Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

There has never been a case brought before the SC so that they would clarify once and for all who is eligible for birthright citizenship and who isn't. I am not a constitutional scholar but it appears pretty clear to me that the wording on birthright citizenship does not include babies born from illegal alien parents. We have had this discussion in here many times and a former member in here seemed well versed on its meaning. At any rate birthright citizenship can be re-clarified so that at least one parent be a citizen of this country and it should be as otherwise it makes a mockery of our citizenship, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There has never been a case brought before the SC so that they would clarify once and for all who is eligible for birthright citizenship and who isn't. I am not a constitutional scholar but it appears pretty clear to me that the wording on birthright citizenship does not include babies born from illegal alien parents. We have had this discussion in here many times and a former member in here seemed well versed on its meaning. At any rate birthright citizenship can be re-clarified so that at least one parent be a citizen of this country and it should be as otherwise it makes a mockery of our citizenship, IMO.
Unless the Supreme Court does weigh in on the current interpretation of the 14th Amendment, it's rather unassailable. We can all say what we think it should mean, or the way we want it to read, but that is the way it is. It really isn't that hard to understand.

By my birth in the United States, I am a citizen here. That does not derive from my parents, whom gained their U.S. citizenship the same way I did, by being born here. If anyone fails to understand that, they need to re-read the 14th Amendment and the pertinent sections of USC that put it into law.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 AM

When one reads the 14th amendment as it was written one can plainly see that birthright citizenship was not meant for babies of illegal alien parents to gain birthright citizenship. They are assumed to be because in our PC world no one wants to seriously challenge it. But repeating once again, it can be clarified and changed. Why would any American without an ulterior motive/agenda not want it to be? I won't get involved in another lengthy discussion on this. It's been beat to death in here already.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When one reads the 14th amendment as it was written one can plainly see that birthright citizenship was not meant for babies of illegal alien parents to gain birthright citizenship. They are assumed to be because in our PC world no one wants to seriously challenge it. But repeating once again, it can be clarified and changed. Why would any American without an ulterior motive/agenda not want it to be? I won't get involved in another lengthy discussion on this. It's been beat to death in here already.
When one reads the 2nd Amendment as it was written one can plainly see that automatic weapons aren't accounted for, and yet there is some magic happening that incorporates them in...

Again, I as a U.S. citizen gained that through my birth on U.S. soil, I am not descended from slaves but the 14th Amendment codifies that circumstance of my birth. It also says that I (and other U.S. citizens, like "Anchor Babies") have Due Process rights, and that I (and other U.S. citizens) have Equal Protection compared to other U.S. citizens. Note that for the Supreme Court to make a decision, it has to be a real world case that is escalated to their level (they cannot change policy, except by a determining case).

Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
When one reads the 2nd Amendment as it was written one can plainly see that automatic weapons aren't accounted for, and yet there is some magic happening that incorporates them in...

Again, I as a U.S. citizen gained that through my birth on U.S. soil, I am not descended from slaves but the 14th Amendment codifies that circumstance of my birth. It also says that I (and other U.S. citizens, like "Anchor Babies") have Due Process rights, and that I (and other U.S. citizens) have Equal Protection compared to other U.S. citizens. Note that for the Supreme Court to make a decision, it has to be a real world case that is escalated to their level (they cannot change policy, except by a determining case).
What automatic weapons are you actually referring to that americans own?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
What automatic weapons are you actually referring to that americans own?
I specifically used automatic weapons as an example (but note that I did not refer to any particular ownership boundaries), because they are most-likely to clash with other regulation that is in effect in some states and cities, but the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that 2nd Amendment protections also apply to state and local governments as well (think of how I might develop the argument in regards to the 14th Amendment with that)...

If you have a hard time resolving automatic weapons to the living document of the U.S. Constitution, also consider that semi-automatic weapons are also not accounted for there...

Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:

As, I pointed out earlier hasn't this subject been beaten to death in here already numerous times yet you persist. I am not replying to any more remarks about birthright citizenship. I have made my position clear once and for all.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Do you actually know the legal status of fully automatic weapons in the US as it stands today, or are you just making a bad analogy?

Do you think I can just stroll down to a sporting goods store and buy a machine gun?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Do you actually know the legal status of fully automatic weapons in the US as it stands today, or are you just making a bad analogy?

Do you think I can just stroll down to a sporting goods store and buy a machine gun?
With any firearm (in a purchase from a "Sporting Goods store") there is a waiting period anyway. Bad analogy on your part, if it wasn't possible to sell a "machine gun" to someone in the public, a "Sporting Goods store" would not be able to have them in stock. Can U.S. citizens own an automatic weapon in United States? Absolutely, depending on where they live, that they have the background and have paid certain fees, and that the manufacturing date of the weapon qualifies.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
With any firearm (in a purchase from a "Sporting Goods store") there is a waiting period anyway. Bad analogy on your part, if it wasn't possible to sell a "machine gun" to someone in the public, a "Sporting Goods store" would not be able to have them in stock. Can U.S. citizens own an automatic weapon in United States? Absolutely, depending on where they live, that they have the background and have paid certain fees, and that the manufacturing date of the weapon qualifies.
Uh...no waiting period in this state, pal.

My point is...maybe you should restrict your analogies to subject matter that you know more about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration