U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:33 PM

3,539 posts, read 2,197,178 times

Advertisements

I know, we can kill several birds with the same stone: The GOP can make the Hispanic community happy, can make liberals happy and take away a big source of angst for the progressive community at the same time: Raise the minimum wage to $10, but make it $20/hr if you are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:06 PM

741 posts, read 620,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Longford---In response to #3 --- First of all, if this nightmare of a so-called "immigration reform" bill passes, E-verify won't be the law of the land for 5 years. On top of that, the only criteria for deciding that the border is secure is if the DHS secretary says so. And those of us who weren't born yesterday, know that Napolitano always insisted that the border was secure when it is anything but. So...even after this nightmare bill passes, illegal aliens will still be getting to the country and still finding work.

I just saw #2---Please don't believe that fairy tale. Every day, illegal aliens are coming to this country---either by sneaking across the border or overstaying a visa. Very few have returned to their own countries. If a lot of them are going home, I think that I would have noticed that. However, they are all still here and continuing to destroy my community.
Fine. Then you seem to have made the choice to do nothing ... which allows the problem to increase. Of all the whining I read about immigration reform, the people whining don't have a solution to offer ... other than mass deportations which conjur images of the worst atrocities in past history. People either work towards an honest solution, or they should just sit down and be quite ... and let the legislators trying to work something out do their jobs.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM

11,673 posts, read 5,621,050 times
Longford---So, you consider stating facts to be "whining". How very strange of you!

I most certainly do have a solution to offer. One or more of the following needs to happen:

1) Abolish the H1-B visa program and send all H1-B visa holders back to their own countries.

2) If #1 isn't palatable, then make the fees so high for sponsoring an H1-B visa applicant that it will make companies think twice before sponsoring one. In addition to make the fees higher, make the companies pay higher taxes which go up with every H1-B they hire.

3) Make it worth their while to hire experienced American citizen STEM/IT workers. For every experienced American they hire who has been out of work so long that their skills have gone rusty, give the company a tax break. The tax break gets increased if they also offer training to get the new hires up to speed. Also, give a tax break for helping those Americans who need to relocate.

In due time, companies will see that it won't be worth their while to hire H1-Bs. Then they will only hire H1-Bs if they fully exhausted their search for a qualified American. For example, I once read of an employer who really wanted to hire an American. However, he needed someone who was fully fluent in English and Ukrainian since his company was working with companies in Ukraine. He looked high and low for an American but couldn't find one. This story is an example of how the H1-B visa should be used.

Are you happy now, Longford?

I am but one person who has let my rep know about this problem, as has my husband. Yet you somehow expect me to singlehandedly change the corrupt H1-B visa program.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,994,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Fine. Then you seem to have made the choice to do nothing ... which allows the problem to increase. Of all the whining I read about immigration reform, the people whining don't have a solution to offer ... other than mass deportations which conjur images of the worst atrocities in past history. People either work towards an honest solution, or they should just sit down and be quite ... and let the legislators trying to work something out do their jobs.
Doing nothing is better than doing worse.The immigration reform bill is an example of doing worse.
1. It rewards illegals for breaking our laws.
2. It is a bill laced with very expensive pork that does little to address the problems with our system.
3. It delays mandatory E-Verify for 5 years.
What would make sense and would be better is multiple bills passed into law, starting with E-verify.
Update and streamline our current system which is top heavy with needless redundancy.
Illegals should have to follow the exact same path as legals follow, no exceptions.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM

32,132 posts, read 14,853,262 times
Quote:
No, passing another amnesty would allow the problem to increase. Whining? This is a serious issue. I'd hardly call it whining. We have offered a solution and again you keep claiming we are for mass deportations and we already told you that we are not. We want e-verify, removing benefits for illegal aliens including birthright citizenship. Most will self-deport. Honest solution? I hardly think that amnesty or the PC term CIR is an honest solution for the American people. If our politicians were doing their jobs they wouldn't have allowed this to happen in the first place.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, passing another amnesty would allow the problem to increase. Whining? This is a serious issue. I'd hardly call it whining. We have offered a solution and again you keep claiming we are for mass deportations and we already told you that we are not. We want e-verify, removing benefits for illegal aliens including birthright citizenship. Most will self-deport. Honest solution? I hardly think that amnesty or the PC term CIR is an honest solution for the American people. If our politicians were doing their jobs they wouldn't have allowed this to happen in the first place.
Quite correct, Oldglory!

Longford---Why do you have this fixation where you think that everybody here is for mass deportations? No one has endorsed this and we've explained to you on and on ad nauseum what needs to be done.

Yet, once again. Please pay attention and take notes --- Make E-verify the law of the land and run everybody through it to weed out the 8 million no-match SSNs. Do something about the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. No welfare benefits for illegal aliens---and before you say that illegals can't get welfare, think again. All they have to do is have an anchor baby and said baby is eligible for all sorts of welfare programs. Plus the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing.

If illegal aliens can't find work or get any welfare at all, they will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work, collect unemployment or any kind of welfare?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 PM

92 posts, read 74,343 times
Well the people who are affected by this are already here legally so I don't have a problem with legal immigrants only the illegal ones.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~d View Post
Well the people who are affected by this are already here legally so I don't have a problem with legal immigrants only the illegal ones.
Yes, they're here legally but their visa (H-4) does NOT allow them to work. Now, here we are faced with yet another dictatorial decision where the laws are bypassed. It's bad enough that H1-Bs have displaced many American citizen STEM/IT workers but now their spouses are going to be allowed to work before the H1-B even gets his/her green card---and that's wrong.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Quite correct, Oldglory!

Longford---Why do you have this fixation where you think that everybody here is for mass deportations? No one has endorsed this and we've explained to you on and on ad nauseum what needs to be done.

Yet, once again. Please pay attention and take notes --- Make E-verify the law of the land and run everybody through it to weed out the 8 million no-match SSNs. Do something about the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. No welfare benefits for illegal aliens---and before you say that illegals can't get welfare, think again. All they have to do is have an anchor baby and said baby is eligible for all sorts of welfare programs. Plus the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing.

If illegal aliens can't find work or get any welfare at all, they will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work, collect unemployment or any kind of welfare?
Agreed and put a stop to ESL and make English the ONLY language for EBT, DMV and so on in the 50 US states. No understand English, no American drivers license.

Too; maybe it's time to do what the Dominican Republic did with their illegal aliens, yank the citizenship of their anchor babies although I'd cut it off for those under 18 years here in the US but leave the older ones alone.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 PM

405 posts, read 361,356 times
Quote:
Register the illegals, verify who they are and where they're working and give them temporary permission to work ... and employers will have less incentive to look for lower-paid, illegal aliens and those who are legally residing in the USA but unemployed who will accept the type of work will have a better chance of finding it.
Can you please explain your logic? Logic to me holds that if we legally recognized the illegals, employers would go out and look for illegal aliens not in the program. If we legally recognize them they become subject to minimum wage, overtime, anti-discrimination, and other rules, unless you're going to carve out an exception.

And again, you don't have to deport. Just require eVerify and attach heavy employer penalties. They'll self-deport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or