U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:27 AM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What are they doing now? The reality is there are more illegals than prisoners and, if all illegals were out of the country, there'd be plenty of work to go around.

I also think some jobs that have been offshored could be done by prisoners.
You need to understand what I am talking about. There are those who want as cheap of labor as possible. If it comes to using prisoners, people will use them. People want cheap labor. For the average hardworking person, cheap labor undermines the ability to get work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You need to understand what I am talking about. There are those who want as cheap of labor as possible. If it comes to using prisoners, people will use them. People want cheap labor. For the average hardworking person, cheap labor undermines the ability to get work.
I do understand what you're talking about. I'm just saying there are certain tasks that people will not pay anyone much to do and I'd rather those be done by prisoners than illegals. There would still be plenty of additional jobs for the law-abiding if illegals were removed from the country or driven out of the country, as there are far more low-paid illegals than there are prisoners.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:29 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
I am in favor of deporting those who come in illegally. That said, there is a problem that goes beyond illegals. People are looking for a dirt cheap, pliable source of labor. There are those who are turning to the cheapest source of labor possible. Consider this. I can't remember if it was Alabama or Georgia that did this, but when illegal immigrants started leaving, farmers were trying to make up for the labor shortage with prison labor, legal prison labor, USA citizens in prison. It is of no surprise to me that illegal immigrants in prison are being used as well. It's all about the cheap labor. If we got rid of illegal immigrants, the next step is prison labor.
Actually, it was Colorado that was doing this. And guess what? The prisoners were glad to do this. Not only were they making some money but it got them out of jail for a while each day.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:21 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
I am in favor of deporting those who come in illegally. That said, there is a problem that goes beyond illegals. People are looking for a dirt cheap, pliable source of labor. There are those who are turning to the cheapest source of labor possible. Consider this. I can't remember if it was Alabama or Georgia that did this, but when illegal immigrants started leaving, farmers were trying to make up for the labor shortage with prison labor, legal prison labor, USA citizens in prison. It is of no surprise to me that illegal immigrants in prison are being used as well. It's all about the cheap labor. If we got rid of illegal immigrants, the next step is prison labor.
But most Americans aren't willing to break our laws by hiring illegal aliens to get cheap labor. As for those farmers who cried that their crops were dying on the vines due to illegal aliens leaving their predicament is all their own fault since there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreigner farm workers and they didn't use them. They chose illegal aliens instead to increase their profits so they've only themselves to blame and I don't feel sorry for farmers/growers who cry after they break the law and can no longer get away with it.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 PM

3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
These criminals should have to earn their keep before getting deported.

They should be clearing weeds and debris along rural roads, picking up trash in the middle of the desert and on chain gangs doing hard labor.

Maybe that way they will think twice about frivolous appeals and BS asylum cases.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of having inmates work. For one work is good for people. It's actually cruel in my opinion to lock people up and give them nothing at all to do with themselves, plus it invites prison violence.

There are some jobs that are perfect for inmates. Around here they've let the jail inmates -- not violent criminals of course, pick up trash and litter from the streets. They've had the kids caught vandalizing with graffitti repaint the properties that have been vandalized with graffitti.

There are people who can't be in regular society but they can still be productive in some way.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
One of my illegal neighbors got locked up -- he was out selling marijuana and other drugs and got himself deported. He came right on back and got caught again. No one knew what happened to him because he didn't show up again like they expected -- usually when people get deported, they're back within a few days. No sign of him though.

Eventually word got out that he was locked up in some detention center -- he wasn't very happy about it either because he figured the faster they deported him, the faster he could get back over. I think it was at least 6 months they had him locked up and he was supposed to have gotten out several months ago and there's still no sign of him. Someone said they're deporting people into the interior or at points of the border far from where they entered to make it harder for them to simply wander on back -- but no one knows where this guy is -- probably he came back over the border but headed somewhere else.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 PM

741 posts, read 615,197 times
It makes sense to have the detained ... convicted or just being held awaiting disposition ... perform various work tasks.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM

769 posts, read 889,736 times
There is a HUGE wall that needs to constructed on the southern border, let the illegals build it, then deport them.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Deport them instead. Everyone wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration