U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Those from Visa Waiver Program countries have much more higher entrance rates than illegal aliens - True health concerns involve everyone - not just by immigration status. You're being pedantic, the origins of disease vectors aren't only "foreign", much less from a particular class of people.
That needs to be addressed and fixed also but so does illegal immigration to prevent communicable deseases from being brought into our country but the latter seems to be of no concern to you especially if they are from south of our border which the majority of illegal aliens are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:54 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,327,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That needs to be addressed and fixed also but so does illegal immigration to prevent communicable deseases from being brought into our country but the latter seems to be of no concern to you especially if they are from south of our border which the majority of illegal aliens are from.

Your right, this pesky problem of ours, does need to be addressed. But we know most likely will be swept under the rug, like everything else!

How many communicable deseases have been brought into our Country, by illegals. This should be of a concern to all of us.

Try this stuff in Mexico, and see what happens to you.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM

741 posts, read 617,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
How many communicable deseases have been brought into our Country, by illegals. This should be of a concern to all of us.
What "communicable diseases" are you referring to, that are being brought into the USA by illegals? And what about the communicable diseases which may be transmitted by the 70 million people who visit the USA, legally, each year? Not concerned about them?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
What "communicable diseases" are you referring to, that are being brought into the USA by illegals? And what about the communicable diseases which may be transmitted by the 70 million people who visit the USA, legally, each year? Not concerned about them?
There has been a re-occurance of TB. A desease called Chagas which is prevelant in Mexico. As I asked, what are the odds that those coming here illegally from squalid conditions are carriers of communicable desease since they bypass health checks by doing so? Instead you want to rant about visitors?

Well, in anther one of my posts I advocated for any foreigner entering our country to be screened for serious health issues. Did you miss that post? But a couple of you in here don't want to discuss the possibilities with illegal immigration especially since most are from south of our border and live in the squalid conditions that I mentioned. Why is that?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 PM

741 posts, read 617,194 times
Quote:
Well, in anther one of my posts I advocated for any foreigner entering our country to be screened for serious health issues. Did you miss that post? But a couple of you in here don't want to discuss the possibilities with illegal immigration especially since most are from south of our border and live in the squalid conditions that I mentioned. Why is that?
I've more than fully responded to those comments. And I've pointed-out that health-screening 70 million people a year is not practical. In an ideal world, that would be a good thing to do. And it would result in our own citizens having to comply with recipricol regulations from countries we visit. Lots of time and expense. But we don't live in an ideal world. I think you've lost perspective, on what's realistic, and what's fantasy. First, we deal with the hear and now. And we continue to explore the "what if's?" What you propose, suggest ... is "big government." Very big goverment intrusion/regulation likely not beneficial overall when we weigh the cost of doing that.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
I've more than fully responded to those comments. And I've pointed-out that health-screening 70 million people a year is not practical. In an ideal world, that would be a good thing to do. And it would result in our own citizens having to comply with recipricol regulations from countries we visit. Lots of time and expense. But we don't live in an ideal world. I think you've lost perspective, on what's realistic, and what's fantasy. First, we deal with the hear and now. And we continue to explore the "what if's?" What you propose, suggest ... is "big government." Very big goverment intrusion/regulation likely not beneficial overall when we weigh the cost of doing that.
I was just pointing out that contrary to what the defenders of illegal aliens in here claim I am an equal opportunity advocate of health screening for "any" foreigners entering our country. If it's not practical then so be it but we certainly should be deterring illegal immigration where there is more of a chance of a communicable desease being spread in our country especially considering the unsanitary conditions that many live in.

I don't call what I advocate above as being for big government. It's in the national interest.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
I was just pointing out that contrary to what the defenders of illegal aliens in here claim I am an equal opportunity advocate of health screening for "any" foreigners entering our country. If it's not practical then so be it but we certainly should be deterring illegal immigration where there is more of a chance of a communicable desease being spread in our country especially considering the unsanitary conditions that many live in.

I don't call what I advocate above as being for big government. It's in the national interest.
Applying for a VISA often includes a medical certificate provided by a Doctor in the nation of origin. Legal immigrants can get get their screenings done at their own expense and do. There are different requirements depending upon nation of origin. I have no issue with this. People coming from a nation such as France are far less likely to have a communicable disease than say someone coming from Sudan or Haiti. Is it perfect? No.
Illegals pass through with no screening and remain an issue. Given the conditions that many face in their trek into this country, it is certainly reasonable to assume that they have picked something up along the way.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:42 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times
Quote:
There has been a re-occurance of TB. A desease called Chagas which is prevelant in Mexico. As I asked, what are the odds that those coming here illegally from squalid conditions are carriers of communicable desease since they bypass health checks by doing so? Instead you want to rant about visitors?

Yes, I had to get a TB test in order to sub in some schools.
And not too many doctors give them anymore.
I had to go to the county health clinic to get it done.

There have been outbreaks of TB among young people in Texas and money has been allocated to test high risk groups.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:

Again, why just foreigners? I've lived outside the United States more than a few times, up to a year, in some very squalid conditions sometimes. I know people that live in Mexico, but come to the United States almost daily. At what point are these medical checks to be done? When my family got their K-class visas, they initially only visited for a weekend, but we didn't move them in until more than two months later.

Again, saying only illegal aliens put us at a higher risk of communicable diseases, and talk of only foreigners needing to be medically screened, is your known boogieman ("Cucuy"). I'm not saying you are impractical, I'm saying you're inconsistent. Disease vectors can come from anywhere (potential risk from the "poor" is actually less, because they aren't able to quickly fly on a jet to arrive in the United States from halfway around the world).

Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Again, why just foreigners? I've lived outside the United States more than a few times, up to a year, in some very squalid conditions sometimes. I know people that live in Mexico, but come to the United States almost daily. At what point are these medical checks to be done? When my family got their K-class visas, they initially only visited for a weekend, but we didn't move them in until more than two months later.

Again, saying only illegal aliens put us at a higher risk of communicable diseases, and talk of only foreigners needing to be medically screened, is your known boogieman ("Cucuy"). I'm not saying you are impractical, I'm saying you're inconsistent. Disease vectors can come from anywhere (potential risk from the "poor" is actually less, because they aren't able to quickly fly on a jet to arrive in the United States from halfway around the world).
Then screen Americans who have lived abroad then. I don't have an issue with it. If they have already been inoculated as most Americans are I really don't see the need. Of course, they may not be immune to deseases like Chagas though. I stand by what I said. Illegal aliens do put us at a higher risk and for the reasons I stated. How do we even know if they have been inoculated or not? I don't know what a "Cucuy"" is. I do know what a boogieman is however and it is not warranted in this discussion. These are real concerns that shouldn't be diminished with sarcasm. Please provide a link backing up your assertions that the poor are less inclined to be desease carriers. If these poor live in insanitary conditions they certainly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration