U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask you - should he ignore the tremendous amount of human smuggling that is going on?

Should he ignore the coyotes? The Drop Houses? The organized gangs of illegals who are killing innocent civilians and killing police officers?

Should he ignore all of this?

Should he ignore the Employer Sanctions Law taking effect in a couple of weeks?
Does that give him the right to detain a legal Hispanic person walking down the sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,838,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Unless you can prove what this person's papers consisted of,

....any kind of card you find will only be something you don't know this person was required to be in possession of.

I know plenty of people in this country who have visas that don't require them to be in possesion of any Border Crossing Card and they don't have any restrictions on travel such as has been described.

Your 'understanding' is mere speculation without any evidence relevant to what this person is required to have.

The feds said he was in compliance with the law.
SO...let me get this straight......if GREATDAY makes a comment, "he doesn't know what he's talking about" but if YOU make a comment, you are ALLknowing?????????I am sooo confused.......

Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,418,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Does that give him the right to detain a legal Hispanic person walking down the sidewalk?
Let me ask you - how am I to know if someone is legal or illegal when they are walking down the street?

Also, MSCO has no foot patrols - all cars -

It would be a rare incident that they would merely stop a patrol car and detain someone without another issue being there -

Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
I think it is very easy for non-Hispanic people to cry Boohoo when they are not the ones being racially profiled and taken away from their lives.

Joe is basically quarantining Hispanics in Phoenix IMO, that is not America today. I was born and raised in the US, honestly I will not step foot in AZ as a Hispanic. I just think Joe sets America back 20-30 years and he tries too hard to be a Cowboy.
Funny; not so long ago, you, Mach50, would have been considered 'Irish-American' due to your father's heritage.

I have known several 'full blood' Irish people who looked Latino.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 PM

937 posts, read 2,534,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask you - how am I to know if someone is legal or illegal when they are walking down the street?

Also, MSCO has no foot patrols - all cars -

It would be a rare incident that they would merely stop a patrol car and detain someone without another issue being there -
Correct. They surely didn't stop him for being Hispanic, but most likely for another reason. Its not illegal for police to stop and talk to anyone.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

635 posts, read 1,562,258 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in the US, honestly I will not step foot in AZ as a Hispanic. I just think Joe sets America back 20-30 years and he tries too hard to be a Cowboy.
As a friend of numerous Latinos, I couldn't agree more with your statement. I think Sheriff Joe or whatever they call him is great at upholding the law of illegal immigration. He goes to far with the rebellious attitude, "my way or the highway," and I don't believe he at all racially profiles people. I think some people thinks he racially profiles people, it doesn't matter if he does or not, there will always be Latinos who are afraid of his county's policies, especially illegals and felons.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,359,311 times
Quote:
In a perfect world. Google the terms driving while black and driving while brown

Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,359,311 times
Quote:
Correct. They surely didn't stop him for being Hispanic, but most likely for another reason. Its not illegal for police to stop and talk to anyone.
A white guy was driving and it was for speeding...but that issues was never addressed.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM

1,252 posts, read 729,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
SO...let me get this straight......if GREATDAY makes a comment, "he doesn't know what he's talking about" but if YOU make a comment, you are ALLknowing?????????I am sooo confused.......
I agree, you are confused.

A comment doesn't necessarily purport to state facts.

A statement of fact is different than a comment.

Maybe you will learn the distinction.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,418,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
In a perfect world. Google the terms driving while black and driving while brown
Doesn't apply

Clearly, you do not know the demographics of the unicorporated areas of Maricopa county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or