U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times

Advertisements

Basically it boils down to CA not wanting to differentiate DL's for citizens and non-citizens.
CA wants to treat everyone as one big happy family.

Good thing that DHS is pushing back on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM

7,405 posts, read 3,731,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Basically it boils down to CA not wanting to differentiate DL's for citizens and non-citizens.
CA wants to treat everyone as one big happy family.

Good thing that DHS is pushing back on this one.
The proposed CA license had markings on both the front and back that distinguished it from the license a US citizen would have.

California design of driver's license for immigrants rejected*-*Los Angeles Times

The current design does not differ from other California licenses except for a subtle mark on the front and a disclaimer on the back in small print: "This card is not acceptable for official federal purposes."
In addition to the disclaimer on the back, the proposed license has the letters DP ("driving privilege") on the front instead of DL ("driver's license").

Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The proposed CA license had markings on both the front and back that distinguished it from the license a US citizen would have.

California design of driver's license for immigrants rejected*-*Los Angeles Times

The current design does not differ from other California licenses except for a subtle mark on the front and a disclaimer on the back in small print: "This card is not acceptable for official federal purposes."
In addition to the disclaimer on the back, the proposed license has the letters DP ("driving privilege") on the front instead of DL ("driver's license").
I agree with DHS..it should be CLEARLY visible..not a "subtle mark" that could go unnoticed if they left the state.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,174 times
Did anyone read the comments, or attempt to? I must have read 300... what's interesting, the posts were against illegals having DLs, or "driving permits" as California in all its political correctness calls them.

I sure as heck would like to know WHO besides politicians and our government are so obsessed with bringing (mostly poor and uneducated) people into the US?? If it wasn't so abhorrent, the situation would be funny, one for the record books, "facts are stranger than fiction." I just don't get it as a responsible taxpayer whose income keeps going down in this former "Golden State."

Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Did anyone read the comments, or attempt to? I must have read 300... what's interesting, the posts were against illegals having DLs, or "driving permits" as California in all its political correctness calls them.

I sure as heck would like to know WHO besides politicians and our government are so obsessed with bringing (mostly poor and uneducated) people into the US?? If it wasn't so abhorrent, the situation would be funny, one for the record books, "facts are stranger than fiction." I just don't get it as a responsible taxpayer whose income keeps going down in this former "Golden State."
Well, those who hire them want them here, bleeding heart liberals and those with ethnic ties to them do.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:

Well everyone in California does not think alike believe me. I know people here who make very good money, believe me and some who have a hard time making it. Many hard paying taxpayers are seeing their incomes going no where, while everything seems to be going up.

Our gas prices are some of the worse in the Nation. Has to come a time, when rewarding behavior to criminals, needs to stop.

Many in the construction industry, are know for hiring illegals, and that needs to plain stop. As well as in other fields also. These employers need to be fined, and a stiffer penality to boot.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well everyone in California does not think alike believe me. I know people here who make very good money, believe me and some who have a hard time making it. Many hard paying taxpayers are seeing their incomes going no where, while everything seems to be going up.

Our gas prices are some of the worse in the Nation. Has to come a time, when rewarding behavior to criminals, needs to stop.

Many in the construction industry, are know for hiring illegals, and that needs to plain stop. As well as in other fields also. These employers need to be fined, and a stiffer penality to boot.
Ditto! As a lifelong California resident, I agree 100%. My friends and I feel the same way, and guess what?
We are NOT Republicans! As much as I like Jerry Brown (back in his Secretary of State days especially), I totally disagree with his policies this time around as Governor. In the SF Bay Area where I live, the whole place is a "sanctuary" for illegals. Over the past 40 years, I have seen it change into the likes of a Third World Country. I have worked my butt off in my career, and especially have no use for those who take advantage of our resources. No one is going to be there for me when I am a decrepit senior citizen.

I could write a book.

BTW, has anyone visited a Social Security office in the past ten years? Last time I was there, out of at least 100 people, I was one of the very few who could speak English. Most of them were elderly brought over by their children, and for those who weren't accompanied, the SS office had interpreters!

Yikes!!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Ditto! As a lifelong California resident, I agree 100%. My friends and I feel the same way, and guess what?
We are NOT Republicans! As much as I like Jerry Brown (back in his Secretary of State days especially), I totally disagree with his policies this time around as Governor. In the SF Bay Area where I live, the whole place is a "sanctuary" for illegals. Over the past 40 years, I have seen it change into the likes of a Third World Country. I have worked my butt off in my career, and especially have no use for those who take advantage of our resources. No one is going to be there for me when I am a decrepit senior citizen.

I could write a book.

BTW, has anyone visited a Social Security office in the past ten years? Last time I was there, out of at least 100 people, I was one of the very few who could speak English. Most of them were elderly brought over by their children, and for those who weren't accompanied, the SS office had interpreters!

Yikes!!
That's been the case in ER rooms here for the last 20 years. Where we went wrong was not sending a high profile case to prison for a while. Those that use illegals get a free pass. Send some business owner, probably in ag, to prison for a while and no one will hire them. Instant self-deportation.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's been the case in ER rooms here for the last 20 years. Where we went wrong was not sending a high profile case to prison for a while. Those that use illegals get a free pass. Send some business owner, probably in ag, to prison for a while and no one will hire them. Instant self-deportation.
You mean "where we CONTINUE to go wrong." Not only are employers not punished for hiring illegals, we are forced to put the welcome mat out.

How many hospitals closed in Los Angeles over the past few years due to going broke? I remember being jarred into reality when I read that article.

Covered California plans to offer illegal aliens medical insurance. When is it ever going to end?? I agree -- arrest the employers who hire them. But then we hear the old tired saw, "But no one else will do the work."

Whatever happened to Braceros in California? I remember as a young kid in the late 1950s truckloads of farm workers (I grew up outside Sacramento in Yolo County -- lots of agriculture.). Heck, I remember picking black walnuts as a young teen because we would be paid $1.00 for a big bag. That was spending money and easier than waiting for our weekly allowance. And I grew up in an educated upper-middle class family. I don't ever recall anyone in my life looking down on the farm workers.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
You mean "where we CONTINUE to go wrong." Not only are employers not punished for hiring illegals, we are forced to put the welcome mat out.

How many hospitals closed in Los Angeles over the past few years due to going broke? I remember being jarred into reality when I read that article.

Covered California plans to offer illegal aliens medical insurance. When is it ever going to end?? I agree -- arrest the employers who hire them. But then we hear the old tired saw, "But no one else will do the work."

Whatever happened to Braceros in California? I remember as a young kid in the late 1950s truckloads of farm workers (I grew up outside Sacramento in Yolo County -- lots of agriculture.). Heck, I remember picking black walnuts as a young teen because we would be paid $1.00 for a big bag. That was spending money and easier than waiting for our weekly allowance. And I grew up in an educated upper-middle class family. I don't ever recall anyone in my life looking down on the farm workers.
The problem is proving that the owner of a business knew that those doing the hiring for them hired illegal aliens. Some times they do not know it. That is why we need e-verify mandated in every workplace. I know of a few cases where the owner's were prosecuted for hiring illegal aliens and had to pay stiff fines. I think it was a meat packing place where the owner was jailed also. Sorry, I can't provide a link as it was awhile back.

As for farm work, I reiterate that only 3-4% of illegal aliens are working those jobs and even at that the employers have unlimited visas for legal workers. It's all about greed that they don't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or