U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
...Any reputable day care center will screen any potential employee to see if they have a criminal record.

That said, unlicensed day care centers are not going to take the time to screen employees. The moral of the story for parents shopping around for day care---do your homework.
Thus you are making my argument for me, that a reputable employer is going to avoid the perception that they are hiring anyone that appears to be criminally-inclined...

 
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
 
31,514 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Thus you are making my argument for me, that a reputable employer is going to avoid the perception that they are hiring anyone that appears to be criminally-inclined...
How does one "appear" to be criminally inclined? Do criminals have a certain look? Do they dress differently? What?
 
Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM
 
31,514 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You said that in Hispanic communities you couldn't tell whom was here illegally and whom was legal just a few weeks ago. I can't even count the number of times you have said that the Hispanic population in the United States is largely from illegal immigration. In practice, e-Verify is going to be implemented to remove the perception that any employees are "illegals", the American public doesn't have any concern over "deep cover" illegal aliens at all.
Good God, man! Your reading comprehension skills are sorely lacking. I said the explosive "growth" in the Hispanic community is via illegal immigration and anchor babies. That doesn't mean that I think that the illegal Hispanic community is larger than the legal one yet.

You have no proof of your claims of "perception". E-verify will clear any legal Mexicans/Hispanics or other workers here legally. It's unbelievable that you think employers wouldn't hire Mexicans/Hispanics if e-verify is implemented because of some surmised ignorant public misconception by a minority of idiots. If anything using e-verify should boost the confidence of the public that the workers they see are here legally. Sorry, but your arguments are getting desperate now.

I have never called anyone a dirtbag scum so why are you claiming that I have? Profiling is against the law but under lawful contact if one can't produce a viable ID the police have a right to ask one's status in this country.

I still stand by what I have said many times. I cannot tell who is here illegally in our country and who is not. Nothing I have said contradicts that. Just because certain ethnic groups have a discernible look does not make them here illegally either and I have never said that it does.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-17-2014 at 04:54 PM..
 
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM
 
11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
Reputation: 9869
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Thus you are making my argument for me, that a reputable employer is going to avoid the perception that they are hiring anyone that appears to be criminally-inclined...
You no longer make sense. In fact, you're still going on about day care centers not hiring "anyone that appears to be criminally-inclined".

Just what exactly are you getting at? Are you saying that reputable day care centers are going to refuse to hire people that belong to certain ethnic, racial or religious groups solely because the person who is doing the hiring will look at someone and say they think that person looks like a criminal? That they are going to refuse to do a background check on someone based on their looks? You really believe this? If so, all I can say is "Wow!"

I did NOT make your argument. I said that a reputable day care center is not going to hire someone without first doing a background check on that person. To not do so would be madness. You, apparently, think that they will look at someone and say, without knowing a thing about that person, "S/he doesn't look like a criminal so therefore, no background check is necessary". Again, that would be madness as you know darn well that you can't tell just by looking at someone if they are criminals or not.

I think it's safe to say that people looking for a good, reputable day care center won't care about the race, religion or ethnicity of its employees. They will care about if the center did a background check on all of their employees.
 
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Yac
 
5,875 posts, read 6,293,306 times
I've a feeling this isn't going anywhere constructive, but I'm not going to close it just yet (surprise). I'll give you all the benefit of doubt and hope this thread won't go downhill like many others did.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Chicago Area
7,421 posts, read 3,857,973 times
Reputation: 2614
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And deport them.
This does seem to be the consensus sentiment: The estimated 12 million people who are here illegally should be deported. Ideally, that's what we'd do. They broke the law, they should be forced to leave. Trouble it that's not even remotely realistic.

Easy to say, damn near impossible to actually do. You have 12 million people who are well hidden scattered across all 50 states. You wanna track them all down one by one, prove that they are here illegally and then deport them? I don't know if it's even possible, but just attempting to hunt down 12 million people who don't want to be found would be insanely expensive.

You have under the table style employers who are willing to hire them to work at a bargain rate. Want a house cleaning, carpenter, yardwork, landscaping, remodeling at your house for you at 1/2 the going price? Who wouldn't? These people will always be able to find work because they're willing to charge less. Wanna monitor the entire population of the United States at all times? Once again, sounds pretty damned expensive to me.

At the very least we can refuse to allow illegals to leech off of the American social systems. Those that do so have to come out of hiding to do it, so by all means send them back to wherever they came from. If you wanna come to the USA to be a leech, no thank you. Go home. If you're a criminal, then the same goes: Go home. But the remaining millions of them are already being productive members of society. Make them a good enough offer to bring them out into the open. Give them a pathway to legal residency, preferably citizenship. They broke the law so they should have to pay some sort of penalty. Five years military service for those that can do it. Those that cannot could pay a fine of several thousand dollars.

We need to get these people out of the shadows where they can pay taxes like everyone else. In return, wage and work laws/regulations can now protect them.
 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,768,384 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This does seem to be the consensus sentiment: The estimated 12 million people who are here illegally should be deported. Ideally, that's what we'd do. They broke the law, they should be forced to leave. Trouble it that's not even remotely realistic.

Easy to say, damn near impossible to actually do. You have 12 million people who are well hidden scattered across all 50 states. You wanna track them all down one by one, prove that they are here illegally and then deport them? I don't know if it's even possible, but just attempting to hunt down 12 million people who don't want to be found would be insanely expensive.

You have under the table style employers who are willing to hire them to work at a bargain rate. Want a house cleaning, carpenter, yardwork, landscaping, remodeling at your house for you at 1/2 the going price? Who wouldn't? These people will always be able to find work because they're willing to charge less. Wanna monitor the entire population of the United States at all times? Once again, sounds pretty damned expensive to me.

At the very least we can refuse to allow illegals to leech off of the American social systems. Those that do so have to come out of hiding to do it, so by all means send them back to wherever they came from. If you wanna come to the USA to be a leech, no thank you. Go home. If you're a criminal, then the same goes: Go home. But the remaining millions of them are already being productive members of society. Make them a good enough offer to bring them out into the open. Give them a pathway to legal residency, preferably citizenship. They broke the law so they should have to pay some sort of penalty. Five years military service for those that can do it. Those that cannot could pay a fine of several thousand dollars.

We need to get these people out of the shadows where they can pay taxes like everyone else. In return, wage and work laws/regulations can now protect them.
If we impose stiff penalties on hiring them (even day laborers) and end all welfare handouts to them, most will self-deport.

Reward them with amnesty? Bad idea. At the time of the 1986 amnesty, we had about 3 million illegals. Now we have about 12 million. If we give them such a generous reward, there'll probably be 50 million when it's time for the 2040 amnesty.
 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 AM
 
741 posts, read 615,585 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
At the very least we can refuse to allow illegals to leech off of the American social systems. Those that do so have to come out of hiding to do it, so by all means send them back to wherever they came from. If you wanna come to the USA to be a leech, no thank you. Go home. If you're a criminal, then the same goes: Go home. But the remaining millions of them are already being productive members of society. Make them a good enough offer to bring them out into the open. Give them a pathway to legal residency, preferably citizenship. They broke the law so they should have to pay some sort of penalty. Five years military service for those that can do it. Those that cannot could pay a fine of several thousand dollars.
Yes.
 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,444,743 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This does seem to be the consensus sentiment: The estimated 12 million people who are here illegally should be deported. Ideally, that's what we'd do. They broke the law, they should be forced to leave. Trouble it that's not even remotely realistic.

Easy to say, damn near impossible to actually do. You have 12 million people who are well hidden scattered across all 50 states. You wanna track them all down one by one, prove that they are here illegally and then deport them? I don't know if it's even possible, but just attempting to hunt down 12 million people who don't want to be found would be insanely expensive.

You have under the table style employers who are willing to hire them to work at a bargain rate. Want a house cleaning, carpenter, yardwork, landscaping, remodeling at your house for you at 1/2 the going price? Who wouldn't? These people will always be able to find work because they're willing to charge less. Wanna monitor the entire population of the United States at all times? Once again, sounds pretty damned expensive to me..
Actually Americans would hate the obvious solution to the problem. Very often, in drug/prostitution stings, cops seize the cars of the criminals. We should seize the home equity of those who utilize illegal labor. That equity should be the fine for their illegal action. In a short amount of time, we'd have far less illegal immigration.(P.S. What should occur is if the house is worth 500k, the loan was 400k, and 300k remains, 100k should return to the bank, in other words, the house should be fully owned free and clear by them. 100k should go towards better securing the border..the INS.)
 
Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM
 
31,514 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8384
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If we impose stiff penalties on hiring them (even day laborers) and end all welfare handouts to them, most will self-deport.

Reward them with amnesty? Bad idea. At the time of the 1986 amnesty, we had about 3 million illegals. Now we have about 12 million. If we give them such a generous reward, there'll probably be 50 million when it's time for the 2040 amnesty.
Actually, we need to do one more thing and that is to end birthright citizens for their kids. They are able to tap into our welfare coffers thru them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top