U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,767 times

Advertisements

I don't believe any of these people are to be believed when it comes to illegal immigration. I'll bet they all (except Tancredo) would give amnesty to millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
http://www.betterimmigration.com/can.../prez2008.html

Here's a link to the presidental candidates stance on illegals. Click on either party to see a breakdown of how they rate on illegals.
The link is dated January, 2004, some have changed beliefs on illegals since then.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
The link is dated January, 2004, some have changed beliefs on illegals since then.
I'm not sure where you are getting that. This link was just emailed to me by NumbersUsa this week. Also the following statement is found on the link:

""ASSESSMENTS CHANGE WITH THE CANDIDATES: The NumbersUSA staff updates the candidate information pages every day. NumbersUSA Founder and CEO Roy Beck looks at those updates and adjusts his grading of the candidates based on the newest information of changes in candidate comments.""

I'm glad it has been an eye opener. I thought it was nice to have everyone listed in one place. Hope it helps

Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM

376 posts, read 612,215 times
There are many Americans who lived in parts of this country when it was considered as Mexico then. Some of these people had African ancestry, others European ancestry, others Asian ancestry, and others were indigenous people of the area (so called Native Americans). I wonder if all these peoples are called Mexican Americans now…. or what?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
There are many Americans who lived in parts of this country when it was considered as Mexico then. Some of these people had African ancestry, others European ancestry, others Asian ancestry, and others were indigenous people of the area (so called Native Americans). I wonder if all these peoples are called Mexican Americans now…. or what?
Hard to say.

Some would be 'Mexican' American; others Navajo Indian, etc.

99% politics and 1% DNA, as it were.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 AM

17,281 posts, read 24,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post

I think that, if more than 5 generations out you're still calling yourself "a foreign" identifier or a "hyphenated" anything - American, 1) you have some real identity complex issues, and 2) Your family has not intermarried enough, and has failed to become a part of the melting pot.

My father is 100% of a particular nationality, being an immigrant. My mother, however, can count about 8 nationalities in her background, as her family has been in America much longer. My father, if he wanted, could hyphenate himself if he were to become an official citizen (which he has not done and probably never will at this point).... but it would be ridiculous for my mother to hyphenate or call herself all 8 of her "background" nationalities.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think that, if more than 5 generations out you're still calling yourself "a foreign" identifier or a "hyphenated" anything - American, 1) you have some real identity complex issues, and 2) Your family has not intermarried enough, and has failed to become a part of the melting pot.

My father is 100% of a particular nationality, being an immigrant. My mother, however, can count about 8 nationalities in her background, as her family has been in America much longer. My father, if he wanted, could hyphenate himself if he were to become an official citizen (which he has not done and probably never will at this point).... but it would be ridiculous for my mother to hyphenate or call herself all 8 of her "background" nationalities.
No joke there:

I once knew a Nordic White kid with the surname 'Luna'; his paternal great grandfather was from Mexico I believe.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM

635 posts, read 1,560,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't believe any of these people are to be believed when it comes to illegal immigration. I'll bet they all (except Tancredo) would give amnesty to millions.
If you give amnesty and secure the border I don't see the problem with depressed American wages. If that's the major American beef over illegal immigration, this would solve the problem. Once illegals, now legal Latino-Americans could get better paying jobs, and blue collar jobs won't be so depressed. Americans would have an easier time finding better paying jobs to support their families, wages would increase for blue collar workers.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
The link says 2008, it's right in the link.

http://www.betterimmigration.com/can.../prez2008.html

.......all candidates from the 2006 elections, and preznit candidates from 2008.

Oh, and, here's a link from last week showing the people's concerns in order.

http://www.pollingreport.com/prioriti.htm

War in Iraq

Economy/Jobs

Health care

Immigration

Immigration? ....immigration polled at 4%.

The latest Rasmussen poll shows immigration to be lagging behind Gov't Ethics & Corruption, the Economy, Nat'l Security/War on Terror, Health Care, Social Security, Education, Iraq, and Taxes.

Immigration barely beats out the last concern, which is listed as abortions.

Not really the hot button issue it's portrayed to be, .......

Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,374,882 times
http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/..._rail_aga.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration