U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:27 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times

Advertisements

Judge rejects bid to block employer sanctions law

A federal judge on Friday denied a request to temporarily block the state's employer-sanctions law from taking effect, clearing the way for the controversial law to go into effect Jan. 1.

It also sets the stage for an 11th-hour legal showdown in San Francisco, as the business and Hispanic civil-rights groups which have been challenging the law intend to seek an injunction from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals next week.

In his ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Neil V. Wake wrote that despite the plaintiffs' arguments that they would be harmed by the law, the greater harm would be to the general public if the law does not take effect as envisioned by the Legislature.

"The balance of harm tips sharply against Plaintiffs, not in their favor," Wake wrote.

He noted that the county attorneys charged with enforcing the law stated in court earlier this week that they could not bring any enforcement actions until at least Feb. 1, casting doubt on the arguments that the imminent debut of the law would hurt anyone in the short run.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1221sanctionsruling1221-ONL.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 AM

74 posts, read 317,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Yeah, let's all worry about economic things like having cheap vegetables, cheap maids, etc., etc. I think the economy is capable of chugging along without millions of poorly educated immigrants pouring in, especially when you factor in what they cost us in educating their kids, criminal activity, illegitimate births, health care, etc.
Even *if* they were an economic plus, more sensible folks like me are more concerned about maintaining the borders, language, and culture that have served us well for a long time. Without those unifying elements, this will not be a stable country, or the America we know today. I'll gladly pay a little more for things, or have some economic hardship, than see this country become, little by little, more like Mexico or Central America.
I'm from the southwest originally, and don't like what it is becoming. Nor do most of folks out there. And that's the reason this bill came about, and hopefully it will put a damper on the invasion.
THANK YOU mrkool. It appears we will have to fight for our counrty right here in America.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM

33 posts, read 110,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Put the lazy people to work...cut welfare !! Only those that truly cannot work should get assistance.

I'm all for getting rid of the illegals...but make sure you have plan to fill in the Gaps!! If not then there will be a hefty price to pay...everyone ready to be price gouged in areas other then gas prices?
You are on the money. Too many welfare people sitting around collecting checks make the healthy ones pick up trash, mow the golf courses, etc or they will be cut off. But I want to include all other illegals from Asia and Europe that live in Arizona, get them out of here too.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
Why does it always come down to money? Does not anybody understand right and wrong? We have laws in America that are being ignored already. Why would any state need someone who is here that does not belong here? If their leaving causes a problem, then so be it. Anyone who gets the USA for a home should go through the established channels. Otherwise, they don't belong here. What is the use of having laws if they are not used.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
You are on the money. Too many welfare people sitting around collecting checks make the healthy ones pick up trash, mow the golf courses, etc or they will be cut off. But I want to include all other illegals from Asia and Europe that live in Arizona, get them out of here too.
No argument from me either.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 AM

902 posts, read 505,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
I thought we were talking about ALL illegals and not just the Mexicans, who far outnumber any other illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or