U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,304,768 times
Reputation: 1423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Multiculturalism is not the same as love and it can be forced if need be....
And what will be the result of that? which vibes would be generated.

Fear
Frustration
Anger
Hate
Racism
Selfishness and a long etc

why force multiculturalism if it could be something that happens naturally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,715,030 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
In order for multiculturalism to work, there must be a blending, a melding of societies, not, as it has been in the U.S., a determination to keep one's culture and society separate and apart from that of the American people at any cost.
IMO, for a blending of cultures to occur immigration must involve limited numbers of people from different places coming to the US. Somewhat similar to the much maligned quota system. This way there would not be a critical mass of people from one area that allowed them to essentially continue to live as 'Indonesians (or Norwegians or Polish, etc.) in American', never as Americans. Even during the Great Wave of immigration early in the 20th century, care was taken to settle groups of immigrants in different states and cities specifically so we would not have all German immigrants living in Pennsylvania, for example. The immigrants assimilated because they wanted to and they had to. As the new immigrants became Americans, this allowed us to enrich the US with the good things from different cultures- Italian food, French wine, the miracles of German auto engineering (although that happened later).
Today we have the majority of immigrants coming from one area of the world. As Kele said, there is "determination to keep one's culture and society separate and apart from that of the American people at any cost."
This is not a healthy trend and we seriously need to a) reduce immigration levels for a period of time and b) 'rebalance' our immigrant population. Priority needs to be given to parts of the world that have not been large donors to the recent immigrant influx. I think people from SE Asia, Eastern Europe and other countries should have an equal chance to become US citizens.
edit to add:
Before anyone starts shouting racist and xenophobe (on second thought, shout away if you want) this would also be healthier for the hispanic population in the US in the long run. Stop the influx of new immigrants. Many Americans are rightfully concerned about the very large numbers of people from SOB. IF there is a halt for a number of years, alot of the rhetoric would die down. And the communities here,without a constant flow of new immigrants, would over time integrate into US society. They would have to. The La Raza types will always want a Aztlan or whatever, but their siren song will appeal to fewer and fewer people as time goes on.

Last edited by andreabeth; 12-06-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,304,768 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
IMO, for a blending of cultures to occur immigration must involve limited numbers of people from different places coming to the US. Somewhat similar to the much maligned quota system. This way there would not be a critical mass of people from one area that allowed them to essentially continue to live as 'Indonesians (or Norwegians or Polish, etc.) in American', never as Americans. Even during the Great Wave of immigration early in the 20th century, care was taken to settle groups of immigrants in different states and cities specifically so we would not have all German immigrants living in Pennsylvania, for example. The immigrants assimilated because they wanted to and they had to. As the new immigrants became Americans, this allowed us to enrich the US with the good things from different cultures- Italian food, French wine, the miracles of German auto engineering (although that happened later).
Today we have the majority of immigrants coming from one area of the world. As Kele said, there is "determination to keep one's culture and society separate and apart from that of the American people at any cost."
This is not a healthy trend and we seriously need to a) reduce immigration levels for a period of time and b) 'rebalance' our immigrant population. Priority needs to be given to parts of the world that have not been large donors to the recent immigrant influx. I think people from SE Asia, Eastern Europe and other countries should have an equal chance to become US citizens.
edit to add:
Before anyone starts shouting racist and xenophobe (on second thought, shout away if you want) this would also be healthier for the hispanic population in the US in the long run. Stop the influx of new immigrants. Many Americans are rightfully concerned about the very large numbers of people from SOB. IF there is a halt for a number of years, alot of the rhetoric would die down. And the communities here,without a constant flow of new immigrants, would over time integrate into US society. They would have to. The La Raza types will always want a Aztlan or whatever, but their siren song will appeal to fewer and fewer people as time goes on.
If they only knew what Aztlan means, it is something that Aztecs forsaked guided by their God to become Mexicas, Mexica is power! maybe these people haven't felt the Mexica power and are wanting to return to an Aztlan that no longer exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
185 posts, read 319,724 times
Reputation: 149
"Someone has to say it" God bless Tom Tancredo! These ads are the God's honest truth summed up in 30 seconds each, this is a grave situation we're facing and no body is talking about it, let alone doing something about it.

I've said it before, we're going to die by M & M's (Mexicans and Muslims.) The illegal Mexicans are already killing Americans every day. The Muslims are more or less quietly assembling in America, they're starting by using our liberties against us. Foot wash stations, cab drivers refusing fares if they're carrying alcohol, grocery store tellers refusing to touch pork, flying imams acting like terrorists then accusing the people that pointed out their behavior of profiling.

When the Muslims have finished assembling we are going to die by the thousands if not tens of thousands.

I'm curious to see what TV stations, if any, will broadcast these ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 PM
 
229 posts, read 311,793 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But you know, whatever about the white, native born Americans who rape kids and get off because laws in many states are not strict enough. Or the native born gang members in the inner city because the US cannot control it's poverty and has inadequate social safety nets.

Focus on the immigration issue- fine. But don't use fear to draw the minds of Americans away from other problems.
Agreed. And the fact also remains that the vast majority of rapes are committed by family members and people that they know. Kind of throws this whole ignorant and fear-mongering argument out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,695,138 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicotti View Post
Agreed. And the fact also remains that the vast majority of rapes are committed by family members and people that they know. Kind of throws this whole ignorant and fear-mongering argument out the window.
No one is contesting the fact that native born Americans commit crimes, many of them unspeakable.

However, to categorically label all those who oppose illegal immigration on the basis of criminal activity as ignorant or fear mongering leaves out one very important part of this argument.

With all of America's homegrown criminals committing crimes against her citizens daily, why in the name of sanity, would we advocate the importation of more depraved individuals to join in the carnage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
 
229 posts, read 311,793 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
No one is contesting the fact that native born Americans commit crimes, many of them unspeakable.

However, to categorically label all those who oppose illegal immigration on the basis of criminal activity as ignorant or fear mongering leaves out one very important part of this argument.

With all of America's homegrown criminals committing crimes against her citizens daily, why in the name of sanity, would we advocate the importation of more depraved individuals to join in the carnage?
I apologize for the much belated response. However, if you read my post, you would recognize that I was specifically talking about an argument from this ridiculous and untrue aspect. In addition, why are immigrants depraved? Simply because they are immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicotti View Post
I apologize for the much belated response. However, if you read my post, you would recognize that I was specifically talking about an argument from this ridiculous and untrue aspect. In addition, why are immigrants depraved? Simply because they are immigrants?
Legal immigrants are welcome here.............assuming they are otherwise law abiding.

Illegal immigrants are lawbreakers with most of them outright criminals------------they need to be deported and have their assets seized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,150,484 times
Reputation: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But you know, whatever about the white, native born Americans who rape kids and get off because laws in many states are not strict enough. Or the native born gang members in the inner city because the US cannot control it's poverty and has inadequate social safety nets.

Focus on the immigration issue- fine. But don't use fear to draw the minds of Americans away from other problems.
Why do we need to import more barbarians than the ones we manufacture here. Your argument is hot air, nothing more. These gangs rape anything in sight and even people of color suffer at their hands. You seem to want to make this a race issue and nothing more. Why would you protect illegal immigration when it brings in waves of gangs along with the workers? Enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Legal immigrants are welcome here.............assuming they are otherwise law abiding.

Illegal immigrants are lawbreakers with most of them outright criminals------------they need to be deported and have their assets seized.
I would rep you if I could... Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top