U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 PM

741 posts, read 615,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
... we have no need for H1-B visa workers. .
Well .. there are many businesses in America that disagree with you.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 AM

11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Well .. there are many businesses in America that disagree with you.
We've been through this with you. So, once again---Of course they disagree because they are liars. They know darn well that there is no shortage of tech workers. Thus, they want more H1-Bs because they are easier to exploit. Pay them a mere pittance, have them work in sweatshop conditions and keep them productive by dangling a green card in front of them.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 AM

31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
R-E-A-D the proposals. I'll suggest you haven't taken the time do to do so.
I have read a summary of them. It is amnesty not reform in regards to illegal aliens. Besides, just like Reagan was double crossed with the amnesty he signed the borders wouldn't be secured once again. Most politicians are good at making promises but not keeping them.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 AM

741 posts, read 615,314 times
Quote:
Thus, they want more H1-Bs because they are easier to exploit. Pay them a mere pittance, have them work in sweatshop conditions and keep them productive by dangling a green card in front of them.
I sense you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
The regulations define a "specialty occupation" as requiring theoretical and
practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of
human endeavor including but not limited to biotechnology, chemistry, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, law,
accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts, and requiring the
attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum (with the
exception of fashion models, who must be "of distinguished merit and
ability"). Likewise, the foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
and state licensure, if required to practice in that field. H-1B
work-authorization is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa

Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Of course I know that computer programmers are skilled labor. I am the director / liquidity provider of an application development company.

However, I will tell you right now that most programmers and developers are over paid. And I am not talking about the ones who work in major companies like Google, but the ones in Washington, D.C. that work for defense contractors.

I was talking to my business partner a few weeks ago about a decision he made to contract a programmer in Boston and pay him $50/hr. I was shocked about the price, but I thought "oh well, as long as it's good work." When we received the code, it was made terribly and a close majority of the core looked plagiarized.

I have previously employed/contracted coders and programmers (not developers) from India which I found on a forum willing to work for $7.50 a day, which worked out at $0.67/hr. I found that the work they produced was of high quality, and that their vocabulary and writing skills were better than most Americans, however they were under 18 at the time, so even if we did abolish minimum wage and the need for working visas in the high-technology industry, we would still need to abolish child labor laws which would be very, very difficult to do.
If you are getting bad code then you need better HR reps for hiring. Your 7 dollar a day programmer won't work for that if they live here. They would laugh and possibly spit on you.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,716,039 times
Looks like H1bs get paid pretty well.

Top 100 H1-B Sponsors « GCSC: Global Career Strategy Center

Old 05-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I sense you have no idea what you're talking about.

Source: H-1B visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I sense that you don't get it.

The H1-B visa has been abused countless times. People have been caught using it to hire 7-11 clerks. Also, companies have been known to dump their American workers and replace them with H1-Bs.

My husband works in IT. So, yes, I know what I'm talking about. He and his peers have lots of stories to tell. H1-Bs are NOT the best and brightest. At best, they are mediocre. At worst, they are downright incompetent. Not to mention that many Indians who have come here on H1-B visas and eventually get a green card then have jobs where they do the hiring. And guess what? They blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

So, once again---There is no need for more H1-Bs---not when there are thousands of American citizen STEM/IT workers who are unemployed.

Do some research on this topic.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Looks like H1bs get paid pretty well.

Top 100 H1-B Sponsors GCSC: Global Career Strategy Center
Theoretically, H1-Bs are supposed to be paid what Americans get paid. The reality is very different. Stories abound about H1-Bs living in overcrowded flophouses because they can't afford anything else. The whole point of companies pushing for more H1-Bs is so that they can get away with paying them less. There are lots of tricks they use. For example, post a job opening for a senior position but at a junior level salary. Of course, experienced Americans won't want it. That way, the company can say that they tried to get an American but none applied---surprise! surprise! So...they get an H1-B to do senior work at junior pay level.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 PM

31,389 posts, read 18,427,441 times
Quote:
And I sense that you don't get it.

The H1-B visa has been abused countless times. People have been caught using it to hire 7-11 clerks. Also, companies have been known to dump their American workers and replace them with H1-Bs.

My husband works in IT. So, yes, I know what I'm talking about. He and his peers have lots of stories to tell. H1-Bs are NOT the best and brightest. At best, they are mediocre. At worst, they are downright incompetent. Not to mention that many Indians who have come here on H1-B visas and eventually get a green card then have jobs where they do the hiring. And guess what? They blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

So, once again---There is no need for more H1-Bs---not when there are thousands of American citizen STEM/IT workers who are unemployed.

Do some research on this topic.
I agree with you 100%.

My ex boyfriend is a very talented software engineer works for a fortune 500 company. His whole team has been replaced by Indians. Everybody knows H-1B Visas Are Screwing Tech professionals. America's tech companies have long depended on foreign-born workers.

My ex was born in San Francisco bay area. He had an engineer degree from IVY league university and had over 15 years of experiences. I am in my 20s, but he is in his late 30s. He doesn't like to play politics, that is why he is still a senior software engineer, not a program manager. His whole team has been replaced by Indians. I heard he is currently looking for another job.

I don't get it. Why talented professionals like my ex has to look for another job, and his company is still hiring H-1b workers.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM

Great post, lilyflower!

In the "Work and Employment" forum here on CD, someone recently posted a link to a dice.com article about this very issue. One post in the dice.com article comment section was very telling. A poster said that he was sending his resume to many places. He is an army veteran and an experienced IT worker. He got no responses. Then he tried an experiment---he put an Indian name on his resume and only changed one thing---instead of serving in the US army, he put that he served in the Indian army. All of a sudden lots of people were interested in hiring him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration