U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 PM

741 posts, read 615,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Assuming what you say is even partially accurate, which is certainly debatable. Why would we seek to reward illegal behavior? I can find instances where murderers did a good deed, that doesn't change the fact that they were a murderer.

If an illegal enlisted then he committed document fraud to do so. This indicates a continued willingness to be a criminal. It's been illegal for the military to recruit illegals for many years.
Clearly, you haven't taken the time to inform yourself about the topic of the discussion: children who were brought to the USA by their parents. And to toss murderers into the discussion with the children ... is .... sick, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Clearly, you haven't taken the time to inform yourself about the topic of the discussion: children who were brought to the USA by their parents. And to toss murderers into the discussion with the children ... is .... sick, IMO.
The topic is allowing illegals to serve in order to obtain a green card.
We are not talking about children. Children are not of age to serve. Your faux outrage is a joke.
My point is valid.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM

741 posts, read 615,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The topic is allowing illegals to serve in order to obtain a green card.
We are not talking about children. Children are not of age to serve. Your faux outrage is a joke.
My point is valid.
Here's what I'm referring to ... in the article which starts-off this discussion ... a GOP Congressman's proposal ... "to allow undocumented immigrants who came to the country as children to serve in the military."

As for adults who entered the USA illegally, under their own volition ... and who may now want to serve in the military if they're offered a path to citizenship ... that's a different issue. In those instances, and considering that we're not at a time of war as a nation ... I don't see why I'd support giving them the opportunity to serve at this time. My comments are meant to address the issue of children brought to the USA by their parents and who have been raised in the USA, the only country they know and for which they are prepared to put their lives on the line.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM

31,519 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
In defense of tinman and what should have been obvious is that he was just creating an analogy. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. So no, it wasn't "sick".

Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Here's what I'm referring to ... in the article which starts-off this discussion ... a GOP Congressman's proposal ... "to allow undocumented immigrants who came to the country as children to serve in the military."

As for adults who entered the USA illegally, under their own volition ... and who may now want to serve in the military if they're offered a path to citizenship ... that's a different issue. In those instances, and considering that we're not at a time of war as a nation ... I don't see why I'd support giving them the opportunity to serve at this time. My comments are meant to address the issue of children brought to the USA by their parents and who have been raised in the USA, the only country they know and for which they are prepared to put their lives on the line.
The fact remains that we have absolutely no need to recruit illegals. We had no need throughout fighting 2 separate wars at the same time. What is debatable is the reason an illegal would want to serve. Is it to defend this nation or is it to obtain legal stays? What is their first loyalty? Second loyalty or even third?
You say that they love this country as a Native would. Yet have you seen the demonstration marches conducted by these same people you seem to value? Anti-American rhetoric, flying the Mexican flag etc.
No sir I do not assume that they serve for love of country. I assume they serve for love of the green card.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times
Quote:
There's already a discussion started ... on the same topic.

The proposal is to change the law/regulations to allow of-age persons to volunteer to serve and protect the USA and to put their lives on the line, persons who were minor children at the time they were, without choice, brought to the USA by their parents.
link please. Thx.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:18 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,119,825 times
I have mixed views on this, I would take it a step further and put them all in segregated units with American officers and senior NCOs so we can avoid having to sacrifice large numbers of American boys and girls. You know, like the French Foreign Legion.

On the other hand what happens if they should mutiny or desert like the FFL's 1REP did during the 1961 Algiers Putsch? By and large though the Legion has served France well and I don't see why we could not have a similar force serving with the offer of US citizenship at the end of their enlistment dangling like carrot.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 PM

31,519 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I have mixed views on this, I would take it a step further and put them all in segregated units with American officers and senior NCOs so we can avoid having to sacrifice large numbers of American boys and girls. You know, like the French Foreign Legion.

On the other hand what happens if they should mutiny or desert like the FFL's 1REP did during the 1961 Algiers Putsch? By and large though the Legion has served France well and I don't see why we could not have a similar force serving with the offer of US citizenship at the end of their enlistment dangling like carrot.
In other words mercenaries. No thanks, there is no loyalty there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or