Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,525,093 times

Advertisements

Using Jailed Migrants as a Pool of Cheap Labor - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
It would be far better to speed up the deportations of these criminals. Obama PROMISED that his amnesty wasn't going to be for criminals, only for those who committed no other crime other than their immigration crimes -- so there should be no problem deporting them.

Otherwise, they should be required to help pay for their keep.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would be far better to speed up the deportations of these criminals. Obama PROMISED that his amnesty wasn't going to be for criminals, only for those who committed no other crime other than their immigration crimes -- so there should be no problem deporting them.

Otherwise, they should be required to help pay for their keep.
absolutely....

Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,536,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
absolutely....
And if they don't help pay for their keep we are just supporting (rewarding) them for breaking our laws.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
How is this any different from other prisons where inmates work in the prison cafeteria, laundry room, or do janitorial work? Faux outrage.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
I am in favor of deporting those who come in illegally. That said, there is a problem that goes beyond illegals. People are looking for a dirt cheap, pliable source of labor. There are those who are turning to the cheapest source of labor possible. Consider this. I can't remember if it was Alabama or Georgia that did this, but when illegal immigrants started leaving, farmers were trying to make up for the labor shortage with prison labor, legal prison labor, USA citizens in prison. It is of no surprise to me that illegal immigrants in prison are being used as well. It's all about the cheap labor. If we got rid of illegal immigrants, the next step is prison labor.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am in favor of deporting those who come in illegally. That said, there is a problem that goes beyond illegals. People are looking for a dirt cheap, pliable source of labor. There are those who are turning to the cheapest source of labor possible. Consider this. I can't remember if it was Alabama or Georgia that did this, but when illegal immigrants started leaving, farmers were trying to make up for the labor shortage with prison labor, legal prison labor, USA citizens in prison. It is of no surprise to me that illegal immigrants in prison are being used as well. It's all about the cheap labor. If we got rid of illegal immigrants, the next step is prison labor.
What's so wrong about that? I think working would do most prisoners good and it would be good for them to be able to help pay for the costs of their incarceration, as well as their fines, restitution, and child support if applicable.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:16 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What's so wrong about that? I think working would do most prisoners good and it would be good for them to be able to help pay for the costs of their incarceration, as well as their fines, restitution, and child support if applicable.
Agreed.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:16 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But in a society where there are people who are law-abiding, who need jobs, what will they do?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But in a society where there are people who are law-abiding, who need jobs, what will they do?
What are they doing now? The reality is there are more illegals than prisoners and, if all illegals were out of the country, there'd be plenty of work to go around.

I also think some jobs that have been offshored could be done by prisoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration