U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
...Legal immigrants are expected to apply to come here while living in their own countries. Then they are expected to patiently await their turn to come here, with some waiting years in refugee camps.

This so-called "immigration reform" bill is nothing but amnesty for illegal aliens and a slap in the face to legal immigrants.

I've asked you this before, yet you don't answer. --- Do you think that legal immigrants are chumps for obeying our immigration laws and patiently awaiting their turn to come here with some waiting years in refugee camps?...
For every refugee and asylee combined, there are three immigrants as an "Immediate Relative" (parent, child, or spouse) to a U.S. citizen (without any quotas). The majority of legal immigrants arrive on a "non-immigrant" visa and are able to adjust their status later, and it has been that way for decades. An illegal alien doesn't gain the same status as a legal immigrant, and has to go through legal residency (that is, becoming a "legal immigrant") to be able to naturalize.

It is extremely disparate for a discussion to talk about refugees (often arriving with nothing, and having no U.S. citizen or business sponsorship) when members have pointedly wanted to raise sponsorship requirements (even alleging that taxpayers are taking care of that for my family, instead of myself), and having a fear that foreigners living in dismal conditions are the biggest threat to the health of the United States (in more ways than one). I'm only bringing up that irrational logic, and correcting your statements, but that often gets me called a supporter of illegal aliens.

Can you provide an example of the forms and process that an intending average immigrant does, so it can be looked over for what an illegal alien needs to do?...

Thanks.

 
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 PM
 
11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Reputation: 9867
Can you provide an example of the forms and process that an intending average immigrant does, so it can be looked over for what an illegal alien needs to do?...
-------------------
^Ummm...what?

Whatever it is that you want to know, I'm sure that you will be able to find it by googling.
 
Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 PM
 
11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Reputation: 9867
Longford---Yes, you do hold illegal aliens to a different standard. By insisting that the so-called nightmare of an "immigration reform" bill is NOT amnesty, when it fact it is, you are holding illegal aliens to a different standard. Why should they get amnesty solely because they managed to either sneak across a border or overstay a visa? Allowing them to follow different rules than legal immigrants, does, indeed, amount to amnesty.

If you support "the controlled immigration process", then you would be against this so-called "immigration reform" bill because it is nothing but amnesty.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Ummm...what?

Whatever it is that you want to know, I'm sure that you will be able to find it by googling.
I've already immigrated my family, but I am wondering what forms and process you think it is. It's apparently easy to gain information, even in refugee camps without computers or access to Google. You made the statement, but can't seem to support what it actually means:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
...Legal immigrants are expected to apply to come here while living in their own countries...
How do they "apply to come here"? You're prompting others to answer questions, why can't you answer the questions posed to you? This information is simple enough that you are expecting illegal aliens to know what to do.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 AM
 
11,492 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Reputation: 9867
You're welcome to do your own research.

You didn't know that legal immigrants start the application process to come here legally in their own countries? Some come on student visas and later adjust their status to guest worker or permanent resident. Others apply and wait in their own country for permission to come here as a permanent resident.

I'm really surprised that you don't know any of this plus you refuse to do some research.

There is no excuse for illegal aliens to come here uninvited---and you know it, too. Just as there is no excuse for you to enter another country illegally. Being ignorant of the process is no excuse.

That's all I'm going to say to you in this thread.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
For every refugee and asylee combined, there are three immigrants as an "Immediate Relative" (parent, child, or spouse) to a U.S. citizen (without any quotas). The majority of legal immigrants arrive on a "non-immigrant" visa and are able to adjust their status later, and it has been that way for decades. An illegal alien doesn't gain the same status as a legal immigrant, and has to go through legal residency (that is, becoming a "legal immigrant") to be able to naturalize.

It is extremely disparate for a discussion to talk about refugees (often arriving with nothing, and having no U.S. citizen or business sponsorship) when members have pointedly wanted to raise sponsorship requirements (even alleging that taxpayers are taking care of that for my family, instead of myself), and having a fear that foreigners living in dismal conditions are the biggest threat to the health of the United States (in more ways than one). I'm only bringing up that irrational logic, and correcting your statements, but that often gets me called a supporter of illegal aliens.

Can you provide an example of the forms and process that an intending average immigrant does, so it can be looked over for what an illegal alien needs to do?...

Thanks.
The 'topic" of this forum is about illegal aliens (those who never entered legally and those who overstayed their visas) not immigrants who came by having a citizen relative here, not a fear of foreigners here legally who assimilate and won't be a burden to our country, not legitimate refugees.

Illegal aliens don't fill out forms and follow the process of legal immigration and that is what they need to do to come here and if they aren't accepted then they need to accept that but that in no way justifies them coming here illegally instead and expecting to correct their status afterwards via an amnesty or some other form of absolution.

I think we do need to cut back on all forms of legal immigration right now and only allow those to come here that we need and will be a net benefit to our country while keeping in mind diversity and our population growth.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 AM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You're welcome to do your own research.

You didn't know that legal immigrants start the application process to come here legally in their own countries? Some come on student visas and later adjust their status to guest worker or permanent resident. Others apply and wait in their own country for permission to come here as a permanent resident.

I'm really surprised that you don't know any of this plus you refuse to do some research.

There is no excuse for illegal aliens to come here uninvited---and you know it, too. Just as there is no excuse for you to enter another country illegally. Being ignorant of the process is no excuse.

That's all I'm going to say to you in this thread.
Illegal aliens know there is a process to follow from their own countries and that it is against the law not to do so and just come here without following the process anyway. Why would someone even claim that illegal aliens are ignorant that there is a process?
 
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
LongFord claims he doesn't believe that legals are held to a different standard than illegals, then refuses to acknowledge that the Immigration Reform Bill absolutely gives illegals the head of line pass that Obama promised wouldn't happen. It absolutely gives illegals a free pass from the crimes they have committed. Crimes that would prevent a legal from gaining a VISA.
He claims that illegals with have to follow the same path as legals, yet ignores the fact legals have to wait to be granted a VISA, legals had to apply for the VISA in their nation of origin, legals have to pass a criminal background check, pass a health screening, and pay their fees up front.
Much like Obama and other illegal facilitators he likes to sugar coat what illegals really are. He likes to paint them as honest and noble people. Honest and noble people don't live as criminals. Don't commit document fraud, don't trespass upon others and don't try to justify it. Criminals always seem to think that their personal needs, wants and desires out weigh the needs of their victims. Illegals sure seem to behave a lot more like criminals than they do law abiding citizens....
 
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
 
3,849 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Reputation: 2442
Biden's a freaking idiot.

They are dancing in the sunlight not hiding in the shadows. You have them marching in the streets and protesting almost weekly in some places.

The only shade they might be in is at a Home Depot parking lot.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You're welcome to do your own research.

You didn't know that legal immigrants start the application process to come here legally in their own countries? Some come on student visas and later adjust their status to guest worker or permanent resident. Others apply and wait in their own country for permission to come here as a permanent resident.

I'm really surprised that you don't know any of this plus you refuse to do some research
...
I find that condescending to me, having gone through the legal immigration process for my family. At least you are now understanding that the majority (in a decades-long trend) of legal immigrants initially enter the United States on "non-immigrant" visas. Two-thirds of all legal immigrants have a relationship to a U.S. citizen. Obfuscating that data is also a trend here on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
...There is no excuse for illegal aliens to come here uninvited---and you know it, too. Just as there is no excuse for you to enter another country illegally. Being ignorant of the process is no excuse.

That's all I'm going to say to you in this thread.
Why are you unwilling (or unable) to describe a process that is seemingly simple enough that you expect illegal aliens to follow it, but can't quite put it into words (English usage) here? I've hit a theme in my time at City-Data, where a number of members seem to hint at a notion that the average person in some other country can just submit the right "paperwork", wait a few years, and be granted entry as a Legal Permanent Resident. Most of them also think that illegal aliens (and Mexicans that are an "Immediate Relative" to a U.S. citizen) can somehow "block" that potential legal immigrant to make them remain in their own country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The 'topic" of this forum is about illegal aliens (those who never entered legally and those who overstayed their visas) not immigrants who came by having a citizen relative here, not a fear of foreigners here legally who assimilate and won't be a burden to our country, not legitimate refugees.

Illegal aliens don't fill out forms and follow the process of legal immigration and that is what they need to do to come here and if they aren't accepted then they need to accept that but that in no way justifies them coming here illegally instead and expecting to correct their status afterwards via an amnesty or some other form of absolution...
I was asking "BOS2IAD" for her description of the process a would-be illegal alien could follow to gain legal entry. We've discussed the concept of an I-601 here before, where it tends to be argued that the person then didn't "immigrate legally". Of course they did, it is also part of immigration law that recognizes that status can be changed. The point I am trying to make is that there is NO absolute condition that every legal immigrant must pass, to be able to say that illegal aliens must also observe the same steps (some legal immigrants don't have a "waiting" period, some don't need to file "paperwork" themselves", some aren't required to have a sponsor, some improperly apply for a "non-immigrant" visa over and over until they have enough of a foothold here to adjust status, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...I think we do need to cut back on all forms of legal immigration right now and only allow those to come here that we need and will be a net benefit to our country while keeping in mind diversity and our population growth.
Again, that is entirely contrary to accepting refugees and those filing for asylum. It is not a rational response to say that illegal aliens aren't waiting ("sometimes for years") like refugees, but not objecting to those refugees being without sponsorship (an extreme likelihood to become government charges) and foreigners living in squalid conditions (there is nothing even close to a refugee camp for that attribute) with a high potential for diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens know there is a process to follow from their own countries and that it is against the law not to do so and just come here without following the process anyway. Why would someone even claim that illegal aliens are ignorant that there is a process?
The vast majority of Americans are unfamiliar with our own immigration laws and the data behind it, on which I have heavily commented about on this thread, and throughout the time I have been participating on this forum. Somehow that has got me labelled as a supporter of illegal aliens, an "ethnocentric", and had an extreme reaction of a VA worker announcing here that she had accessed my financial records from me receiving service-related treatment. All I'm doing is showing disparities in the arguments I see against illegal aliens, which seem to always bear out than just being about "illegals".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top