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
There was already a thread on this.. which I think has since closed.
Where is the thread?

If it's closed, I wouldn't have been able to contribute to it anyway

Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 PM

Your in luck, its not closed.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...ot-policy.html

Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo1 View Post
We all know that illegal immigration is a huge problem in the US, but how about legal immigration, i.e. the "wet foot, dry foot" policy, allowing Cubans to ship over to our shores.

Have you been to Miami (or South Florida) lately? You think California is bad---try being a "gringo" and living here without speaking Espanol. Miami has gone from a nice resort town to an urban mass of decay, which resembles San Juan more than it resembles anywhere in the United States. You complain about Mexifornia, but what about North Cuba? Just because these are legal immigrants, it doesn't make it right, especially as Americans are/have been driven away from South Florida because of the situation down here.

My question is why does the "wet foot, dry foot" rule still stand and why are Cubans allowed in, while Haitians are turned away? Cubans have had decades to get rid of Castro, yet they choose to come to the US instead. The funny part is that I don't wish to sound racist, but they are literally destroying South Florida. You think Mexicans refuse to assimilate? Try living in Miami, in which not only do people refuse to assimilate, but they don't even bother to learn English and many actually discriminate against Anglo-Americans who don't know Spanish (this is true).

What are your thoughts on this? Should we stop "wet foot, dry foot" now, or keep letting the Cubans wash up on our shores?
I oppose the wet foot dry foot policy. It's primarily a politically oriented policy with no real reason for it to exist. But on a wider scope, I oppose all legal immigration at this time. In the last 50 odd years we've doubled our population with most of the growth resulting from immigration and immigrates having children.

We need to establish a complete moratorium on all immigration as soon as possible. For all intents and purposes we have no immigration policy anyway. If you can't get in legally then just sneak in. Chances are you won't get caught, and the democrats will be pushing an amnesty after this next election cycle anyway. The wet foot, dry foot policy flies in the face of this. Besides, Castro is going to die soon anyway. Democracy will come to Cuba, and our immigration policies should normalize.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I oppose the wet foot dry foot policy. It's primarily a politically oriented policy with no real reason for it to exist. But on a wider scope, I oppose all legal immigration at this time. In the last 50 odd years we've doubled our population with most of the growth resulting from immigration and immigrates having children.

We need to establish a complete moratorium on all immigration as soon as possible. For all intents and purposes we have no immigration policy anyway. If you can't get in legally then just sneak in. Chances are you won't get caught, and the democrats will be pushing an amnesty after this next election cycle anyway. The wet foot, dry foot policy flies in the face of this. Besides, Castro is going to die soon anyway. Democracy will come to Cuba, and our immigration policies should normalize.
I respectfully disagree about banning all immigration-------although; I am OK with using the 1965 on down guidelines.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM

273 posts, read 178,299 times
Scarey in Miami. I was there 7 years ago and asked the cashier in Walmart a question. She spoke zero English and I've been ranting ever since.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post

Are you kidding me? Castro's brother will take over who is also a communist.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
Scarey in Miami. I was there 7 years ago and asked the cashier in Walmart a question. She spoke zero English and I've been ranting ever since.
Try living here. It makes Los Angeles look like the most apple pie/American city in the US!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Are you kidding me? Castro's brother will take over who is also a communist.
What gets me is that Eastern European nations managed to overthrow Communist dictators and establish democracy. Why can't Cubans? Oh wait, they choose to hop on a raft and escape to Miami instead of actually helping their own country achieve democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration