U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM

15,818 posts, read 23,343,497 times
Salads wilt. Stews in pots get better as the ingredients blend - they become better than the sum of their parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-10-2007, 04:44 PM

3,432 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
I'd be willing to take that one step further, Synopsis: This country is starting to feel more like an amalgamation of separate "ethno-tribal" groups--all with their own turf, media outlets, competing interests and identities...at least that's how it feels to me in So Cal. It's feeling less and less like a nation and more like a loosely-held confederation of bantus.

I know someone is going to enjoy misinterpreting this as a racist statement.
Hey, thats Capitalism.

Unread 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM

11,886 posts, read 23,469,111 times
All good points everyone. At least the conversation is civil!

Unread 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM

206 posts, read 242,544 times
No, that's social regression to a state preceding the advent of the nation-state (and, possibly civil society) to a point when we each think of ourselves as members of separate clans rather than as Americans (or any other unified national group).

Unread 05-19-2009, 02:15 PM

291 posts, read 222,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
These politicians are playing "Micky the Dunce" when it comes to illegal immigration. They know damned well what the problems are, but THEY don't have to live in overcrowded neighborhoods, or compete for jobs with illegals, or worry about crime where they live, or listen to a foreign language wherever they go, etc.

They do this "superior dance", pretending to be more "compassionate" than us, but it's really because they don't have to DEAL with the problems on a daily basis, since they're separated by wealth. You can bet your bippy that they'd be thinking just like us, if they had to live "down here" with the peons.
funny you mention live down there with them, because thats when its gets nasty... when they pushed for all those loans for non documented income for minorites they new what they where doing. now we have to spread the wealth and take it since the guy from across the border cant make his house payment since the labor jobs have dryed up. add insult to injury pay taxes then loose all your hard fought for years of home equity to the bastards that are eating off food stamps and living rent free while he packs more of in for the final wait for morgage to go reo ! more money I am robbed of simply beacuse i have no protection our goverment only wants money and votes.
see this about the cdr these people are out to get every usa person to pay so we have next to nothing but our prays for gov to help! right BS!
VDARE.com: 02/01/09 - The Minority Mortgage Meltdown (contd.): How The Community Reinvestment Act Fits In

Unread 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM

16,086 posts, read 11,375,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Yes,ones that came here legally and who did not violate the law.
Nor use tax payer funded social services like wic, SSI or welfare, come here strictly to have a kid, drive without a license, registration or insurance. They didn't abuse the public school system, work under the table to avoid taxes or undercut labor, create underground economies, increase crime ten fold or send back billions in remittances never to be seen again, and above all......

they assimilated, they did so to a point I could have a freaking coversation with them.... in ENGLISH.

Unread 05-19-2009, 05:48 PM

804 posts, read 741,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I disagree with you. The reason we are seeing people stand up and defend this country is because the invasion is much worse now than it was in the past. Most reputable sources have the invasion at around 20 to 30 million strong. The invasion has gotten to the point where they are doing much more damage to America than an actual invading military army would. We are losing our borders, language, culture, and our very sovereignty itself.
Oh noes!! The sky is falling!!!... (Had an urge to do that after reading through this thread.

I wonder how much of this is true. I would like to see figures of the damage illegal aliens are doing corrected for the benefits of having them here. ( Like keeping the industries that depend on their cheap labor alive. ) I think comparing it to an invading army is ridiculous, maybe we should ask some European countries, Japan, Iraq, etc. if they think it's similar.

The borders are in the same place, I do not think this is any government's plot to populate a certain area of this country to later have it vote it sovereign. Language, and culture, uhmm, I would think more of a merger than of a take over. I like to think of language and culture as an evolving matter, constantly changing. And the U.S. culture in particularly adapts and changes rather fast and is more of a mix of cultures than a monolithic one, to the point that the culture of a city-raised resident of New York or L.A. is different from someone born in a rural location with under 1K people. Neither is better, yet both are different.

Unread 05-19-2009, 07:53 PM

45,280 posts, read 29,498,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Oh noes!! The sky is falling!!!... (Had an urge to do that after reading through this thread.

I wonder how much of this is true. I would like to see figures of the damage illegal aliens are doing corrected for the benefits of having them here. ( Like keeping the industries that depend on their cheap labor alive. ) I think comparing it to an invading army is ridiculous, maybe we should ask some European countries, Japan, Iraq, etc. if they think it's similar.

The borders are in the same place, I do not think this is any government's plot to populate a certain area of this country to later have it vote it sovereign. Language, and culture, uhmm, I would think more of a merger than of a take over. I like to think of language and culture as an evolving matter, constantly changing. And the U.S. culture in particularly adapts and changes rather fast and is more of a mix of cultures than a monolithic one, to the point that the culture of a city-raised resident of New York or L.A. is different from someone born in a rural location with under 1K people. Neither is better, yet both are different.

Industries that hire illegals are doing Americans no good at all and there is no loss if they go under. They can be replaced by honest industries that pay legal wages and follow the laws.

If someone can only make a business run by hiring particular foreigners, then they ought to simply relocate their business to that foreign country.

Unread 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM

45,280 posts, read 29,498,275 times
Imagine a business owner in Mexico, deep inside Mexico that said he could only hire American citizens, that he felt Mexicans were too lazy, wanted too high of pay, and no matter what the laws are there, was going to hire only Americans. Citizens of Mexico need never apply.

How well would that go over in that country? Yet we're constantly told the same thing.

Unread 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM

8,972 posts, read 9,693,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Imagine a business owner in Mexico, deep inside Mexico that said he could only hire American citizens, that he felt Mexicans were too lazy, wanted too high of pay, and no matter what the laws are there, was going to hire only Americans. Citizens of Mexico need never apply.

How well would that go over in that country? Yet we're constantly told the same thing.
If such an event did, in fact, occur, my guess would be that the local Mexican populace would frown upon this practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration