U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
*shrug* If the illegals weren't streaming across the border voluntarily, this problem wouldn't exist.
My point is that they wouldn't be streaming across the border if the crooked politicians and corporations weren't begging them to be here, all under the table of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Except for medical care, and only in life threatening situations, no government benifits, of any kind, should be extended to those in this country illegally.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
My point is that they wouldn't be streaming across the border if the crooked politicians and corporations weren't begging them to be here, all under the table of course.
I suppose we could debate this until the end of time; let's just agree to disagree. I think we do agree on solutions, which to me is more important than who is at fault.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I suppose we could debate this until the end of time; let's just agree to disagree. I think we do agree on solutions, which to me is more important than who is at fault.
The problem is that both you and and Synopsis are correct.

Hence shut off the flow of illegals and punish employers for hiring the above.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 91,389 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I have no doubt that the U.S. government, particularly the Treasury Dept., sees illegal workers as revenue-positive. That's why there's all the games, mixed messages, and double-talk about immigration/illegal immigration at the federal level. It's a shell game. U.S. Treasury is no less complicit than Mexican/other source-country treasury and/or your local ag, food processing, hospitality, or construction co. HR.

Guess you didn't get the memo: Crime Pays.

So what if it hits local communities disproportionately. Surely part of the equation from the get-go--we're not talking about amateurs here.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Since when has supporting your family become greedy? They know they can't support their family well in Mexico. Mostly everything in Mexico is priced to the dollar and people don't make dollars. Lazy? Oh spare me. Again, it is not the peoples fault the country's economy is as it is, it is the Governments. And even that is changing for the better.
At what point did it become acceptable to support your family at the expense of others?

If I cannot support my family, is it then acceptable for me to disregard the law in order to do so? At what point have I crossed the line of laws which it you believe it is okay to overlook in the name of supporting one's family? Shoplifting? Breaking and entering? Armed robbery?

Without the rule of law, there is anarchy. It is not appropriate in any lawful society to allow one group of people to disregard sovereign law while expecting the rest of the population to abide by the same.

There are countries in which poverty is abject. People die by the thousands every day, many of them children. Mexico is NOT one of those countries and it's proximity to our southern border does not give its citizens the right to flagrant disobey our laws in order to "support their families."

Why don't its citizens grow some cajones and fix their own country.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:11 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
At what point did it become acceptable to support your family at the expense of others?

If I cannot support my family, is it then acceptable for me to disregard the law in order to do so? At what point have I crossed the line of laws which it you believe it is okay to overlook in the name of supporting one's family? Shoplifting? Breaking and entering? Armed robbery?

Without the rule of law, there is anarchy. It is not appropriate in any lawful society to allow one group of people to disregard sovereign law while expecting the rest of the population to abide by the same.

There are countries in which poverty is abject. People die by the thousands every day, many of them children. Mexico is NOT one of those countries and it's proximity to our southern border does not give its citizens the right to flagrant disobey our laws in order to "support their families."

You said it, Kele. I've always thought that lots of African people would love to come here for all the benefits - why do the Mexicans ONLY get to do that? Mexico is indeed a very rich country.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

BRAVO. Couldn't have said it any better. The people crossing our border illegally are common criminals, stealing jobs from Americans while lowering wages for blue-collar work across the board. Then when tax-paying, law-abiding Americans say they can't support their families on that salary, the companies laugh all the way to the bank.

Illegal immigration is going to destroy this country. If I wanted to live in Mexico, I'd MOVE to Mexico.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Wait, you already live in Mexico

Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
The illegals can't help themselves. They are being drawn across the border just as surely as the 'Millenium Falcon' was pulled into the 'Death Star' by a tractor beam in the movie Star Wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or