U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 70,199 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention..below statement was meant for Blue Pekoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM

206 posts, read 365,709 times
I thought personal attacks were not permitted on this board.

Apparently, someone was not thinking when he read my comments which pertained strictly toillegal aliens.

Why is it that the pro-illegal group tends to express more acrimony, less civility, and an impaired reasoning capacity?
Maybe, that's what people resort to when they are arguing from a baseless position.

Last edited by blue pekoe; 12-13-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 12:10 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,216 times
I guess every group gets "racially profiled" one time or another.

I'd love to sue somebody for "profiling" me as a young woman when sexism was standard. Just by the way I looked (being a woman), I was thought of differently in terms of skill when going for a job. Do you think they would have asked a man in those days "can you type"? And, I had a degree; I wasn't just out of H.S.

We were all always asked that - women only.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,340,555 times
Quote:
I think being in this country illegally should preclude anyone from being able to file law suits of any kind..
The person in the case is not illegal...so your point is valid, just not in the situation. This person has the right to sue.

And Greatday, for anyone to be proud of the amount of lawsuits he has is just asinine. Why in the world would Joe be proud of that?...oh wait...he is a media wh@re...

Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 PM

106 posts, read 409,165 times
I think we're tending to forget that a number of Maricopa deputies are trained by ICE to determine an individuals legal status. If this deputy was professionally trained, why couldn't he/she determine the validity of this individuals visa and paperwork? Why is it when they turned this legal individual over to federal authorities, and after being detained for some hours, they determined this individual was here legally and set him free?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 PM

206 posts, read 365,709 times
Fair enough. I had not read the article, so my comment was not addressed to this particular case. Instead, I was just making a general statement...Now, I'm off to get some work done.

Enjoy the rest of your day, everyone.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
It could be a state by state thing, but if Im not mistaken anyone can be held 24 hrs. on suspision. BooHoo!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It could be a state by state thing, but if Im not mistaken anyone can be held 24 hrs. on suspision. BooHoo!
You're mistaken.

The legal term is reasonable suspicion, you can't be held legally unless there is a reasonable cause.

All part of that protection you have called due process.

Boo Hoo? You'd like to have no due process?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The person in the case is not illegal...so your point is valid, just not in the situation. This person has the right to sue.

And Greatday, for anyone to be proud of the amount of lawsuits he has is just asinine. Why in the world would Joe be proud of that?.....
Please - point out, exactly, where I said he is "proud" of the amount of lawsuits? Please -

Fact is, in his "business" lawsuits are common place. That does not equate to being "Proud" - I might suggest you knock off your hyberbole -

And, why don't you also acknowledge that the gentleman from Mexico, here on a vistors visa, was in violation of that visa - both by being outside the territorial restrictions and by trying to get a job - why don't you acknowledge these facts?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
I think we're tending to forget that a number of Maricopa deputies are trained by ICE to determine an individuals legal status. If this deputy was professionally trained, why couldn't he/she determine the validity of this individuals visa and paperwork? Why is it when they turned this legal individual over to federal authorities, and after being detained for some hours, they determined this individual was here legally and set him free?
The person in question was in the United States, under a vistors visa.

That visa prohibits travel more than 60 miles from the border. He was well outside of that limitation

Also, a vistors visa prohibits seeking employment. The subject evidently acknowledged that he was seeking employment.

Inasmuch as there were two violations of federal law, the deputy took him into custody and he was turned over to ICE. The process of doing so can take a number of hours.

What happened when ICE got him I am not sure of. However, and making an educated guess here, ICE may have felt that the violations were no serious enough to warrant further detaining and a hearing. He was released on condition of returning to Mexico as I understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or