U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:39 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,237,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Not illegal immigration, and now it isn't usually immigration at all: Companies link to India by VOIP, your Cisco or Juniper router tech support call gets forwarded to Mumbai. The way I hear, there are entire communities on American hours, sleep during the day, on the job at night.
Yup, that's true. If I answer the phone when it's a U.S. number calling, I can usually tell right away if the caller is actually in the U.S. I can't explain it, it's just a split-second 'AHA' realization that the number is fake and that the person calling me is in India. Then a beat later, I hear a monotone voice rapidly mangling my name in a thick accent. That's when I hang up the phone. I refuse to work with sweatshop recruiters.

I also refuse to deal with overseas tech support. They're front-liners and they never know anything. I firmly harangue them until they escalate me back to a U.S. call center to someone who can actually do something not from a script. I'm not ugly to them, I just say "Look; I already know what you're going to say, I wouldn't have picked up the phone if front-line tech support could help me, I'm quite capable of Googling the obvious stuff. Escalate me immediately." If they protest, I repeat the line until they do what I say. Back in the day, front-line tech support actually knew stuff. Now it's just Sanjay and Kumar reading a script in Bangalore. I can practically hear the cows blocking traffic.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:28 AM

11,573 posts, read 5,543,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup, that's true. If I answer the phone when it's a U.S. number calling, I can usually tell right away if the caller is actually in the U.S. I can't explain it, it's just a split-second 'AHA' realization that the number is fake and that the person calling me is in India. Then a beat later, I hear a monotone voice rapidly mangling my name in a thick accent. That's when I hang up the phone. I refuse to work with sweatshop recruiters.

I also refuse to deal with overseas tech support. They're front-liners and they never know anything. I firmly harangue them until they escalate me back to a U.S. call center to someone who can actually do something not from a script. I'm not ugly to them, I just say "Look; I already know what you're going to say, I wouldn't have picked up the phone if front-line tech support could help me, I'm quite capable of Googling the obvious stuff. Escalate me immediately." If they protest, I repeat the line until they do what I say. Back in the day, front-line tech support actually knew stuff. Now it's just Sanjay and Kumar reading a script in Bangalore. I can practically hear the cows blocking traffic.
Good for you for speaking up, BigD!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 AM

31,805 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Isn't that what every right-winger in America cares about? What's good for the company and boss is good for all of us? I see it everyday on this forum, how Obama is killing profits and such, now you are against companies making a profit in any way that they can?
So there are no Democrat business owners wanting to make a profit also? It's not just a right wing thing. Yes, I am opposed to any business owners making a profit off of illegal alien labor. It's against the law and reduces job opportunities for Americans. You don't agree?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:38 AM

474 posts, read 475,953 times
Quote:
Isn't that what every right-winger in America cares about? What's good for the company and boss is good for all of us? I see it everyday on this forum, how Obama is killing profits and such, now you are against companies making a profit in any way that they can?
It is leftist big wigs pushing this the hardest, especially in technology. Zuckerberg, Gates.

Cheap indentured labor means higher profits. The leftists in tech are the biggest promoters of the destruction of American STEM workers.

The Myth of the Science and Engineering Shortage - Michael S. Teitelbaum - The Atlantic

Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,164,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So there are no Democrat business owners wanting to make a profit also? It's not just a right wing thing. Yes, I am opposed to any business owners making a profit off of illegal alien labor. It's against the law and reduces job opportunities for Americans. You don't agree?
Let's use my previous Libertarian beliefs as an example for the sake of argument (this is also what the Libertarian Party believes). As almost everyone has forgotten, I used to be a Ron Paul supporter and did vote for the Libertarian Party in state and local elections. Part of the core Libertarian belief structure is that business should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to achieve maximum profit, including using foreign labor. Why should I, as a business owner, employ more expensive American labor if I can employ foreigners willing to work for less money, in a free market? It's violating my right as a business owner to run my business as how I see fit. Government regulations are strangling me but not enabling me to use more ways to better compete with my competitors.

By the way, what I said is one of the party platforms of the Libertarian Party, and the CATO Institute which believes we should actually have no immigration controls at all, because business should be able to seek the lowest cost labor they can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
It is leftist big wigs pushing this the hardest, especially in technology. Zuckerberg, Gates.

Cheap indentured labor means higher profits. The leftists in tech are the biggest promoters of the destruction of American STEM workers.

The Myth of the Science and Engineering Shortage - Michael S. Teitelbaum - The Atlantic
Actually, this is what the Libertarian Party and the Koch run CATO Institute and their influence in the Cambers of Commerce are pushing for. Invariably, the Democratic Party has been influenced by this as well, but this is the Libertarian position. So, it is actually incorrect blaming this on "liberals" when the Libertarians are the loudest, quietest voices pushin for these type of non-regulations. Maybe you should get your own house in order before blaming others

Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 AM

31,805 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Quote:
Let's use my previous Libertarian beliefs as an example for the sake of argument (this is also what the Libertarian Party believes). As almost everyone has forgotten, I used to be a Ron Paul supporter and did vote for the Libertarian Party in state and local elections. Part of the core Libertarian belief structure is that business should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to achieve maximum profit, including using foreign labor. Why should I, as a business owner, employ more expensive American labor if I can employ foreigners willing to work for less money, in a free market? It's violating my right as a business owner to run my business as how I see fit. Government regulations are strangling me but not enabling me to use more ways to better compete with my competitors.

By the way, what I said is one of the party platforms of the Libertarian Party, and the CATO Institute which believes we should actually have no immigration controls at all, because business should be able to seek the lowest cost labor they can find.

Actually, this is what the Libertarian Party and the Koch run CATO Institute and their influence in the Cambers of Commerce are pushing for. Invariably, the Democratic Party has been influenced by this as well, but this is the Libertarian position. So, it is actually incorrect blaming this on "liberals" when the Libertarians are the loudest, quietest voices pushin for these type of non-regulations. Maybe you should get your own house in order before blaming others
So in other words you don't believe in having immigration laws? Businesses hiring legal immigrants is one thing but hiring those unauthorized to reside or work here is quite another. Do you understand the ramifications of not having immigration laws and how many foreigners would flood our country for jobs while keeping wages low. Do you understand that would put millions in competition against Americans for jobs? Or don't you care? Do you advocate for us to be a slave labor country with a race to the bottom to become a third world of the poor vs the rich? How are Americans supposed to support "their" families? It sounds like all you care about are your own profits but no concern at all for your fellow Americans and what unlimited migration would do to this country overall. Isn't that being anti-American and self-centered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration