U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's one thing to be obligated to educate kids living in the U.S. illegally but this is totally ridiculous to allow these kids who are Mexican citizens and live in Mexico to be educated in our country at our taxpayer expense with free breakfast no less. WTH is that all about? Have our state and federal governments gone mad?
Worried about paying for breakfast ?

Many of these cities have to pass million dollar bonds because they need more schools.
And the residents are not happy about that.

1200 a day at one crossing. And there's no official count anywhere on the totals..well not publicized anyways.

And when poor test scores crop up in posts about education in the US I can only shake my head when everyone points to the border states as having poor curriculum and not spending enough money.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM

31,499 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Worried about paying for breakfast ?

Many of these cities have to pass million dollar bonds because they need more schools.
And the residents are not happy about that.

1200 a day at one crossing. And there's no official count anywhere on the totals..well not publicized anyways.

And when poor test scores crop up in posts about education in the US I can only shake my head when everyone points to the border states as having poor curriculum and not spending enough money.
Seems like the American people should be able to file a class action lawsuit against those who are allowing this and thereby raping out tax coffers to educate foreigners coming across our border who neither reside here nor are citizens or legal immigrants of our country. Probably not possible but something needs to be done to put a stop to this.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Seems like the American people should be able to file a class action lawsuit against those who are allowing this and thereby raping out tax coffers to educate foreigners coming across our border who neither reside here nor are citizens or legal immigrants of our country. Probably not possible but something needs to be done to put a stop to this.
The kids are US citizens. They can show proof of residency as well.

And Arne Duncan has visited these border schools firsthand so he knows what's going on.
"Unique" is all he had to say.

You think the USG doesn't know how many are crossing the border each day to go to school here in the US ?
Probably one of the best kept secrets that only hits the local press every blue moon.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Can Mexican citizens (or others, although I'm not sure it would be very likely) cross into the United States for non-illegal immigration reasons, i.e. to visit family or something?
Very easily. They can buy inexpensive border crossing cards (aka laser visas, aka shopping passes) and come to visit, shop, use the schools, use the free hospitals.

The problem is -- many of these become the "visa overstays". Nothing stops them from heading to whatever city or town they like, and there is nothing to stop them from staying forever if they please.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
They most certainly can do so! Some Mexican residents drive into US border cities for the purpose of shopping and go back home at the end of the day.
Yes, some do go home and honor the terms of the visa -- but many do not. There needs to be a whole lot more done about those who ignore the terms of that visa and decide instead not to return home.

They should be deported, and never allowed to get another visa.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Palomas is just one example of what is happening in border states.
It's not just Palomas/Deming.

Mexican children cross border to go to school - Houston Chronicle
In El Paso, the Mexico-to-United-States trek to school is so commonplace that border officials opened a special lane just for students at one of the crossings this month. More than 1,200 passed through that lane from Mexico on a recent morning. Some are college or private school students, but many, including Rachel, attend public schools.
"Lane" sounds like a vehicle crossing, typically the Bridge of the Americas (where there isn't any tolls on the Mexican side, so it is also called the "Free Bridge") is where those experiments are done. I can't imagine how they would restrict one lane to just students (and probable drivers, which would need status to cross the bridge). In 2007 (when the article was written), one of the "students" would have been a nephew of my wife, going to UTEP (I don't know if he paid the reduced rate, but that was still money for the school).

I don't know if you noticed or not, at the end of the article, it said Rachel's family was able to move to the U.S. side (blocks from the school) within days after they were interviewed (for perspective, my kids started school in the Fall of 2007 under their K-4 visas, and didn't gain legal residency until the next year)...

My point being, where is Rachel (and her family, as a representation of Mexicans legally immigrating to the United States) now?...

Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
If it isn't happening in your local school district, you aren't part of the "class" that can participate in a lawsuit. I guess you didn't read what has been posted on the topic, the school districts along the border are typically requiring the children to be U.S. citizens. In my case, my stepchildren were on non-immigrant visa when they started school in the United States (I paid property taxes six years before they started attending).

Here we are talking about subjects that aren't illegal immigration again, I guess this forum section should be renamed the "Complain About Foreigners Area"...

Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Lane" sounds like a vehicle crossing, typically the Bridge of the Americas (where there isn't any tolls on the Mexican side, so it is also called the "Free Bridge") is where those experiments are done. I can't imagine how they would restrict one lane to just students (and probable drivers, which would need status to cross the bridge). In 2007 (when the article was written), one of the "students" would have been a nephew of my wife, going to UTEP (I don't know if he paid the reduced rate, but that was still money for the school).

I don't know if you noticed or not, at the end of the article, it said Rachel's family was able to move to the U.S. side (blocks from the school) within days after they were interviewed (for perspective, my kids started school in the Fall of 2007 under their K-4 visas, and didn't gain legal residency until the next year)...

My point being, where is Rachel (and her family, as a representation of Mexicans legally immigrating to the United States) now?...
All those kids are US citizens that are crossing.
And the "lanes" are walking lanes, not car lanes. There's even a picture in the link I posted.
Rachel happens to be lucky her parents could come to the US. The article states that 1200 a day cross at that crossing.
Many more though have parents that are Mexican citizens that will never come here.

Illegal ? No, but that's a huge financial burden for US citizens living in those cities.
They have to borrow huge amounts of money via bonds to keep building schools.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
All those kids are US citizens that are crossing.
And the "lanes" are walking lanes, not car lanes. There's even a picture in the link I posted.
Rachel happens to be lucky her parents could come to the US. The article states that 1200 a day cross at that crossing.
Many more though have parents that are Mexican citizens that will never come here.

Illegal ? No, but that's a huge financial burden for US citizens living in those cities.
They have to borrow huge amounts of money via bonds to keep building schools.
I knew of a U.S. citizen mother that brought a few of her kids over to El Paso every school day (they used her sister's address to register them) by car (because she continued on to her employment). They were waiting out a ban (on her husband) before they would be able to return to the United States. For practically all of these U.S. citizen children, I expect that they will eventually live (and have employment) within the United States.

Rachel's parents were as my family was: I'm was going to enroll my kids as fast as possible in U.S. schools, and let legal residency catch up for us later. Not that Mexican schools are bad (they are very good for vocational focus, and do things more efficiently than the United States many times). Bus transportation costs (in Mexico, parents pay to get their kids to school) are high for my district, and I am going to focus on that before talking about a child possibly getting the only proper meals of the day at school.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 PM

It doesn't matter what they're citizenship is -- they lie about their residency -- in order to attend school in a district, they are supposed to reside in that district -- be taxpayers in that district.

These border crossers tend to be very greedy types who avoid paying property taxes but want all the benefits of the property tax payers. They live where they will pay no taxes, they refuse to build up the schools on the side of the border they live on.

And it's not just the local taxpayers being hammered with these costs -- all kinds of federal dollars pour in -- Region 19 money and state dollars to help provide free lunches and nice schools for these border crossers who are often very wealthy but want to pay no taxes toward schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration