U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 AM

27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) -- California's Catholic bishops are taking a stand on illegal immigration in hopes of influencing the political debate on one of the hottest issues of the 2008 presidential campaign.

The church leaders want to see Congress enact a temporary worker program and help those already here illegally become citizens.

"As bishops, we call on Catholics and all people of good will to treat each other with dignity and respect and to work together constructively to ensure a positive outcome to this really challenging problem," said Archbishop George Niederauer, leader of the San Francisco Archdiocese.

KCBS - CA Catholic Church Voices Support for Illegal Immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:10 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times
Is there hypocrisy and corruption polluting a beautiful way to God? making people flee from truth because of these vibes? what do you think people?

Is the Catholic church protecting immigrants for compassion? or it is because of selfishness, self interest and desire of more power and influence?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,222,879 times
All I can say it who cares what the Catholic Church or anyone else says. The last I knew we were a country of laws.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,831,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
All I can say it who cares what the Catholic Church or anyone else says. The last I knew we were a country of laws.
Well, they are the largest single religious denomination in the US, makeing up 25% of the US population. In PA, more than 50% are catholic.

Personally, I'm not supprised at all.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,971,445 times
This is the same church that gave safe passage and harbor to pedophile criminals to allow them to escape prosecution. I was raised Catholic and I am thoroughly disgusted with the church as an institution.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
This is the same church that gave safe passage and harbor to pedophile criminals to allow them to escape prosecution. I was raised Catholic and I am thoroughly disgusted with the church as an institution.
Ditto, but this without disrespecting the Catholic way to God, just the institution.

btw, what is the impression that Benedicto's eyes give you?

http://serrizomatico.blogia.com/upload/20060914182103-benedicto-img.jpg.php.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
This I will say: with the fallout of the priest sexual abuse scandal still reverberating through the Catholic Church; their decision to back illegal immigrants may very well backfire.

Even in traditionally 'Catholic' countries like Ireland, Mexico, Brazil, etc. the percentage of practitioners is dropping like a stone.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Is there hypocrisy and corruption polluting a beautiful way to God? making people flee from truth because of these vibes? what do you think people?

Is the Catholic church protecting immigrants for compassion? or it is because of selfishness, self interest and desire of more power and influence?
This has nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with GREED. The Catholic Church, as a religious institution, was on a slow decline in the late 20th century here in the U.S.

Illegal immigrants bring in more warm bodies to fill seats and more cash to fill the coffers--plain and simple.

The Catholic Church, unfortunately, has a long history of doing what is in its own best interests. Although Ignatius of Antioch used the term "Catholic Church" in 110 A.D., the actual organization of the church began shortly after the Edict of Milan in 313, which in effect, legalized Christianity. The corruption began shortly after that and has continued through the last 1,694 years.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:19 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
This has nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with GREED. The Catholic Church, as a religious institution, was on a slow decline in the late 20th century here in the U.S.

Illegal immigrants bring in more warm bodies to fill seats and more cash to fill the coffers--plain and simple.

The Catholic Church, unfortunately, has a long history of doing what is in its own best interests.
Very much so------like any other monopolistic de facto 'corporation'.

I find the ending of the Dark Ages coinciding with the Reformation very interesting------almost as if the Catholic Church had to 'improve its product' (tone down its rhetoric, etc) to compete with the new Christian faiths.

Much like generic Islam is petrified of competition in the Middle East hence sharia being tolerated.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 AM

The saddest of this all is that, these kind of actions are what makes people flee from God

Like if he was to blame!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or