Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,034,528 times

Advertisements

TF they are not the educated types such as you, they are straight off the rancheras in many cases. I was in line for a football game and I heard some guys joking about taking a 'pistola' in...NOT FUNNY. I probably should have reported them but I would fear reprisal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 02:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
but not all people who break in are like that,
They BROKE IN. That fact, in and of itself, is enough. They showed a disregard for our laws.
I, and most of the people I know, have aboslutely NO ISSUE with legal immigrants. We all know the history, the contributions made by the many many groups of people who came here to be part of our great country. We appreciate that, and respect it. And we want more people like that, who want to be a part of this country, to make their lives better, and by working toward that end, make the USA better. What we DO NOT WANT are the people who think that the laws don't apply to them, that they can simply come in when & how they want, and not worry about our laws. If they have so little disregard for our law concerning immigration, what reason do we have to believe they will respect any of our other laws? What reason have we for wanting to make them part of our nation?

They broke in? Get them back out. Make room for those that are trying to come in legally, learning the laws, waiting on the lines, filling out the forms, learning the language, etc.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,663,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Dismiss her all you want but she has a real point. In the 90's people weren't as worried about illegal immigration. It is only because of the economic pressures that illegal immigration is becomming a big issue politicly.

I would argue though that iillegal immigration is partly the cause of some of these pressures, because illegal immigrants do add to the population, and an increasing population demands increasing GDP to increase the standard of living, and our economic hasn't kept up. This is partly Bush's fault, but it would be better if we didn't keep adding people.

On the other hand, the level of hatred that is brewing against immigrants i a new, shocking thing. There were plenty of Spanish-language things in the 90's and few people openly criticized them. Now it is fair game. This is an ugly trend and I believe a great deal of it is due to subconscious economic insecurities that are being thrown at people of hispanic descent. This has a long history "No Irish Need Apply" and the anti-Yellow Peril laws of the 19th century. Multiculturalism has made this country what it is and the last thing we should do is become some kind of country club for WASPS and honorary-WASPS.

I disagree with you. The reason we are seeing people stand up and defend this country is because the invasion is much worse now than it was in the past. Most reputable sources have the invasion at around 20 to 30 million strong. The invasion has gotten to the point where they are doing much more damage to America than an actual invading military army would. We are losing our borders, language, culture, and our very sovereignty itself.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,335,082 times
I think a BIG part of this anti-illegal sentiment right now is because of the way the illegals act.

Who wants somebody to march in their streets with another country's flag, and scream for their so-called "rights" when they don't have any? Who wants to deal with screaming, obnoxious, pushy people who won't obey our laws, and disrespect each and every one of us, while, at the SAME time, holding out their hands for us to give them everything we have?!

They are their own worst enemies, they are biting the hand that feeds them, and that has a lot to do with Americans' disgust with them.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

186 posts, read 334,670 times
Multiculturalism didn't make America, the melting pot did.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,935,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
Multiculturalism didn't make America, the melting pot did.
It takes multi-culturalism to make a melting pot. You can't really make a melting pot with all blacks, or all whites, or one color nor one culture. I hate using wikipedia as a source but..

Quote:
The culture of the United States is a Western culture, and has been developing since long before the United States became a country. Today the United States of America is a diverse and multi-cultural country as product of mass scale immigration from so many countries
Culture of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 PM

206 posts, read 409,946 times
I think our society has become so racially-focused that we miss the more important intangibles. We think of people who built this country in terms of ethnic groups when, in fact, those responsible for this country's success are the industrious and the ingenious across all ethnic groups--just as those responsible for its current demise are the cowardly, irresponsible, and criminally-intended across all ethnic groups.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,825,853 times
I think what txcollegeboy was referring to is that America "used to be" the melting pot due to the many cultures melting together. They retained much of their culture but "melded" together rather than being separate. Today, I've heard the U.S. is much more like a salad bowl than a melting pot, with many cultures choosing to remain separate from each other. Just my observation for what it is worth.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,935,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think what txcollegeboy was referring to is that America "used to be" the melting pot due to the many cultures melting together. They retained much of their culture but "melded" together rather than being separate. Today, I've heard the U.S. is much more like a salad bowl than a melting pot, with many cultures choosing to remain separate from each other. Just my observation for what it is worth.

Even then, that took quite a bit of time for the cultures to mend. And it was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th generations who made the mending happen. Not recent immigrants, they too will spawn children and become part of the mending. We just have to give it time. If we close our borders, and as long as Hispanics will keep on having babies, their children and their children's children will become apart of the mending

Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM

206 posts, read 409,946 times
I'd be willing to take that one step further, Synopsis: This country is starting to feel more like an amalgamation of separate "ethno-tribal" groups--all with their own turf, media outlets, competing interests and identities...at least that's how it feels to me in So Cal. It's feeling less and less like a nation and more like a loosely-held confederation of bantus.

I know someone is going to enjoy misinterpreting this as a racist statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration