U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2014, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What's so wrong about that? I think working would do most prisoners good and it would be good for them to be able to help pay for the costs of their incarceration, as well as their fines, restitution, and child support if applicable.
can't rep you cause I have to spread it around, so let's just say, you are right on!!! Anyone in prison needs to be put to work, call it cheap labor or whatever, they need to pay their way in some form or another. Of course, ideally, all illegals that break the law should be deported. I am not opposed to finding a way to solve the illegal immigration problems without trying to deport millions of people and breaking up families, i am opposed to allowing anyone, from another country that breaks the law to stay in our country.

I wonder how many countries would allow an American, who entered their country illegally and broke the law would treat that person kindly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2014, 06:00 AM
 
31,480 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
can't rep you cause I have to spread it around, so let's just say, you are right on!!! Anyone in prison needs to be put to work, call it cheap labor or whatever, they need to pay their way in some form or another. Of course, ideally, all illegals that break the law should be deported. I am not opposed to finding a way to solve the illegal immigration problems without trying to deport millions of people and breaking up families, i am opposed to allowing anyone, from another country that breaks the law to stay in our country.

I wonder how many countries would allow an American, who entered their country illegally and broke the law would treat that person kindly?
Aren't you contradicting yourself? In one sentence you said that you want to solve the illegal immigration problem without deporting millions of people and then you say you are opposed to allowing anyone from another country that breaks the law to stay in our country. I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Reputation: 18141
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But in a society where there are people who are law-abiding, who need jobs, what will they do?
The types of jobs done by prisoners in general aren't jobs that law-abiding people are standing in line for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But most Americans aren't willing to break our laws by hiring illegal aliens to get cheap labor. As for those farmers who cried that their crops were dying on the vines due to illegal aliens leaving their predicament is all their own fault since there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreigner farm workers and they didn't use them. They chose illegal aliens instead to increase their profits so they've only themselves to blame and I don't feel sorry for farmers/growers who cry after they break the law and can no longer get away with it.
I am very confused by "But most Americans aren't willing to break our laws by hiring illegal aliens to get cheap labor." because that isn't what I have seen. When our city used to have the slaughter facility here (moved to another KS town), a bus load came in from Mexico every Monday morning according to my son who lived here at that time. There was an actual story in the newspaper and when I googled it, there were others across the US of where people were upset because an illegal with a family was being deported like it was wrong. KS is dependent on the illegal population. Mention e-verify and you get hateful looks. KS doesn't want to make them legal and neither do I but we have different reasons. KS wants the cheap labor/can't afford to give social service benefits to them because of the low wages they receive (not to mention huge families) and I want the laws followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
There is a HUGE wall that needs to constructed on the southern border, let the illegals build it, then deport them.
The best idea that I have heard yet. The border MUST be secured to stop the flow. The flow increases every time they discuss amnesty or a "path" to legal citizenship. Employers must be fined and e-verify required for every paying or volunteer job in the US.

I have no problem with prisoners working and I do not think they are taking jobs from others. I do think that those on public benefits that are able should be working just like the prisoners. Tired of supporting all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 AM
 
31,480 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The types of jobs done by prisoners in general aren't jobs that law-abiding people are standing in line for.



I am very confused by "But most Americans aren't willing to break our laws by hiring illegal aliens to get cheap labor." because that isn't what I have seen. When our city used to have the slaughter facility here (moved to another KS town), a bus load came in from Mexico every Monday morning according to my son who lived here at that time. There was an actual story in the newspaper and when I googled it, there were others across the US of where people were upset because an illegal with a family was being deported like it was wrong. KS is dependent on the illegal population. Mention e-verify and you get hateful looks. KS doesn't want to make them legal and neither do I but we have different reasons. KS wants the cheap labor/can't afford to give social service benefits to them because of the low wages they receive (not to mention huge families) and I want the laws followed.



The best idea that I have heard yet. The border MUST be secured to stop the flow. The flow increases every time they discuss amnesty or a "path" to legal citizenship. Employers must be fined and e-verify required for every paying or volunteer job in the US.

I have no problem with prisoners working and I do not think they are taking jobs from others. I do think that those on public benefits that are able should be working just like the prisoners. Tired of supporting all of them.
There is no evidence that the majority of Americans hire illegal aliens just because you have some examples of them being hired in a certain state. Certainly the unemployed don't want them here. At any rate it matters not what some citizens think so they can get their cheap labor. Our laws are out laws and they aren't exempt from them. IMO, using cheap, illegal labor makes them traitors to our country. What these clueless don't understand is that their cheap labor isn't so cheap after all because they are covering their social costs via higher taxes.

As long as these prisoners are Americans I don't have a problem with them doing some work to cover the costs of their incarcerations. I'd like to know just what these jobs are that Americans supposedly won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM
 
175 posts, read 338,573 times
Reputation: 230
Default Why not make the prisoners build the prisons, road work, any HARD LABOR!

Well, maybe not the prisons... There might be a tad too many exits..!
But I am in favor of ANY hard work! Build roads, whatever is needed. Work every area in the prisons.
They already do- in minimum security prisons, where there are white collar crime, if your 'skill' is usable, ie a doctor will assist in the prison clinic, a teacher does GED classes, runs the library.
Don't get me started...I cannot afford cable tv....how many illegals have plenty of $$ for big tv, cable, a decent truck, eats name brand food, the kids have soda, snacks, grocery carts stacked with name brand foods...
That just plain pxxx me off!
Cheap labor! Yea!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 03:05 AM
 
Location: Austin
52 posts, read 67,725 times
Reputation: 36
I'm all in favor of 'for-profit prisons'...as long as judges (etc) profiting from filling those prisons is monitored and etc. Which, far as I know, has been a problem in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 AM
 
175 posts, read 338,573 times
Reputation: 230
Default Crooked judges on the bench?! Oh my!!

Texinrearvyew
I guess I was hiding my head in the sand... And did not even think a judge would be able to profit in some way by sending a large amount of people to a 'for profit' prison. Sick...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,181,377 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Deport them instead. Everyone wins.
Deporting means he or she will be back in a few weeks. I would rather get some hard labor out of them and then if we finally release them and they come back a very long prison sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top