U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times

Advertisements

Racial profiling sucks, I think Joe likes to use it to intimidate Mexican immigrants IMO. However, I don't think this Mexican citizens suit holds water at all, because he was here on a Visa.

This American guy probably had a case:
Quote:
It also says a Hispanic man who is a U.S. citizen was illegally detained this month when he was walking on a sidewalk.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1212arpaio-ONL.html (broken link)

The word is out, don't be brown in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,375,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=5205288&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1 (broken link)

Seems like sour grapes that someones family member got deported...
That is what liberals do: they want to control you through lawsuits and intimidation.

Sheriff Joe will beat it, unless the lawsuit will be tried in Commiefornia or San Francisco. BUt if it is a state lawsuit tried in Maricopa County, Joe will beat it.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:12 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,344,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The person in question was in the United States, under a vistors visa.

That visa prohibits travel more than 60 miles from the border. He was well outside of that limitation

Also, a vistors visa prohibits seeking employment. The subject evidently acknowledged that he was seeking employment.

Inasmuch as there were two violations of federal law, the deputy took him into custody and he was turned over to ICE. The process of doing so can take a number of hours.

What happened when ICE got him I am not sure of. However, and making an educated guess here, ICE may have felt that the violations were no serious enough to warrant further detaining and a hearing. He was released on condition of returning to Mexico as I understand it.
To be exact...this is what the man had. No where do I see a 60 miles limit. Can you point me to a link?

Quote:
U.S. visa, his Mexican federal voter-registration card and a copy of a permit from the Department of Homeland Security with a stamp showing his admission to the United States was valid through Nov. 1.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:22 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,519,392 times
If anyone has had any experience with the "law" or court system you know "reasonable" suspicion and due process are often stretched, twisted or totally manipulated. It happens to citizens all the time but most dont have special interest groups to back them and pay for law suits. So were suspose to feel sorry when it happens to a non-citizen? suddenly it profiling. BooHoo.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,472 times
Quote:
The lawsuit outlines several instances where Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his deputies are accused of overstepping their authority to conduct immigration raids.

Although only one plaintiff is identified, the lawsuit is a class-action suit filed on behalf of "all others similarly situated."

the first lawsuit challenging Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's aggressive immigration-enforcement efforts, saying that he was unlawfully detained and that the Sheriff's Office is engaged in illegal racial-profiling.
I see nothing that says this person's visa restricted him to within 60 miles of the border, and even if he had 'no work' visa, it's not illegal to inquire about work.

He could apply for and be granted permission to work if he found work, and not all visas restrict people to any set range of travel.

I also see no mention that the individual was released on any condition that he return to Mexico, the articles cited here say he was released after having been found to be in compliance with the law.

So let's review what's been cited in the sources and compare that to what's been offered without citing any source,

The source says,

...this is the first lawsuit of it's kind, so unless the source is wrong, it isn't relevant to how many other suits Joe might talk about.

....several instances are described in the suit, so as has been pointed out, the case may revolve around more than one individual,

Seems to be some unfounded speculation in this thread, eh?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
To be exact...this is what the man had. No where do I see a 60 miles limit. Can you point me to a link?
I will try to find a link - it falls under the new Border Crossing Card (which it is my understanding he had)

Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If anyone has had any experience with the "law" or court system you know "reasonable" suspicion and due process are often stretched, twisted or totally manipulated. It happens to citizens all the time but most dont have special interest groups to back them and pay for law suits. So were suspose to feel sorry when it happens to a non-citizen? suddenly it profiling. BooHoo.
I think it is very easy for non-Hispanic people to cry Boohoo when they are not the ones being racially profiled and taken away from their lives.

Joe is basically quarantining Hispanics in Phoenix IMO, that is not America today. I was born and raised in the US, honestly I will not step foot in AZ as a Hispanic. I just think Joe sets America back 20-30 years and he tries too hard to be a Cowboy.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

What a pitiful attempt to justify the subversion of the rule of law.

Stretching, twisting and manipulating the law is your 'excuse'?

As far as your comment on 'non-citizens', they are protected by our laws too.

Perhaps you slept through civics class, or no one bothered to teach you civics.

Boo Hoo? The only thing is see that I would feel sorry for is your lack of knowledge and/or lack of respect for the laws of this nation.

That's what's sad about what I see demonstrated in your comments.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Joe is basically quarantining Hispanics in Phoenix IMO, that is not America today. I was born and raised in the US, honestly I will not step foot in AZ as a Hispanic. I just think Joe sets America back 20-30 years and he tries too hard to be a Cowboy.
Let me ask you - should he ignore the tremendous amount of human smuggling that is going on?

Should he ignore the coyotes? The Drop Houses? The organized gangs of illegals who are killing innocent civilians and killing police officers?

Should he ignore all of this?

Should he ignore the Employer Sanctions Law taking effect in a couple of weeks?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I will try to find a link - it falls under the new Border Crossing Card (which it is my understanding he had)
Unless you can prove what this person's papers consisted of,

....any kind of card you find will only be something you don't know this person was required to be in possession of.

I know plenty of people in this country who have visas that don't require them to be in possesion of any Border Crossing Card and they don't have any restrictions on travel such as has been described.

Your 'understanding' is mere speculation without any evidence relevant to what this person is required to have.

The feds said he was in compliance with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or