U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:23 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Why just "illegal aliens"? Why not quarrantine all persons coming into the USA until we're certain they're 100% healthy? Maybe we should start with Canadians ...

Read more: Scabies outbreak spreads at Halifax hospital as 37 nurses are diagnosed | CTV Atlantic News
Yes everyone should be screen but we are discussing illegal immigration in a illegal immigration forum.

Its funny you desire Canadians to be first. Any particular reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Way back when .... when my father came to the USA from Ireland in the 1930s, he and others on the boats were given a 'once over' by someone from immigration and if there was any suspicion the immigrant, with a visa, had a communicable disease or even something less ... many were turned away and sent back to where they came from (from what I understand).

I know many people living abroad who visit the USA on a visa whose health is not scrutinized upon entry. Maybe such an examination or letter from physician was required as part of the visa application process, but not for successive visits. I travel internationally several times yearly and when I've watched the goings-on in the re-entry/entry process at Immigration I don't think I've ever noticed foreign visitors taken aside for a medical evaluation. I have 8 or 9 Canadian relatives and they're never screened for health issues when they visit.
Canada is not 3rd world.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM

741 posts, read 615,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As part of the VISA application process they must have a health screening. My step daughter comes every year. Every time the health screening is required.
As for Canada. We have a long history of an almost open border. Canadians generally go home, speak our language and have a comparable standard of living.
To the best of my knowledge, and I've just checked the various U.S. Government webpages for visa applicants, there is no medical examination requirement for persons seeking a nonimmigrant visa for tourism and short-term visits. The examinations are required, however, for persons seeking an immigrant visa and for green card holders changing to a permanent status. Maybe your daughter is coming from a country where there are particularly strong concerns about health conditions and different requirements, which vary from the norm, are applied. As for Canadians: I wouldn't venture to say they're healthier than persons from other countries. What's good for the "goose" is good for the "gander," to my way of thinking. Let's not single-out people based on national origin or immigration status or skin color. Let's screen all 70 million of the visitors (which, as I said earlier, is not practical).

Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Add pregnancy tests because "birth tourism" is a huge problem. It's not only a way to beat the immigration laws, it's a guaranteed way to get into the welfare offices and mooch off the taxpayers the rest of their lives.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Add pregnancy tests because "birth tourism" is a huge problem. It's not only a way to beat the immigration laws, it's a guaranteed way to get into the welfare offices and mooch off the taxpayers the rest of their lives.
I'm fine with that. I suspect that most of the birth tourism mothers arrive in the USA legally and overstay or deliver their child while visiting ... and ... therefore ... enter, with their child, into a new and different and improved immigration category. As for children born to a mother or both parents who were in the USA illegally, by whatever means: I do not think they should be afforded automatic citizenship. The parents are in the country illegally, and so was the fetus/child. Period.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
I'm fine with that. I suspect that most of the birth tourism mothers arrive in the USA legally and overstay or deliver their child while visiting ... and ... therefore ... enter, with their child, into a new and different and improved immigration category. As for children born to a mother or both parents who were in the USA illegally, by whatever means: I do not think they should be afforded automatic citizenship. The parents are in the country illegally, and so was the fetus/child. Period.
For once we agree

Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is why we need to screen people that come into this country for potential diseases and infections. When you have illegal immigration there is no telling what we are importing into this country.
This is nothing new. I work in a hospital and there are a large number of immigrants from the Third World, illegal or otherwise that have tuberculosis. Almost all of the African immigrants admitted are HIV+.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
For once we agree

Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
The problem is "visa overstays" also include those who buy the very cheap border crossing cards or laser visas that allow them to come over to shop or visit but too often they use them to enter legally but never go home.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:40 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
We have lived in several states and different cities but none highly populated with illegals until now. My son was attending a day center for people with DD and I got a note about "lice" and how I needed to check him for lice. Lice! I called the nurse and told her that I didn't know anything about lice and she said "Surely when he was in school this happened as my girls are bringing home notes all the time." Ah, no, he never attended school here. Also noticed a lot of bedbug products which I haven't seen where we had lived previously. Gives you a creepy feeling. There was a "mystery" illness at Animal Control that was killing dogs and it took a long time to identify and I think they said it was just Parvo and I'm thinking I bet not since that wouldn't have taken months to diagnose this with so many deaths. House goes on the market next month. I can discuss at length the effects on a town of an illegal population and it isn't pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration