U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,097,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
http://www.betterimmigration.com/can.../prez2008.html

Here's a link to the presidental candidates stance on illegals. Click on either party to see a breakdown of how they rate on illegals.
Gee...it seems to be just a little biased, lol. But at least it has what I'm assuming are direct quotes from candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
There are many Americans who lived in parts of this country when it was considered as Mexico then. Some of these people had African ancestry, others European ancestry, others Asian ancestry, and others were indigenous people of the area (so called Native Americans). I wonder if all these peoples are called Mexican Americans nowÖ. or what?
True -- like Texas at the time of Texas Independence from Mexico had very few Mexicans and what Mexicans there were often were the Federalists that opposed Mexican Centralists. Whites outnumbered Mexicans (except back in those days, many Mexicans considered themselves whites).

The Texans were given citizenship when the government of Spain invited them in weren't they -- I believe they were.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True -- like Texas at the time of Texas Independence from Mexico had very few Mexicans and what Mexicans there were often were the Federalists that opposed Mexican Centralists. Whites outnumbered Mexicans (except back in those days, many Mexicans considered themselves whites).

The Texans were given citizenship when the government of Spain invited them in weren't they -- I believe they were.
Please keep in mind that a 'Mexican' can be of any race......I have a from of mine SOB, born and raised along with both of his parents-----he is 100% Askenazi Jewish lineage from Eastern Europe.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM

376 posts, read 612,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think that, if more than 5 generations out you're still calling yourself "a foreign" identifier or a "hyphenated" anything - American, 1) you have some real identity complex issues, and 2) Your family has not intermarried enough, and has failed to become a part of the melting pot.
First, I don't know what you mean by "melting pot". Second, I donít see anything wrong in marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool. The are many Americans I know of from, lets say New York, who have married from generation after generation with fellow Italians. In fact, there are neighborhoods in New York that are considered as Italian. The same can be said of Little China of San Francisco and many other U.S. neighborhoods that have and maintain there own ethnic cultures.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
First, I don't know what you mean by "melting pot". Second, I don’t see anything wrong in marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool. The are many Americans I know of from, lets say New York, who have married from generation after generation with fellow Italians. In fact, there are neighborhoods in New York that are considered as Italian. The same can be said of Little China of San Francisco and many other U.S. neighborhoods that have and maintain there own ethnic cultures.
Not racist either.

Rule of thumb is that most people marry others similar to themselves but; not too much alike to both maintain bloodlines yet cut down the chances of genetic disease due to 'inbreeding'.

In my case; despite my being half Hungarian, I look like a stereotypical WASP/Scandinavian hence being genetically 'programmed' to accept similar Nordic (red hair/blonde) women as potential mates.

A friend of mine; also 1/2 Hungarian, looks 'Latina' (high cheekbones, slanted eyes, dark hair, etc.) she will most likely wind up with a Mestizo or similar looking man despite being 100% legally 'Anglo/White'.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Gee...it seems to be just a little biased, lol. But at least it has what I'm assuming are direct quotes from candidates.
How is it biased? They have the source of the candidates quotes listed for each candidate. It's not like they are making things up.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
How is it biased? They have the source of the candidates quotes listed for each candidate. It's not like they are making things up.
Yes, true, but it's the way they put the chart together, for one thing. Saying "poor," and "abysmal" in reference to the candidates' stances or plans seems really subjective, don't you think? It seems like a conservative website.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It seems like a conservative website.
If you look into their funding and who they link to and read up on the history of the major participants, you will find it not only 'seems' like a conservative website, but that it definitively is a conservative site.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
If you look into their funding and who they link to and read up on the history of the major participants, you will find it not only 'seems' like a conservative website, but that it definitively is a conservative site.
Definitely.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
First, I don't know what you mean by "melting pot". Second, I donít see anything wrong in marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool. The are many Americans I know of from, lets say New York, who have married from generation after generation with fellow Italians. In fact, there are neighborhoods in New York that are considered as Italian. The same can be said of Little China of San Francisco and many other U.S. neighborhoods that have and maintain there own ethnic cultures.
"Little Italy" has dwindled to a pittance of what it once was.

It's not a matter of only marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool, it's clinging to this notion that your ancestral gene pool is so imporatant you feel the need to hyphenate your nationality indicator, when the rest of the world just looks at you like any other American.

Arnold Swarzenegger is an Austrian-American. I can accept that. If he had kids? Ehhhh... probably not going to ever get me to say they're "Austrian Americans."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration