Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then if Joe is actually thinking this thru, that means the thousands of people we let in thru proper channels will stop until the 12 million has been absorbed into this country. I am sure those who seek legal entry will be more than upset.

May they will turn in their Illegal cousin because they were cheated with legal entry?
h it's more than fine with Joe and company to make those who obey our laws wait. It's the feelings of the criminals we need to care about.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:06 PM

741 posts, read 764,169 times
Biden was saying what a majority of Americans are saying. There's nothing new in his remarks and nothing beyond the legislation which was introduced in the Congress which, in some instances ... would lead to citizenship in a decade or more down the road. We can continue to stick our heads in the sand and ignore the substantial problem, or deal with it. American wants it dealt with intelligently ... not in a knee jerk and hateful manner.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Biden was saying what a majority of Americans are saying. There's nothing new in his remarks and nothing beyond the legislation which was introduced in the Congress which, in some instances ... would lead to citizenship in a decade or more down the road. We can continue to stick our heads in the sand and ignore the substantial problem, or deal with it. American wants it dealt with intelligently ... not in a knee jerk and hateful manner.
I disagree that the majority of Americans want these illegal aliens legalized and least of all put on a path to citizenship. What's hateful about adhering to our immigration laws and the enforcement of them? There is nothing intelligent about amnestying them. We have millions of Americans out of work and they will still be a net burden to us financially. Not to mention that is makes a mockery out our of borders and immigration laws. Amnesty will just encourage more illegal immigration just like it did the last time.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Amnesty will just encourage more illegal immigration just like it did the last time.
It seems clear to me you aren't familiar with the legislation which was introduced.

Here's a summary:
Moderator cut: quote shortened, please follow the link to the original source

Source: Immigration reform bill

Last edited by Yac; 05-07-2014 at 04:56 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Longford, have you forgotten what happened after the 1986 amnesty and the several other amnesties we've had since then?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Longford, have you forgotten what happened after the 1986 amnesty and the several other amnesties we've had since then?
No, I haven't forgotten. Neigher have those in the Congress who crafted legislation in a way which would minimize what Ronald Reagan did to the USA with his Amnesty plan. There is no "amnesty" being proposed in the most recent legislation. If someone qualifies for the path to citizenship .... it'll take them 13-15 years to reach that goal. That's hardly "amnesty," as I view it. We can allow the problem to fester and get worse, or we can try to fix it. You're either as big a part of the problem as the illegals are, or you're working on a realistic ... but imperfect ... solution.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
No, I haven't forgotten. Neigher have those in the Congress who crafted legislation in a way which would minimize what Ronald Reagan did to the USA with his Amnesty plan. There is no "amnesty" being proposed in the most recent legislation. If someone qualifies for the path to citizenship .... it'll take them 13-15 years to reach that goal. That's hardly "amnesty," as I view it. We can allow the problem to fester and get worse, or we can try to fix it. You're either as big a part of the problem as the illegals are, or you're working on a realistic ... but imperfect ... solution.
Anything that allows illegal aliens to remain here rather than going back to their homeland and waiting their turn in line to come back here legally IS amnesty. The back of the line in is in their own countries, not ours.

Granting amnesty will not fix the problem. It will only increase the problem. There is nothing unrealistic about removing all incentives for them to remain here. There lays the solution. Not another failed amnesty.

Addressing your other post who is going to monitor all these so-called penalties and at what expense to the taxpayer? Our government can't even keep track of visa overstayers. Do you actually think that just because there are some so-called provisions to deny illegal aliens health care and other benefits that our inept government will follow thru on them? I oppose anyone who has resided in our country illegally to have the priviledge of serving in our military. They've already shown they aren't trustworthy and many of them still remain loyal to their own countries.

Lastly, calling them "undocumented" is not what they are. They are illegal aliens according to immigration law.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-06-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Anything that allows illegal aliens to remain here rather than going back to their homeland and waiting their turn in line to come back here legally IS amnesty. The back of the line in is in their own countries, not ours.

Granting amnesty will not fix the problem. It will only increase the problem. There is nothing unrealistic about removing all incentives for them to remain here. There lays the solution. Not another failed amnesty.

Addressing your other post who is going to monitor all these so-called penalties and at what expense to the taxpayer? Our government can't even keep track of visa overstayers. Do you actually think that just because there are some so-called provisions to deny illegal aliens health care and other benefits that our inept government will follow thru on them? I oppose anyone who has resided in our country illegally to have the priviledge of serving in our military. They've already shown they aren't trustworthy and many of them still remain loyal to their own countries.

Lastly, calling them "undocumented" is not what they are. They are illegal aliens according to immigration law.
Fine, you think it's amnesty, but what's proposed in no way resembles amnesty. You sound like a broken record. Take the time to read the proposals. I don't think I'm the person using the "undocumented" terminology. Pure and simple, the people who either overstay their visa timeframe or those who cross our borders illegally ... are illegal aliens. I don't think I've ever described them differently. Anyhow, a round-up of over 10+ million people by the military of special police squads is clearly unworkable and many innocent people would likely be caught-up in the dragnet and the whole idea of that will scare the s*it out the country ... particularly honest to goodnes conservatives.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Fine, you think it's amnesty, but what's proposed in no way resembles amnesty. You sound like a broken record. Take the time to read the proposals. I don't think I'm the person using the "undocumented" terminology. Pure and simple, the people who either overstay their visa timeframe or those who cross our borders illegally ... are illegal aliens. I don't think I've ever described them differently. Anyhow, a round-up of over 10+ million people by the military of special police squads is clearly unworkable and many innocent people would likely be caught-up in the dragnet and the whole idea of that will scare the s*it out the country ... particularly honest to goodnes conservatives.
What do legal immigrants have to do in order to apply for a VISA?
They have to apply for said VISA in the nation of their origin.
What do legal immigrants have to do before entering the United States?
Wait to be granted a VISA.
What do legal immigrants have to show in order to be granted a VISA?
No criminal past including violations of US laws.
What happened to Obama's pledge that illegals would have to follow the same path as legals?
The immigration reform bill is nothing more than an attempt at pandering and an excuse to spend billions in pork. It is a very bad law that does very little to address the actual problems in our immigration system.
Rewarding criminal behavior is never acceptable. You don't need to round up 10 million illegals. You need mandatory E-verify with fines that make it to costly to even take the risk. We should also seize the assets of any illegal caught to help offset the cost of their deportation.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Longford---it was explained to you in another thread that this so-called "immigration reform"
is just a euphemism for amnesty. Why don't you get it? If anyone sounds "like a broken record", it is you.

Oh puleez! No one is talking about rounding up illegal aliens. However, if it was done, it will be money well spent. If any "innocent people" get caught up in the dragnet, that's life. All they have to do is show proof that they are here legally. Besides, think about it --- if "innocent people" get caught up in the dragnet, it is most likely because they are hanging around illegal aliens. You know, it's sort of like "innocent people" who get caught in drug raids. That's what they get for hanging around drug addicts and dealers.

Instead, what needs to be done is ---1) Make E-verify the law of the land and once it is the law of the land, run everybody in the workforce through it to weed out the 8 million no-match SSNs. 2) Do something about the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. 3) Make sure that illegal aliens can not tap into any welfare programs. 4) Build a fence from Brownsville to San Diego.

If illegals can't find work or tap into any welfare programs, they will leave on their own accord. Would you stay anywhere if you couldn't find work or collect unemployment?

What is being proposed in this nightmare of a so-called "immigration reform" is indeed amnesty. After all, it forgives illegals for ID theft, tax evasion and they are allowed to have up to 2 DUIs. Also, all gang members need to do is to swear that they've given up gang activity---and if you think that someone will be checking to see if they do give it up, then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell to you.

And guess what? The majority of Americans do NOT want amnesty for illegals. Doubt it? Take a look at comments sections in any newspaper when this topic comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration