U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
This is the same church that gave safe passage and harbor to pedophile criminals to allow them to escape prosecution. I was raised Catholic and I am thoroughly disgusted with the church as an institution.
I was raised Catholic also and feel the same way. Not all Catholics follow everything the church says anymore. The Catholic church is a dinosar that should pay more attention to their pedophile problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 AM

186 posts, read 299,258 times
I wonder if they would be saying this if the immigrants were Protestant?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Is there hypocrisy and corruption polluting a beautiful way to God? making people flee from truth because of these vibes? what do you think people?

Is the Catholic church protecting immigrants for compassion? or it is because of selfishness, self interest and desire of more power and influence?
I'm a Catholic, and the Church publishes many articles on illegal mmigration, but I don't remember them ever being called "illegal". They're just immigrants.

The Church is just about the OLDEST institution on earth. Along with the great amount of good it has done, it has suffered tremendous corruption and incompetance in some of its "officials". The "pedophile" scandal is the latest example. Lets just say that some VERY well-placed people are going to have a LOT to answer for someday.

Meanwhile, I suspect that the Church's position on illegals is probably a comination of many things---a very real compassion for the world's "downtrodden"---an attempt to "make up" for some of the things the Church SHOULD HAVE done in the past, and "dropped the ball"---and yes, the quest for "new members".

Like any other institution, the Church sometimes emphasizes one thing to the neglect of another. If "Christ were standing on the Border", (says the Church)He would obviously feel compassion for the illegals--- well of course He would.
But He'd probably also feel that there was a lot of "blame" to be spread around for just exactly HOW these people came to be in this condition. And usually, we don't invoke Christ in THAT part of the issue, at all. Maybe we're afraid we wouldn't like what He had to say..(?)

Old 12-07-2007, 08:53 AM

11,397 posts, read 16,003,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Meanwhile, I suspect that the Church's position on illegals is probably a comination of many things---a very real compassion for the world's "downtrodden"---an attempt to "make up" for some of the things the Church SHOULD HAVE done in the past, and "dropped the ball"---and yes, the quest for "new members".
That's very true. I don't think it's all trying to keep bodies in Church, especially because the fastest growing group of Evangelicals are Hispanics, but that certainly has a place. When I was working for a refugee nonprofit which was mostly made up of Central Americans, I got to work with a lot of Catholic Churches and so many of the clergy I met mentioned they felt compelled by Oscar Romero and feel that it is their duty to uphold a level of human rights.

Also, it's not just Catholics who have immigrant sanctuaries. There are many Jewish synagogues which either house immigrants or have their congregation help them out- especially older congregations where there are illegal immigrants or children of illegal immigrants who only survived the Holocaust because they came illegally. Ditto with evangelical churches, though this doesn't seem as common.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) -- California's Catholic bishops are taking a stand on illegal immigration in hopes of influencing the political debate on one of the hottest issues of the 2008 presidential campaign.

The church leaders want to see Congress enact a temporary worker program and help those already here illegally become citizens.
Does this blatant "aiding and abetting" approach surprise anyone, John?

Any group (religious or otherwise) that "shelters and protects" Child Molesters would be expected to defend "the rights" of ILLEGALS.

My approach to this fiasco . . . when any religious organization becomes a Political Entity . . . NO MORE Tax Exempt Status!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
I wonder if they would be saying this if the immigrants were Protestant?
In one word: yes!

Besides; using Hispanics as the guinea pig, maybe 75% of them today are Catholic..........including the ones living in Latin America--------most of the remaining ones are Protestant.

20-30 years ago; maybe 90-95% of all Latinos were Catholic.

If we were inudated by a bunch of Protestant German, etc. illegals; they can go home as well.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,005,685 times
I'm all for the catholic church, or any other church for that matter, having the right to voice their opinion on this political issue. But they should lose their tax exempt status if they do.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,442,184 times
Thumbs down Let The Catholic Church Foot The Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) -- California's Catholic bishops are taking a stand on illegal immigration in hopes of influencing the political debate on one of the hottest issues of the 2008 presidential campaign.

The church leaders want to see Congress enact a temporary worker program and help those already here illegally become citizens.

"As bishops, we call on Catholics and all people of good will to treat each other with dignity and respect and to work together constructively to ensure a positive outcome to this really challenging problem," said Archbishop George Niederauer, leader of the San Francisco Archdiocese.

KCBS - CA Catholic Church Voices Support for Illegal Immigrants
Then let The Catholic Church foot the enormous bill being run up by these illegal lawbreakers...and lawbreakers is what they are! This church can't control their pedophile priests yet they want to tell us how to handle ILLEGAL immigrants!!! Sad sign of the times.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM

206 posts, read 365,881 times
I was brought up Catholic and I completely agree with Hawkeye.

I also think we need to distinguish between compassion and license, or compassion and a disregard for boundaries (of all types). Being compassionate does not mean allowing someone to do whatever he wants, especially to the detriment of others--as is the case with illegal immigration.

And, has anyone considered that, in the long run, we may actually be doing a disservice to Mexico? In the short -term it seems like a benefit to the peasant laborer who can come here for high pay and to Mexican elites who can stave off a revolution. But, what happens in the long-term when the middle class and labor have become so eviscerated over here that the opportunities are 'slim pickins?' What will happen in Mexico when its sources of labor have been greatly reduced due to the exodus? This may not happen tomorrow, but it will happen eventually if current trends continue. The overall effect will be to strengthen the elite classes in both countries while effectively eliminating any hope for democracy in Mexico, because the social pressure that would have resulted in more movements like Chiappas (sp?) would no longer exist due to the population decline. Our democracy will erode progressively as the middle class declines because a strong middle class is a key ingredient for a vibrant democracy.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by blue pekoe; 12-07-2007 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
I was brought up Catholic and I completely agree with Hawkeye.

I also think we need to distinguish between compassion and license, or compassion and a disregard for boundaries (of all types). Being compassionate does not mean allowing someone to do whatever he wants, especially to he detriment of others--as is the case with illegal immigration.

And, has anyone considered that, in the long run, we may actually be doing a disservice to Mexico? In the short -term it seems like a benefit to the peasant laborer who can come here for high pay and to Mexican elites who can stave off a revolution. But, what happens in the long-term when the middle class and labor have become so eviscerated over here that the opportunities are 'slim pickins?' What will happen in Mexico when its sources of labor have been greatly reduced due to the exodus? This may not happen tomorrow, but it will happen eventually if current trends continue. The overall effect will be to strengthen the elite classes in both countries while effectively eliminating any hope for democracy in Mexico, because the social pressure that would have resulted in more movements like Chiappas (sp?) would no longer exist due to the population decline. Our democracy will erode progressively as the middle class declines because a strong middle class is a key ingredient for a vibrant democracy.

I really hope I'm wrong.
Yeppers: I too have noticed that all true democracies are majority Middle Class.

And; let me run with this 'ball' a bit further:

Has anyone noticed that once a single family house lot size grows much above 50' x 100', said parcel becomes too cumbersome hence mandating hired help to maintain things. Note I am not referring to farmers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or