U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
For real!

The embargo is only in place because of the loud and active Cuban ex pat lobby in Miami. Period.

"Oh, bad bad communist Cuba!"

"Hey China, sell us more toys!"

Does THAT make any sense?! Plus, we need to end the awful wet foot/dry foot unfairness ASAP!
You got that right. Personally I'm sick of a bunch of "Cubans" in Florida making our foreign policy for us. It's not as if they'd all go back to Cuba if Castro died tomorrow, but that's sort of how the US government pretends to see them: temporary economic refugees. It's a crock. They're here to stay, they're not going anywhere.

And you're right, the whole wet foot/dry foot policy is garbage. It needs to go now; I don't know why we have this special rule for Cubans only, but it's an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Think I'll try that. Sounds like a plan.

But, oh, no, I'm sure they'll find out I'm a citizen - then, poor me, what will I do? Why - I'll have to PAY for my healthcare! Only us sucker citizens have to actually PAY for it.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM

376 posts, read 612,052 times
I still find it strange and ironic that people would pass each other flying in opposite directions seeking medical treatment. Some would fly in one direction seeking the free treatment, while others would fly in an opposite direction seeking the cheaper treatment.

As something gone wrong or is it I that is missing something?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
I still find it strange and ironic that people would pass each other flying in opposite directions seeking medical treatment. Some would fly in one direction seeking the free treatment, while others would fly in an opposite direction seeking the cheaper treatment.

As something gone wrong or is it I that is missing something?
Americans are gong to Mexico for plastic surgery

Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
No Never have Never would!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You got that right. Personally I'm sick of a bunch of "Cubans" in Florida making our foreign policy for us. It's not as if they'd all go back to Cuba if Castro died tomorrow, but that's sort of how the US government pretends to see them: temporary economic refugees. It's a crock. They're here to stay, they're not going anywhere.

And you're right, the whole wet foot/dry foot policy is garbage. It needs to go now; I don't know why we have this special rule for Cubans only, but it's an embarrassment.
Actually during my poly sci class I did some reading on this very thing, Cubans unlike most other immigrants of hispanic origins are MORE likely to return to Cuba if and when Castro is no longer in charge, assuming someone as bad as he is, is not put in his place.

As far as going to Cuba why on earth would you want to? It wasn't that long ago I read about an English woman who went there for vacation and was put in prison over little or nothing, it was a HUGE diplomatic circle jerk.

I do know people who have been to Cuba but they went to Mexico and entered from there. These are people were christian and went there to minister to people of the same religion and had to do so under cover so to speak.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Actually during my poly sci class I did some reading on this very thing, Cubans unlike most other immigrants of hispanic origins are MORE likely to return to Cuba if and when Castro is no longer in charge, assuming someone as bad as he is, is not put in his place.

As far as going to Cuba why on earth would you want to? It wasn't that long ago I read about an English woman who went there for vacation and was put in prison over little or nothing, it was a HUGE diplomatic circle jerk.

I do know people who have been to Cuba but they went to Mexico and entered from there. These are people were christian and went there to minister to people of the same religion and had to do so under cover so to speak.
Christian illegals? You did turn them in, didn't you.....

Last edited by User 2; 12-11-2007 at 02:42 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Christian illegals? You did turn them in, didn't you.....
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote clearly enough. The people I know who went to Cuba were American citizens who went there as missionaries, they then came back to the US, having gone via Mexico.

I don't know what you mean by Christian illegals. The people I speak of are people I respect deeply, they are loving and kind people who extend a helping hand where they can. I do not share their religious conviction but they have always accepted my daughter and I like we were family in a very unjudgemental and loving way. When I moved from Texas, I missed these people more then I did my own family because they had shown me more love and concern then my family did.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 AM

902 posts, read 505,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post

You completely hit the nail on the head. Thank you for stating the obvious.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Maybe you didn't read what I wrote clearly enough.
But I thought I read you only too clearly, you inferred that these people skirted the law, entered Cuba without permission and then returned to this country.

If they went to a country that they are supposedly denied to do so without permission, and they subsequently entered that country without that permission, then aren't they acting outside the law? Didn't they act in defiance of the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or