Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
That's a damn shame, usually people that are half and act like this are those that have some sort of issue with that parent, usually the lack of a father figure, but it can be the mom too. Well, a person can be angry with hispanics, illegals, whatever you want to call them, but you are what you are, and trying to refuse your culture won't change that, nor will it change their kids.
Total BS.
My ancestors were from Germany. So what? I don't care what they were, that is not who I am or want to be. I am an American. A US Citizen. That is who I am and what I am. This what I also taught my own children. They are Americans.
If we had 8 million illegals from Germany I would be screaming to get that under control. If we have 1 illegal from Germany I want that individual deported. We don't need any more criminals regardless of nation of origin. We certainly produce enough on our own.
A person opting to consider themselves an American first last and always is no race traitor, or culture traitor. I find it quite annoying when people insist on making an issue out of what their ancestry is. Were you born in the USA? Were your parents and grand parents? Then you are American, not italian, german, or polish. You want to recognize your history? Fine, but spare me the I'm an irish, German American BS.
As for hispanics. We have many Hispanic people who are American and many of them, as many as 60% do not favor an amnesty for illegals.
There is nothing wrong with respecting your ancestry, as long as you respect nation you are a citizen of more. To each their own, but please, posting that someone is dysfunctional or has parent issues because they don't want to be identified based on their race, ancestry or culture is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Total BS.
My ancestors were from Germany. So what? I don't care what they were, that is not who I am or want to be. I am an American. A US Citizen. That is who I am and what I am. This what I also taught my own children. They are Americans.
If we had 8 million illegals from Germany I would be screaming to get that under control. If we have 1 illegal from Germany I want that individual deported. We don't need any more criminals regardless of nation of origin. We certainly produce enough on our own.
A person opting to consider themselves an American first last and always is no race traitor, or culture traitor. I find it quite annoying when people insist on making an issue out of what their ancestry is. Were you born in the USA? Were your parents and grand parents? Then you are American, not italian, german, or polish. You want to recognize your history? Fine, but spare me the I'm an irish, German American BS.
As for hispanics. We have many Hispanic people who are American and many of them, as many as 60% do not favor an amnesty for illegals.
There is nothing wrong with respecting your ancestry, as long as you respect nation you are a citizen of more. To each their own, but please, posting that someone is dysfunctional or has parent issues because they don't want to be identified based on their race, ancestry or culture is ridiculous.
Excellent post tinman. Like you I don't have a tribal mentality about my race or ethnicity. As for my nationality I am strictly an American as I was born here not in my ancestor's homelands. The only thing that I would disagree with you on is the percentage of Hispanics who favor amnesty. I believe it is 60% for and 40% against. Poll after poll proves that out.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent post tinman. Like you I don't have a tribal mentality about my race or ethnicity. As for my nationality I am strictly an American as I was born here not in my ancestor's homelands. The only thing that I would disagree with you on is the percentage of Hispanics who favor amnesty. I believe it is 60% for and 40% against. Poll after poll proves that out.
My point was and is that you can be hispanic and be against amnesty. Many many are in fact millions are. The idea that Protoman made it sound as if someone has issues with their race, culture or ethnicity because they are against an amnesty was a personal attack against another poster. I reported it as such.
We can express our views without personal attacks. You and I have disagreed at times, strongly at times, but have never lowered ourselves to personal attacks.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My point was and is that you can be hispanic and be against amnesty. Many many are in fact millions are. The idea that Protoman made it sound as if someone has issues with their race, culture or ethnicity because they are against an amnesty was a personal attack against another poster. I reported it as such.
We can express our views without personal attacks. You and I have disagreed at times, strongly at times, but have never lowered ourselves to personal attacks.
Yes we have and as you said but we do strive to be civil. I admit that some of the things that the defenders of illegal aliens say in here angers me especially when they twist my words and their meanings to make it appear that I hate a certain ethnic group in general. Anyway, moving along I agree that it is ridiculous to claim that one has to be pro-amnesty or they are a race/ethnic traitor. We should be Americans first, respect our laws and put this nation and its law abiding citizens first. No one is above our laws nor should they be rewarded for breaking them.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM

424 posts, read 467,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because they foolishly believe that it will garner more of the Hispanic vote. It's sick when any of our politicians would cater to any group for votes when it isn't in the best interests of this nation.
I've honestly never been bowled over by the Republican party but even I can't believe the majority are this stupid. I think you're hearing this kind of position from Republicans who have no chance, like (Hand) Job Bush and figure pandering is their only choice. The rest must realize that legalizing them will mean about 9 million Democratic and maybe 250,000 Republican votes. Right? Someone please tell me I'm right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration