U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Kinda obvious really. They are here illegally and they are hiding. Those that are found are supposed to be deported. So it's insanely obvious that any estimate could be way off the mark.

We honestly have no clue how many there are. Could be 3 million or 100 million. Nobody actually knows for certain. Of course, the bigger true number, the more impossible it becomes to find and deport all illegals. So if the article is right, it actually makes a stronger case for some kind of pathway to citizenship. It also debunks the theory that a massive influx of immigrants will destroy America. If there are 70 million illegals here and we have not been destroyed by it, then that should tell you how idiotic quotas and numerical limits on immigration really are.
Regardless of the true numbers here illegally they are destroying our economy by taking American jobs and depleting our tax coffers to subsidize their social costs. Our natural resources are being depleted by the unaccounted for and unplanned for uncontrolled population growth by them. There are many fiscal deficits going on in the state and federal levels due to illegal immigration. So yes, they are destroying our country. Quotas aren't idiotic. They are in place for very good reasons. There are 2 billion impoverished foreigners who would come here if we had no quotas on legal immigration. Think man.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM

11,575 posts, read 5,555,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Kinda obvious really. They are here illegally and they are hiding. Those that are found are supposed to be deported. So it's insanely obvious that any estimate could be way off the mark.

We honestly have no clue how many there are. Could be 3 million or 100 million. Nobody actually knows for certain. Of course, the bigger true number, the more impossible it becomes to find and deport all illegals. So if the article is right, it actually makes a stronger case for some kind of pathway to citizenship. It also debunks the theory that a massive influx of immigrants will destroy America. If there are 70 million illegals here and we have not been destroyed by it, then that should tell you how idiotic quotas and numerical limits on immigration really are.

As for a "pathway to citizenship" for illegal aliens---absolutely not!

Amnestying illegal aliens is a slap in the face to legal immigrants---you know, the people who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here, with some waiting years in refugee camps. Do you think that legal immigrants are chumps for obeying our immigration laws? Do you think that they should have come here illegally and demanded amnesty?

Where do you live? The reason I ask is you remarked "we have not been destroyed by [illegal aliens]".

I can tell you this---many communities have been destroyed already by illegal aliens. Unless you are an elitist living in a gated community or an expensive doorman building, your community could well be next.

My community, back in the late 80s had some legal immigrant families. It was mostly a blue and white collar community. We had good schools and involved parents. Like everywhere you go, there was some crime but nothing very serious. It was safe to go out at night, even though streetlights are scarce.

About 15 years ago, that began to change. As long time residents moved out, illegal aliens moved in. Homes turned into flophouses with 20-30 people in them. We started seeing MS-13 graffiti. Then we had a few drive-by shootings. I don't dare go out alone at night anymore.

The elementary school our daughter went to in the early to mid-90s was a good school with good test scores. Today, that school can not get full accreditation---and that's sad. The dance school our daughter went to is now a huge laundromat. When people live 20-30 to a flophouse, 1 washer and 1 dryer per house just isn't enough.

My story isn't unique either. This is happening all over the country.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM

11,575 posts, read 5,555,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Really? Is that the motivation for your anger so often expressed on the topic of illegals? They've caused your wages to be reduced? I could understand you better, if that were the case. But, actually, I think you're making things up again. I'm willing to be educated on the topic, though ... if you can provide a link to a credible source.
Longford---I gather that you are old enough to remember that meatpacking jobs once paid good enough wages to propel their workers into the lower middle class. These plants also offered good benefits and safe working conditions. It was common to find 3 generations of a family working side-by-side.

Today, due to illegal immigration, wages have dropped. If there are benefits offered, they are not good. Often working conditions are poor. Do some research. Take a look at the towns where these plants are. At one time, families were living one family to a modest home. Today, that is not the case.

Some years back, a poultry processing plant in GA got raided. It was discovered that the illegal aliens were paid so poorly that after the raid, the plant discovered that in order to hire and keep Americans, they had to offer a higher hourly wage than the local Walmart.

Illegal aliens do indeed depress wages for skilled and unskilled work. Why do you think that employers who refuse to use E-verify love illegals? They are cheap and exploitable labor. They take lower pay and don't care if they have benefits or safe working conditions.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
In the Southwest in places like Las Vegas the entire residential construction industry trade is now Hispanic. The more senior are virtually all citizens or legal. But the workers are highly mixed and freely interchanged. Nobody but the job boss on site knows who is or who is not illegal and he may not know. The contractors tend to be Caucasians primarily...though virtually all speak fluent Spanish. And even some of the rather large specialty operations like heavy concrete is also virtually completely Hispanic at the first level supervisor and below.

The strip is union and has little Hispanic participation though that is changing at the lower levels.

These folk don't work for minimum wage. They don't get union scale either but someplace in between.

And they can remain about as illegal alien as they choose to.

The local cleaning services are similar as are the landscapers and virtually all the services in the Hispanic neighborhoods.

The fact is that we have a huge Hispanic economy that is completely self sustaining and will not give up the illegals to anything short of all out war by the government. And even then it is not clear the government would prevail.
Keep illegal aliens ILLEGAL and ANY run ins with the cops like no ID: haul them in and use something like E verify. Many illegals WILL start leaving on the spot once they know they're in real trouble if "ratted out".

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
...it CAN happen since the Dominican Republic did just that with people of Haitian family even tho going back to 1929 is wrong IMHO. Too; more and more countries are stopping birthright for the kids of non citizens.
I don't care what policies are put in place by other countries, they are not the United States. To talk of stripping U.S. citizenship from children without due process is un-American. You are reducing the value of U.S. citizenship, they are not.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I don't care what policies are put in place by other countries, they are not the United States. To talk of stripping U.S. citizenship from children without due process is un-American. You are reducing the value of U.S. citizenship, they are not.
Just remember it CAN happen, at least to US born anchor kids under 18 years old.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
It certainly reduces the value of birthright citizenship not to have the 14th re-visited and clarified as to the writer's intent.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Just remember it CAN happen, at least to US born anchor kids under 18 years old.
Now you're grasping at straws, to be "denaturalized" (involuntarily) of U.S. citizenship, one has to have been naturalized: List of denaturalized former citizens of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (most were former Nazis)...

EDIT: Notice in U.S. Code (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/8/12/III/III/1481), it is defined as actions against an individual, when it is stipulated the person must be over the age of 18...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It certainly reduces the value of birthright citizenship not to have the 14th re-visited and clarified as to the writer's intent.
Would the closer intent in your determination be as it was ratified by the states, or as it was written? Legislation always picks the former as more important. The Supreme Court has to have an actual case presented, they cannot (by law) arbitrarily change how the Constitution and U.S. Code has operated during almost 150 years.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 AM

914 posts, read 739,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm sure it's far higher than 12 million but 60-70 million is not plausible to me. I'd believe 30 million.
I'm like you I believe it's 30 million but I think it's 60-70 million if the illegal alien offspring are included.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM

23,627 posts, read 31,274,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
I'm like you I believe it's 30 million but I think it's 60-70 million if the illegal alien offspring are included.
Possibly...though I honestly have no idea. I'm sure it's far higher than the 12 million that the government constantly refers to. I live in an area with a very large illegal population (Dallas-Fort Worth) and they're everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or