U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was he an illegal?
Yeah, no american id? C'mon! 7 58.33%
No, he may have a real good reason for no american id? (tell me then) 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times

Advertisements

Okay, today i cashed check for a hispanic dude. He needed two id's. Guess what he gave me? A Guetemalan passport and a Guetemalan ID. Reguarly when i ask most hispanics to show me id, they show me their real Drivers license or real State ID (not the ones you can buy in a store in the ghetto.) Do you think this guy was an illegal? Personally, i think yes. Why would you pull foreign id's instead of american id's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 05:06 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, today i cashed check for a hispanic dude. He needed two id's. Guess what he gave me? A Guetemalan passport and a Guetemalan ID. Reguarly when i ask most hispanics to show me id, they show me their real Drivers license or real State ID (not the ones you can buy in a store in the ghetto.) Do you think this guy was an illegal? Personally, i think yes. Why would you pull foreign id's instead of american id's?
Possibly. Probably. Can't be 100% sure based on that info though.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
I'll put my money on ILLEGAL, Alanboy!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:59 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Just visiting?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,352,332 times
Ahhh He had a passport that he showed you, He was more than likely a tourist... Most illegals have fake ID or none at all, they usually just deal in cash.....

Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 PM

376 posts, read 611,975 times
As long as you know the cash or checks they are using are good, then in my books it's fine to do business with them. As far as I know, there is no statute that states you can or cant accept cash or checks from an individual, regardless of there immigration or any other status.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
If he didn't present a green card as identification, he doesn't have one.

He could have had a valid visa to visit the United States; if he did, it would have been pasted to one of the pages in his passport. You should have flipped through it and looked if you were really curious. Guatemalans require a tourist visa from the United States to even visit this country; there are only 27 countries plus Canada whose nationals do not require a visa to visit this country and Guatemala isn't one of them. He could have had an H1-A or H2-class visa, or even an F1; a lot of those visa holders don't get driver's licenses because they're only here temporarily.

Odds are good that he was illegal, but there's no way to say for sure.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Was the check from an employer?

He could also be here on a working visa...

Types of US work visas.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Was the check from an employer?

He could also be here on a working visa...

Types of US work visas.
I was also wondering why a Guatemalan (or any other non American/green card holder) would show two pieces of ID from his native land if he was here illegally.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:37 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,120 times
Based on that information, it is impossible to say that he was either illegal or just visiting. Or anything about his status for that matter.
If you asked him to give him two ID's, then of course he showed you two ID's. And if he was just visiting, he gave you the second ID because you asked for it. The passport is rather given if you're visiting and need to ID yourself.
I cashed in checks while visiting the US, and I know for sure I wasn't illegal eventhough I used my passport to ID myself.

But, to me, since he showed two ID's and none were American, I would say that he was probably there legally. If he had been there illegaly, he would probably, since that is the common logic around here, have shown you a "stolen" or bought American ID. Or just the passport. We can't have it both ways, that possessing American ID means that your illegal and that possessing foreign IDs also make you an illegal.

My vote is on "we cannot possibly tell", but probably legally visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or