U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 AM

1,252 posts, read 728,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
If profiling, racial or otherwise, wasn't a legitimate law enforcement tool the FBI wouldn't be hiring people to do it.
I suspect you know better than to expect anyone to take that analogy for anything but sarcasm.

The profiling the FBI performs is not racial profiling as it's defined in the laws against racial profiling.

You might just as well argue that smoking pot is legal, because smoking something else is legal.

Good luck with that, you'd lose your argument, because it's ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 AM

3,496 posts, read 8,357,905 times
Hawkeye and others that think it is a legit tool

Dept of Justice link....Read it and get back to me

It is not a tool and if proven it usually results in a firing of the officer and $$$ reward for the victim...I couldn't count how many cases that happened in the ten years I lived in L.A. The one that sticks out the most was a black council member being pulled over because he was driving a "nice car"...a Mercedes or something.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 AM

17,286 posts, read 25,011,115 times
Probable cause can trump racial profiling, or at least give any law enforcement agency "plausible deniability."

Example: Guy speaks little to no English, driving with a fake or no license... assuming the laws are such in the area that police are allowed to inquire about immigration status, that would seem like more than enough probable cause to inquire as to status.

And, since checking status is not as invasive as, say, stripping a car down to look for drugs (If I'm not mistaken, all foreign nationals are supposed to keep their green cards with them at all times), I don't see what the problem is.

Like checking little old ladies in wheelchairs for bombs the same way they check the 20 year old "foreign student" male at the airport. Makes you feel good, but everyone knows it's crap.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM

20,088 posts, read 20,582,200 times
Quote:
Why not? You can disrespect the law but others can't?
No, you've got it backwards, If all others can disrespect the law, why cant I. I dont know where your getting I disrespect the law anyway. Just because I made the comment that law enforcement is sometimes corrupt?

Quote:
Or maybe you're not a citizen?
Why in the world would you say that?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Example: Guy speaks little to no English, driving with a fake or no license... assuming the laws are such in the area that police are allowed to inquire about immigration status, that would seem like more than enough probable cause to inquire as to status.
But why did the officer pull over the man in the first place?

In your case that is not an issue because of what you stated, however, replace that man with a Prominent Hispanic Doctor who was born in the US and you will see the issue of racial profiling. And you will also see a lawsuit...

So in our case (The original topic) we have a retired teacher, he is educated and feels he was wronged...hence the lawsuit.

And nothing changes the fact that Racial Profiling is illegal and not a recommended tool. Too many gaps are left open when a police agency racially profiles.

Lawsuits are expensive, loss of trust in the community (reason why some blacks won't talk to the police...even when a murder is involved), scrutiny from the Feds, and so on...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 AM

Would anyone be opposed to the police pulling over White Teenage boys near schools because they are a higher risk to shoot up a school and kill people?

Put your teenage son in that situation...Would you be happy?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Would anyone be opposed to the police pulling over White Teenage boys near schools because they are a higher risk to shoot up a school and kill people?

I'd LOVE to see that...(my teenagers are PART white). But seriuosly, it depends on what you mean by "pull them over". If you mean, should they be made aware of an authority in society higher than themselves, I'm all for that. Gratuitous harrasment, of course, is out. But "punks", lounging around and acting like jerks--- and the cops "chat" with them now and then---Fine with me.....maybe they can even get them to pull their pants up, before the ACLU gets involved and tell them to lower them once again.

I'm pretty crusty and old-fashioned. I'm raisng grandkids. Hate me. kick me, call me names, but I think teenagers are CHILDREN. They don't have quite the entire spread of autonomous rights that adults have. I see nothing wrong with that. To some extent, adults can--and should---tell kids "what to do". We ALL know that teenagers aren't legally responsible (ever tried signing a $20.000 contract with a teenager?). Why then should they have all the 'rights' of adults?

If the cops want to pick out a few "tough guys" and give them a little "tough talk", that's fine with me. No physical abuse, of course. The "cops" also need to be monitored, too. But I see all sorts of 15-year olds with T-shirts labeled "KNOW YOUR RIGHTS".....yet I've never seen one that says "KNOW YOUR RESPONSIBILTIES". Profile Away, by all means !!!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,414,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post

White teenagers - driving a fancy SUV in a barrio - they are cruising - your a cop - would you stop them?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,414,265 times
City of Phoenix is going to re-do their "ROE" if you will - that will allow their police officers to make inquiries into the individuals immigration status -

Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 PM

20,088 posts, read 20,582,200 times
Quote:
But I see all sorts of 15-year olds with T-shirts labeled "KNOW YOUR RIGHTS".....yet I've never seen one that says "KNOW YOUR RESPONSIBILTIES". Profile Away, by all means !!!
Love that mcmeal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or