U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All those kids are US citizens that are crossing.
And the "lanes" are walking lanes, not car lanes. There's even a picture in the link I posted.
Rachel happens to be lucky her parents could come to the US. The article states that 1200 a day cross at that crossing.
Many more though have parents that are Mexican citizens that will never come here.

Illegal ? No, but that's a huge financial burden for US citizens living in those cities.
They have to borrow huge amounts of money via bonds to keep building schools.
They aren't all US citizens. The border crossing visas aren't needed by US citizens.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM

31,490 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
The kids are US citizens. They can show proof of residency as well.

And Arne Duncan has visited these border schools firsthand so he knows what's going on.
"Unique" is all he had to say.

You think the USG doesn't know how many are crossing the border each day to go to school here in the US ?
Probably one of the best kept secrets that only hits the local press every blue moon.
Didn't you read the article? It's titled "Mexican" children cross border to go to school. They aren't U.S. citizens. The child that was featured in the article said she made friends with her "American" students. At least if they are residing here illegally what taxes the parents may pay via rent, etc. would go to the school districts that these kids are residing in. And for someone who likes to twist my words in here I am still opposed to kids or adults residing in our country illegally. It's just plain wrong, wrong that these Mexican kids living on Mexican soil are allowed to attend our schools.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-25-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 03:16 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Didn't you read the article? It's titled "Mexican" children cross border to go to school. They aren't U.S. citizens. The child that was featured in the article said she made friends with her "American" students. At least if they are residing here illegally what taxes the parents may pay via rent, etc. would go to the school districts that these kids are residing in. And for someone who likes to twist my words in here I am still opposed to kids or adults residing in our country illegally. It's just plain wrong, wrong that these Mexican kids living on Mexican soil are allowed to attend our schools.
The child in the article is a US citizen. She was born in the US.
There are also a group of people that only come over here to give birth and then go back home to Mexico with their US citizen child.

When the child gets old enough for school they cross the border and go to US schools.

Go read up on this. It's putting a huge strain on many border towns that have to build new schools.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The child in the article is a US citizen. She was born in the US.
There are also a group of people that only come over here to give birth and then go back home to Mexico with their US citizen child.

When the child gets old enough for school they cross the border and go to US schools.

Go read up on this. It's putting a huge strain on many border towns that have to build new schools.
Where in the article did it say she was a U.S. citizen? If it did I missed it. Why would they be referred to as Mexican children then? Besides, I thought you had to reside within the district of the school you are attending.

I can just imagine the dollars it costs those border towns to build new schools and since these kids are residing in Mexico their parents aren't paying any taxes to the school districts that they are attending either.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where in the article did it say she was a U.S. citizen? If it did I missed it. Why would they be referred to as Mexican children then? Besides, I thought you had to reside within the district of the school you are attending.

I can just imagine the dollars it costs those border towns to build new schools and since these kids are residing in Mexico their parents aren't paying any taxes to the school districts that they are attending either.
In addition to her being a U.S. citizen, her father is also a U.S. citizen. He was able to enroll her by owning a house close to the school in El Paso (the article identified that they were able to move back in the house at the end of the article). Her mother was (possibly naturalized by now, since the article was from seven years ago) a Legal Permanent Resident that (physically) lost her Resident Card, so they had to live in Juarez until she received another one.

You know that this nullifies about the next five times that you tell someone on the forum that they have reading comprehension problems...

Old 05-25-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In addition to her being a U.S. citizen, her father is also a U.S. citizen. He was able to enroll her by owning a house close to the school in El Paso (the article identified that they were able to move back in the house at the end of the article). Her mother was (possibly naturalized by now, since the article was from seven years ago) a Legal Permanent Resident that (physically) lost her Resident Card, so they had to live in Juarez until she received another one.

You know that this nullifies about the next five times that you tell someone on the forum that they have reading comprehension problems...
No reading comprehension problem at all so it doesn't nullify anything. What happened is that there were advertisements in the middle of the page and I didn't realize that there was more to the article than I had read/seen. After reading the link again I had discovered it.

Another thing that throws you off is the title of the article, "Mexican" children. Why would they call a U.S. citizen a Mexican? Even if she has dual citizenship (which the article doesn't state) for clarity the title of the article is misleading.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-25-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,292,130 times
I'd move this thread to legal immigration as it's hardly an illegal immigration topic, but since the usual suspects started yet another round of the same nitpicking dance/fight, I'm closing it. Just like many others.
Remember that if you don't have anything constructive to add, or anything you haven't said here already a thousand times, you may actually ... oh the horror... not post. Instead of taking yet another thread in the same old stupid direction.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration