Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,640,393 times

Advertisements

This is why we need to screen people that come into this country for potential diseases and infections. When you have illegal immigration there is no telling what we are importing into this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM

741 posts, read 761,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is why we need to screen people that come into this country for potential diseases and infections. When you have illegal immigration there is no telling what we are importing into this country.
Why just "illegal aliens"? Why not quarrantine all persons coming into the USA until we're certain they're 100% healthy? Maybe we should start with Canadians ...

Quote:
On Monday, the Capital District Health Authority said 30 nurses at the Halifax
Infirmary were affected by the scabies outbreak. On Tuesday, Capital Health said
the number of staff members whohave either complained of rashes or requested
treatment for scabies had grown to 37.
Read more: Scabies outbreak spreads at Halifax hospital as 37 nurses are diagnosed | CTV Atlantic News

Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,859,271 times
Default Purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most of the Open Borders Advocates believe just because we border Mexico and Canada it should be open. This the perfect augment why our laws are in place. México's Immigrations Laws are far more Harsh for the record

Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 AM

62,536 posts, read 28,756,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Why just "illegal aliens"? Why not quarrantine all persons coming into the USA until we're certain they're 100% healthy? Maybe we should start with Canadians ...

Read more: Scabies outbreak spreads at Halifax hospital as 37 nurses are diagnosed | CTV Atlantic News
Everyone should be screened for health issues. Interesting that you think we should start with the Canadians though.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Everyone should be screened for health issues. Interesting that you think we should start with the Canadians though.
Well ... on one hand we have unconfirmed reports from a spot along the USA/Mexico border ... and on the other hand we have confirmed reports of an outbreak in Canada. It's not really that difficult to understand the difference between the two, is it?

The USA received approx. 70 million "foreign" visitors in 2013, according to published reports. Screening "everyone" isn't practical.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Most of the Open Borders Advocates believe just because we border Mexico and Canada it should be open.
"Open Border Advocates" aren't just found in Mexico or the USA. They're found around the world. I don't see "open border" comments from legislators or anyone in power in this country, however. Advocating open borders is no different than supporting anarchy, in my view.

Quote:
México's Immigrations Laws are far more Harsh for the record
Yes, from what I understand ... Mexico's restrictions are rather harsh on expats seeking to live legally, and when an expat is apprehended for living there illegally ... they either pay a bribe to keep doing so, or they're deported. Deportations are rather rare, I think.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,155,989 times
Quote:
Well ... on one hand we have unconfirmed reports from a spot along the USA/Mexico border ... and on the other hand we have confirmed reports of an outbreak in Canada. It's not really that difficult to understand the difference between the two, is it?

The USA received approx. 70 million "foreign" visitors in 2013, according to published reports. Screening "everyone" isn't practical.
And yet those who enter with a VISA are required to under go a physical as part of the process. At least my wife had to, and every time her daughter visits she must pass the health screening.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
"Open Border Advocates" aren't just found in Mexico or the USA. They're found around the world. I don't see "open border" comments from legislators or anyone in power in this country, however. Advocating open borders is no different than supporting anarchy, in my view.

Yes, from what I understand ... Mexico's restrictions are rather harsh on expats seeking to live legally, and when an expat is apprehended for living there illegally ... they either pay a bribe to keep doing so, or they're deported. Deportations are rather rare, I think.
Expats in Thailand are fined for over stays or violations. The fines are per day of overstay. In other words compounded. It is reasonable. If you don't like the penalty then obey the laws. Yes Thailand also deports people.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And yet those who enter with a VISA are required to under go a physical as part of the process. At least my wife had to, and every time her daughter visits she must pass the health screening.
Way back when .... when my father came to the USA from Ireland in the 1930s, he and others on the boats were given a 'once over' by someone from immigration and if there was any suspicion the immigrant, with a visa, had a communicable disease or even something less ... many were turned away and sent back to where they came from (from what I understand).

I know many people living abroad who visit the USA on a visa whose health is not scrutinized upon entry. Maybe such an examination or letter from physician was required as part of the visa application process, but not for successive visits. I travel internationally several times yearly and when I've watched the goings-on in the re-entry/entry process at Immigration I don't think I've ever noticed foreign visitors taken aside for a medical evaluation. I have 8 or 9 Canadian relatives and they're never screened for health issues when they visit.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Way back when .... when my father came to the USA from Ireland in the 1930s, he and others on the boats were given a 'once over' by someone from immigration and if there was any suspicion the immigrant, with a visa, had a communicable disease or even something less ... many were turned away and sent back to where they came from (from what I understand).

I know many people living abroad who visit the USA on a visa whose health is not scrutinized upon entry. Maybe such an examination or letter from physician was required as part of the visa application process, but not for successive visits. I travel internationally several times yearly and when I've watched the goings-on in the re-entry/entry process at Immigration I don't think I've ever noticed foreign visitors taken aside for a medical evaluation. I have 8 or 9 Canadian relatives and they're never screened for health issues when they visit.
As part of the VISA application process they must have a health screening. My step daughter comes every year. Every time the health screening is required.
As for Canada. We have a long history of an almost open border. Canadians generally go home, speak our language and have a comparable standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration