U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,226,753 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
If you look into their funding and who they link to and read up on the history of the major participants, you will find it not only 'seems' like a conservative website, but that it definitively is a conservative site.
Who cares if the site is conservative or liberal when the information contained is factual? The fact is the candidates made statements on the issues and there is proper documentation to back it up, it's not made up. Obviously no one should base their decision simply upon someones else's interpretation of the information. They should look at the data that supports it and decide for themselves.

I also noticed the site updates daily as they claim. I swear that Huckabee was a fair on amnesty now they have ??????? under that column. I'd say they are pretty darned fair in their assessment of the candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 729,540 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Who cares if the site is conservative or liberal when the information contained is factual? The fact is the candidates made statements on the issues and there is proper documentation to back it up, it's not made up. Obviously no one should base their decision simply upon someones else's interpretation of the information. They should look at the data that supports it and decide for themselves.

I also noticed the site updates daily as they claim. I swear that Huckabee was a fair on amnesty now they have ??????? under that column. I'd say they are pretty darned fair in their assessment of the candidates.
....factual? Candidates make all kinds of 'statements', if you cherry pick the right statements, even candidates can be made to 'sound' like they are conservative or liberal.

You want something to back up the statements, you look at their actions, their votes on issues, ....their statements, their rhetoric, rarely comes even close to matching their actions.

Same with 'data', if you're not seeing data from opposing views, data can be manipulated.

Of course you know all this, .....right....,

...but then you still ask what difference it could make if it's a conservative site, when you're perfectly aware of what difference it could make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 PM
 
376 posts, read 612,862 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Little Italy" has dwindled to a pittance of what it once was.


It's not a matter of only marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool, it's clinging to this notion that your ancestral gene pool is so imporatant you feel the need to hyphenate your nationality indicator, when the rest of the world just looks at you like any other American.
So what you are saying could be the reason as to why an American couple, one being “black” and the other “white”, generate stares as they walk together hand in hand in public in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Little Italy" has dwindled to a pittance of what it once was.
Very much so; most Americans of Italian heritage today tend to marry anything but.

Quote:
It's not a matter of only marrying someone from your ancestral gene pool, it's clinging to this notion that your ancestral gene pool is so imporatant you feel the need to hyphenate your nationality indicator, when the rest of the world just looks at you like any other American.
Many of us joke of being 'Irish, French, German, etc' with other Americans-----to outsiders we are all a bunch of 'Goddam' Yankees!

Quote:
Arnold Swarzenegger is an Austrian-American. I can accept that. If he had kids? Ehhhh... probably not going to ever get me to say they're "Austrian Americans."
Heck; his three children are part of the Kennedy clan courtesy of Maria Shriver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
So what you are saying could be the reason as to why an American couple, one being “black” and the other “white”, generate stares as they walk together hand in hand in public in the U.S.?
That is changing in all fairness.

Not so terribly long ago; it was scandalous for a swarthy 'Sicilian' to be seen with an 'Irish' redhead--------today; we all just chuckle and comment on how attractive their children are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:18 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,226,753 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
....factual? Candidates make all kinds of 'statements', if you cherry pick the right statements, even candidates can be made to 'sound' like they are conservative or liberal.

You want something to back up the statements, you look at their actions, their votes on issues, ....their statements, their rhetoric, rarely comes even close to matching their actions.

Same with 'data', if you're not seeing data from opposing views, data can be manipulated.

Of course you know all this, .....right....,

...but then you still ask what difference it could make if it's a conservative site, when you're perfectly aware of what difference it could make.
Blah, blah, blah, blah. Wake me up when you are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM
 
3,760 posts, read 5,117,975 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah. Wake me up when you are done.
So you really can't see any validity to anything the poster is saying? Then I don't know what to say. It's so obvious that when you pick and choose anyone's quotes you can make them look however you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 AM
 
1,252 posts, read 729,540 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah. Wake me up when you are done.

Time to wake up........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,226,753 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
So you really can't see any validity to anything the poster is saying? Then I don't know what to say. It's so obvious that when you pick and choose anyone's quotes you can make them look however you like.
No, I don't.

There are links to the entire article in which candidates comment on their stance on immigration issues. It's the whole article. Not bits and pieces of what someones said. That's pretty hard to put a spin on that. Besides, it's basically a yes or no answer unless a candidate is pandering to whomever they are speaking to at the moment. For example, you are either for enforcement or your for amnesty. How much of a spin can be made on that? The American people aren't dumb. They want yes or no answers on illegal immigration.

Sure it's a conservative site. Because it is against illegal immigration which is where conservatives stand on the issue. It does not hide that fact and it updates the site to reflect changes in the candidates stance. It's far more fair then most of our liberal media which doesn't make such disclaimers and does cherry pick words here and there from candidates statements in an attempt to discredit them if they don't like them.

For those that are pro illegal simply change the overall marks as follows:

Abysmal = Excellent for you
Bad = Good for you
Fair = Fair for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
 
3,760 posts, read 5,117,975 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
No, I don't.

There are links to the entire article in which candidates comment on their stance on immigration issues. It's the whole article. Not bits and pieces of what someones said. That's pretty hard to put a spin on that. Besides, it's basically a yes or no answer unless a candidate is pandering to whomever they are speaking to at the moment. For example, you are either for enforcement or your for amnesty. How much of a spin can be made on that? The American people aren't dumb. They want yes or no answers on illegal immigration.

Sure it's a conservative site. Because it is against illegal immigration which is where conservatives stand on the issue. It does not hide that fact and it updates the site to reflect changes in the candidates stance. It's far more fair then most of our liberal media which doesn't make such disclaimers and does cherry pick words here and there from candidates statements in an attempt to discredit them if they don't like them.

For those that are pro illegal simply change the overall marks as follows:

Abysmal = Excellent for you
Bad = Good for you
Fair = Fair for you
I think the key word is that there are links to the entire articles. I'm tempted to say that the people who created and who update the site are hoping that people won't take the time to do any more research, that they'll go on the quotes they have provided. That doesn't mean they don't give you access to accurate information, but it's how cleverly it's done, I guess. I haven't seen where the so-called "liberal media" does any worse than this, to be honest. I haven't many news sources that I trust either way. I have been reading BBC (on the assumption that it isn't biased like American sources) but I've noticed some conservatism here and there on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top