U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Live in Surprise. For less then a year.

Just Moved from So Cal (10 years).

Was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM.

However, for the last 6 years or so I have spent about 1-2 months per year in the area. Visiting family, coming to ball games, etc.
Thanks - my point is, unless you are aware of the history of the entire state, and the way AZ government works (I was in the legislature), you might not understand the committment to healthcare (AHCCCS) and education that this state makes -

AND, the State of AZ did spend, over $1 Billion last year to pay for services for Illegal Immigration.

There are estimated to be less that 1/2 million Illegal immigrants in the State - a large number to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,392,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Do you believe the January 1st Illegal Immigration law causing all employers to verify legal workers in Arizona will hurt or benefit the state of Arizona? Do you believe illegal immigrants will leave and the businesses will stop or continue to hire them? Oklahoma's economy is hurting from losing 75,000 illegals. I could only manage what will happen if Arizona loses 500,000 illegals.
Az should be so lucky and it would make my return that more pleasant.

Does that mean Oklahoma is hiring? I guess I could get a basement home.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,343,093 times
I work in Education. And no state out of 50 adequately funds their schools...

Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I work in Education. And no state out of 50 adequately funds their schools...
Well - that is a subject for another thread

Suffice to say however, that overcrowding, in a number of schools, has been caused, in some measure, by illegal immigration

Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM

635 posts, read 1,559,968 times
Quote:
That is why I brought up Detroit. That city is a mess...many of the residents left.
Well the whites left the suburbs of Detroit for the suburbs. They were still working for the state of Michigan. If Illegals leave Arizona, that could mean hundreds of thousands of jobs could be depleted. This could have serious economic implications.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
If Illegals leave Arizona, that could mean hundreds of thousands of jobs could be depleted. This could have serious economic implications.
Let me set you straight - Any, repeat ANY jobs that were filled by illegal immigrants, can and will be filled, IMMEDIATELY by those here LEGALLY.

It is of very little concern

I hope this clears up any misperceptions you had

Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
10,000 people a day are moving to Phoenix? I'm talking about 500,000 people leaving from a single city (Phoenix).

Of course!! All the illegals leaving the USA is a benefit in the large picture...but for a single city to lose that many folks is not a good thing. It is a catch 22. That is why I brought up Detroit. That city is a mess...many of the residents left.
Try 500K people from across the state of Arizona....maybe 300K illegal immigrants, tops, here in the Phx area.

Another 'Zonie' who is looking forward to Americans and green card holders taking our country back from the trespassers and their Bleeding Heart/Neo-Con enablers.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,343,093 times
Quote:
Another 'Zonie' who is looking forward to Americans and green card holders taking our country back from the trespassers and their Bleeding Heart/Neo-Con enablers.
That is where you are wrong. It is the super rich and policy makers that have allowed it to happen. Big business interests rules over the common man any day of the week.

That is the irony of it all. The issue has been flipped on the Tree Huggers...when it was really never their doing. Blame big business...they want cheap labor to make cheap products that in turn provide big profits. From illegal immigrants to outsourcing...it is all about the bottom line.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,392,437 times
Quote:
That is where you are wrong. It is the super rich and policy makers that have allowed it to happen. Big business interests rules over the common man any day of the week.

That is the irony of it all. The issue has been flipped on the Tree Huggers...when it was really never their doing. Blame big business...they want cheap labor to make cheap products that in turn provide big profits. From illegal immigrants to outsourcing...it is all about the bottom line.

Tree huggers would open the doors wide also. It's the fault of both.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM

6,069 posts, read 12,674,573 times
Whether the law remains or not, many companies have already come into compliance. They will most likely stay in compliance to avoid having to go through the ordeal again. Our HOA has a landscape/maintenance staff of about 25 and many of them turned out to be illegal.

We had to replace all of the illegals and hire new employees using the guidelines for verifying immigration status. Our management staff does that so I don't know the procedure, but we are in compliance with the new law at this time.

During the firing/hiring process we experienced some vandalism of our landscape equipment, but we have that all under control now and the new employees are being trained. Soon we'll be up to speed again.

Others will or have gone through the same process and as long as they work at it diligently they should be ok. If they had been paying lower wages then they may see an increase in labor expense. We had been paying good wages so our increase was minor, mostly due to training and new uniforms.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or