U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 PM
 
741 posts, read 615,314 times
Reputation: 575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't call what I advocate above as being for big government. It's in the national interest.
Well, I think it's easy for someone reading your remarks to get the impression you're a police-state and big government advocate. I can't speak for others, but all I can do is react to what you write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then screen Americans who have lived abroad then. I don't have an issue with it. If they have already been inoculated as most Americans are I really don't see the need. Of course, they may not be immune to deseases like Chagas though. I stand by what I said. Illegal aliens do put us at a higher risk and for the reasons I stated. How do we even know if they have been inoculated or not? I don't know what a "Cucuy"" is. I do know what a boogieman is however and it is not warranted in this discussion. These are real concerns that shouldn't be diminished with sarcasm. Please provide a link backing up your assertions that the poor are less inclined to be desease carriers. If these poor live in insanitary conditions they certainly are.
I didn't say the foreign poor are less inclined to carry disease, I said they were less of a potential risk to us because they are not able to quickly jet from a foreign country to the United States. If you want a link to understand the poor can't afford airfare, I really can't help you. For someone that accuses others of reading comprehension problems, you seem to understand zero of what I have said.

I also asked you a question you didn't answer: When do these "health screenings" of foreign visitors occur? At the time they cross the border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Well, I think it's easy for someone reading your remarks to get the impression you're a police-state and big government advocate. I can't speak for others, but all I can do is react to what you write.
I see, so wanting to protect Americans from deseases is advocating for a police state? Wanting to protect jobs for Americans is advocating for a police state? Wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced is advocating for a police state? Really? Who'd have thunk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 06:40 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I didn't say the foreign poor are less inclined to carry disease, I said they were less of a potential risk to us because they are not able to quickly jet from a foreign country to the United States. If you want a link to understand the poor can't afford airfare, I really can't help you. For someone that accuses others of reading comprehension problems, you seem to understand zero of what I have said.

I also asked you a question you didn't answer: When do these "health screenings" of foreign visitors occur? At the time they cross the border?
Why talk about the poor not being able to afford airfare? It has nothing to do with the fact that there are millions of poor flooding our borders illegally by the millions who avoid health checks by doing so. That's what the topic is about not those staying in their own country who can't afford airfare.

Foreigners should be screened in their own countries and present their health certificates before entering our country. It's really not that hard to comprehend but then maybe it is for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why talk about the poor not being able to afford airfare? It has nothing to do with the fact that there are millions of poor flooding our borders illegally by the millions who avoid health checks by doing so. That's what the topic is about not those staying in their own country who can't afford airfare.

Foreigners should be screened in their own countries and present their health certificates before entering our country. It's really not that hard to comprehend but then maybe it is for some.
When? Of course it would be before they enter the United States. How does the United States implement a process to screen and check for a "health certificate" on all foreigners whom enter our borders? You're always short on the details of planning, who will cover the costs to alleviate your fears of el cucuy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why talk about the poor not being able to afford airfare? It has nothing to do with the fact that there are millions of poor flooding our borders illegally by the millions who avoid health checks by doing so. That's what the topic is about not those staying in their own country who can't afford airfare.

Foreigners should be screened in their own countries and present their health certificates before entering our country. It's really not that hard to comprehend but then maybe it is for some.
True. Just like we're expected to get vaccinated before going abroad, we should expect the same for foreigners traveling to our country. They can have their health screening done before they make their travel plans.

And that is FAR from being a police state because it wouldn't apply to Americans living here. It would be for the foreigners who want to come is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
When? Of course it would be before they enter the United States. How does the United States implement a process to screen and check for a "health certificate" on all foreigners whom enter our borders? You're always short on the details of planning, who will cover the costs to alleviate your fears of el cucuy?
Same way Americans are required to have health screens and vaccinations done before enrolling in schools for example -- paper proof, signed forms from legitimate sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
When? Of course it would be before they enter the United States. How does the United States implement a process to screen and check for a "health certificate" on all foreigners whom enter our borders? You're always short on the details of planning, who will cover the costs to alleviate your fears of el cucuy?
It's not up to me to do it. It is up to our government to plan it an implement it. I don't speak Spanish so why do you continue to post things in what is apparently Spanish to me?
Spanish isn't even your first language so just what is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 AM
 
741 posts, read 615,314 times
Reputation: 575
And let's consider this, also: There are about 300-350 million legal border crossings from Canada and Mexico each year - in addition to the approx. 70 million other foreign tourists probably mostly arriving by air/sea. The "government" (as in really "big government" actions) would have to check them all to make certain they're insect/disease free. Check their paperwork to make certain it's up to date. Let's declare martial law at all ports of entry ... land, sea and air. Maybe deploy 100,000 soldiers to carry-out the tasks. That'll do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
And let's consider this, also: There are about 300-350 million legal border crossings from Canada and Mexico each year - in addition to the approx. 70 million other foreign tourists probably mostly arriving by air/sea. The "government" (as in really "big government" actions) would have to check them all to make certain they're insect/disease free. Check their paperwork to make certain it's up to date. Let's declare martial law at all ports of entry ... land, sea and air. Maybe deploy 100,000 soldiers to carry-out the tasks. That'll do it.
No, let them get health checks in their own countries before entering ours. We can't do that to protect our own citizens but we can send billions abroad to other countries and spend billions on useless wars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top