U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
 
235 posts, read 817,953 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

Here's a nice blurb in the Republic about a landscaping company that does things the right way and has suceeded.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/EJMontini/12519
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
27,817 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Reputation: 17402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
I think this law will help Arizona in the long run. Yes, the initial shock might be a burden, but in the long run it will strengthen Arizona. This law, though very tough, is the most direct way of going after the source of illegal immigration. Our government cannot march into Mexico and fix things there so that their citizens stay, but we can go after the source of the problem here at home.

I completely understand why someone living in Mexico would want to come into the United States. I admire any illegal immigrants drive to succeed and provide for their families. That is all they are trying to do. BUT, we cannot continue to provide services for these people. It is not fair to the American taxpayer and our infrastructure simply cannot keep up. In order to keep up with the influx of illegal immigrants we have to build the equivalent of a major us city each year. That means new roads, new schools, new hospitals, libraries, etc... It is too much, too fast.

It will be very interesting to see how this law changes things, but we should remember to be patient. Keep our eyes on the big picture here. The only real concern is where the illegals currently in AZ are going to go. I think most of them will end up in other states nearby like Nevada before they go back to Mexico.
If you assume that the border is completely open in that anyone who wants to hire an illegal can find one (I think that is true because of the large numbers of day laborers I see), then there is no work in other states. All the jobs for illegals are filled. So they may have to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
 
635 posts, read 1,559,714 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why would you say that? It is a pretty silly remark, actually. Is it because you agree with it? Parts of AZ were sold to the US or ceded as spoils of war. If I sell my house, does the previous owner have a right to come back and live in my garage without my permission?
Mexico gave up its land to the United States because it was forced to. Mexico had no other choice, either that or keep getting more of a royal butt whoopin'. It doesn't matter what stories people keep trying to come up with, Arizona is former Mexico land, and it was taken by force. Yeah Mexico signed the treaty, and they knew if they didn't the U.S. would have kept pounding thre forces into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
 
235 posts, read 817,953 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Mexico gave up its land to the United States because it was forced to. Mexico had no other choice, either that or keep getting more of a royal butt whoopin'. It doesn't matter what stories people keep trying to come up with, Arizona is former Mexico land, and it was taken by force. Yeah Mexico signed the treaty, and they knew if they didn't the U.S. would have kept pounding thre forces into the ground.
As I stated above this is just a stupid line of reasoning. Every piece of real estate on the planet has changed hands countless times from families to tribes to clans to nation states. You're picking an arbitrary point in history and arbitrarily giving one side (mexico) some sort of moral high ground. By your logic the British should be able to immigrate en masse into Pennsylvania because they controlled that piece of ground at one point in History and it was taken by force from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times
Reputation: 5685
Actually, Mexico has been under more foreign occupation than the US ever was. Should Mexico be forced to give back to France? Or Spain? The Spanish took Mexico by force, so did France. Mexico is a "bastardized nation." I do not think that Mexico's claim to AZ or Texas is valid, in fact it is an insult. Most nations took land by war or threat of war, we are no different nor are we less deserving of the land we have now. I guess we should just make nice and give LA back to the French while we are at it. These arguments for us to give our country away, piece by piece are insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times
Reputation: 5685
http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/..._hotel_glasses

For the person who gave me a neg rep point, here is the video. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Mexico gave up its land to the United States because it was forced to.
Mexico was forced to lose the war? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Mexico was forced to lose the war? Do tell.
Yes please tell, I love fiction!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:27 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yes please tell, I love fiction!!!!
The Super Bowl trophy should go to the Bears. After all, they were forced to give it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Reputation: 2086
ahhhh to live in a world of make believe, must be nice for them!!!

p.s. I would rather give it to the Broncos!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top