Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At the moment, [Mario Hernandez] exists in immigration limbo — not fully legal or illegal. After he attended an immigration interview in March, his request for citizenship was denied.

He even voted and held jobs specifically for U.S. citizens. Typical sob story that he was brought here as a child, and the United States "is the only country he knows" (he'll probably say that the doesn't know Spanish too). Blame his parents, they never filed any paperwork for him.

Tell him his President is now Fidel, not Obama...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM

741 posts, read 762,502 times
Do you have a link to the report? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Do you have a link to the report? Thanks.
As many of my posts, click on the quote (if you hover your mouse pointer over the top of it, you should see that it is a link)...

EDIT: My method broke here, the link is to the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/us...a-citizen.html

There should be no gray areas, it's either all or nothing...

Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
After reading the link there are a lot of unanswered questions. How was he able to join the Army, get jobs, vote and all sorts of things that require proof of citizenship or legal residency? What kind of papers did he present to do all of those things? As the article states government inefficiency was also at play here.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
After reading the link there are a lot of unanswered questions. How was he able to join the Army, get jobs, vote and all sorts of things that require proof of citizenship or legal residency? What kind of papers did he present to do all of those things?...
Questioning implies hesitation, as if there would be any extenuating factors that are different from thousands of other cases where they whine that "this is the only country I know". He's too old for any DACA amnesty, and remember there can't be redeeming factors for him to return legally. U.S citizens (not just Legal Permanent Residents) were slighted out of the jobs he held, and he illegally voted, which is a lifetime ban from the United States with no possible chance of a waiver. And he thinks he is entitled to U.S. citizenship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
...As the article states government inefficiency was also at play here.
Just blame it on his PARENTS (who didn't try to fix THEIR country instead of FLEEING it), they failed to file the required paperwork after bringing him in to take advantage of the American system (ALL without proper sponsorship). IF the government would have done its job, those verification programs would have been able to cast him before he was able to serve this fine country for his own motives (Sheesh, he would have probably been like the other 'Raza', and sided with his brethren if something had broke out with Cuba). Speaking of that, we have enough Hispanics immigrating, he needs to get at the END of the LINE for those that are immigrating LEGALLY.

Anyone that says any different is suggesting a double-standard...

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
I'm really surprised the Army didn't catch that.
And the Justice Dept is a Federal Agency who should have also demanded proof of citizenship.

I joined the US Coast Guard and had to provide a pile of paperwork, even more so because my father was born in Ireland so I had to get all of his citizenship papers to them as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,867,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm really surprised the Army didn't catch that.
And the Justice Dept is a Federal Agency who should have also demanded proof of citizenship.

I joined the US Coast Guard and had to provide a pile of paperwork, even more so because my father was born in Ireland so I had to get all of his citizenship papers to them as well.
That's weird you needed your dad's papers for you to join since you're a native American like as in born here.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 PM

This guy held jobs specifically for U.S. citizens for decades, illegally voted his whole life as an adult, and didn't meet the qualifications to serve in our fine military, but no one is saying much about him, even with his immigration lawyer saying he is entitled to U.S. citizenship?...

What a double standard existing around here...

Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 AM

19,788 posts, read 12,040,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Tell him his President is now Fidel, not Obama...
Did you mean Raul?

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
This article shows how extremely lax the system is here -- how non-citizens are voting in our elections, given unrestricted social security numbers and the whole bit.

Is there any country more lax than the USA? Citizenship has been made meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration