U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Growing numbers of Guatemalan and Mexican immigrants are marrying and having U.S.-born children, creating mixed Latino families with ties to three countries at once.

These new inter-Latin American families are also less likely to return to their home countries, their children tend to integrate into American society faster and more are converting from Catholicism to evangelical Christianity, immigration experts and community leaders say.
Arizona Republc article (broken link)

Very interesting article. Maybe some of not most are illegals but still.

Unless it is due to the above people being more accepting of change and assimilation in general.

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 12-12-2007 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 AM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Maybe some of not most are illegals but still.

What does that sentence mean?

Not once in the article do they even mention the word illegal.

Slow news day? Couldn't find a news story that had 'illegal' in the article, so you just threw it out there?

Should I ask for a source so you can prove that?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
A cursory glance at the sentence would reveal he most likely meant to say, "Maybe some if not most are illegal."

Typos happen.

Sometimes you don't *need* sources to make presumptions. Given that there is only a fixed amount of persons from Mexico and Guatemala let in "legally" each year, and given that their representation in America exceeds the amount that would be here if everyone was legal, it is safe to assume that at least SOME are illegal.

Not too many "Guatemalan tourists" walking around.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post

Not once in the article do they even mention the word illegal.

Slow news day? Couldn't find a news story that had 'illegal' in the article, so you just threw it out there?

Should I ask for a source so you can prove that?
Yes: I did throw the word 'illegal' in there------------the Arizona Republic is known for being pro illegal immigration.

You certainly like to voice your opinions-------------I have that same right!

'nuff said!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,294,821 times
remember that this is the immigration forum, not just illegal immigration forum

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 AM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes: I did throw the word 'illegal' in there------------the Arizona Republic is known for being pro illegal immigration.
Oh, I see, you were just helping make your source more credible, eh? ....

Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Guatemalans, Mexicans blending as families

Yes criminals on the lam tend to bond. I am glad the Mexicans are treating the Guatemalans better in the USA than they do in Mexico.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Many years ago, I worked with two brothers-in law. One was from Guatemala, and one was from Cuba. They were married to two sisters from Mexico. Though all were legal, the Guatemalan called his brother-in-law "mojado del agua salada", ('saltwater w*tback) as a friendly 'put-down'. Nice guys, lots of fun to work with....

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Yes criminals on the lam tend to bond. I am glad the Mexicans are treating the Guatemalans better in the USA than they do in Mexico.

LOL!!!! "Criminals on the lam tend to bond". Technically they did not commit a violent felony by coming here.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

If Mexican and Guatemalan illegals are "criminals on the lam", would that make Basque illegals "criminals on the lamb"? (This is mostly relevant to Idaho and Nevada, I suppose).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or