U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM

1,252 posts, read 726,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
A white guy was driving and it was for speeding...but that issues was never addressed.
I read that there was no citation given for speeding, .....so I've seen no evidence that he was, in fact, speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
As a friend of numerous Latinos, I couldn't agree more with your statement. I think Sheriff Joe or whatever they call him is great at upholding the law of illegal immigration. He goes to far with the rebellious attitude, "my way or the highway," and I don't believe he at all racially profiles people. I think some people thinks he racially profiles people, it doesn't matter if he does or not, there will always be Latinos who are afraid of his county's policies, especially illegals and felons.
I thought Sherriff Joe Arpaio was the child of Italian immigrants. I thought Italy was where Latin was invented, and used, long ago. Thus it seems to me that Sherriff Joe is a Latino. So who, exactly, is he "profiling"? Himself? I thought we all agreed that "Mexicans" were not a race, and that they came in all colors. A lot of Mexicans are white, and a lot of Americans are brown. And a lot of BOTH are Latinos. I thought that in his capacity as Sherriff, he was SUPPOSED to look for people who are breaking the law..Isn't that what they pay him to do? Isn't he supposed to stop ALL lawbreakers, even for misdemeanors? Are we asking him to STOP enforcing the law? So who is mad at Sherriff Joe, and why, exactly? Are only the illegals mad? If so, aren't law-enforcement officers SUPPOSED to make lawbreakers mad? If legal CITIZENS are mad at him, WHY? Isn't he serving your interests as citizens and taxpayers? I'm confused....Can someone explain?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
I read that there was no citation given for speeding, .....so I've seen no evidence that he was, in fact, speeding.
Depending upon the speed - officers often simply ask the driver to "slow down" and don't cite

We have a really good one here though - "Wasting of a finite resource" - an alternative to a speeding ticket

Does not go on your record - minimal fine

Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
I agree, you are confused.

A comment doesn't necessarily purport to state facts.

A statement of fact is different than a comment.

Maybe you will learn the distinction.
Thank you for clearing that up....now I understand.....that you are spilling out mindless unsubstantiated commentary.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:00 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Quote:
What a pitiful attempt to justify the subversion of the rule of law.

Stretching, twisting and manipulating the law is your 'excuse'?

As far as your comment on 'non-citizens', they are protected by our laws too.

Perhaps you slept through civics class, or no one bothered to teach you civics.

Boo Hoo? The only thing is see that I would feel sorry for is your lack of knowledge and/or lack of respect for the laws of this nation.

That's what's sad about what I see demonstrated in your comments.

[SIZE=3]Iím not justifying or making excuses and I donít live in seventh grade civics class. I live in the real world where the law is often unjust and corrupt. Im saying people get detained unjustly, it can and does happens to citizens so why is it so much worse that it happened to a non-citizen? Why such a big whoopla![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The laws of this nation! LOL. Our own government doesnít enforce the law and illegals arenít expected to abide by it, donít talk to me about my respect for the law. Sheriff Joe for President!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Thank you for clearing that up....now I understand.....that you are spilling out mindless unsubstantiated commentary.
Prove it.

If I make a statement of fact, you would have to find a source which shows I stated something which is incorrect.

Unlike some, I don't make a habit of saying things unless I've already confirmed that there is a factual basis for making the statement.

So, ...you're still unable to distinguish much of anything, you're still confused.

But then, that doesn't surprise me, nor do I particularly care if you can't distinguish fact from fallacy.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Prove it.

If I make a statement of fact, you would have to find a source which shows I stated something which is incorrect.

Unlike some, I don't make a habit of saying things unless I've already confirmed that there is a factual basis for making the statement.

So, ...you're still unable to distinguish much of anything, you're still confused.

But then, that doesn't surprise me, nor do I particularly care if you can't distinguish fact from fallacy.
I have a question for you: Are you always so rude and condesending to someone who disagrees with you?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have a really good one here though - "Wasting of a finite resource" - an alternative to a speeding ticket

Does not go on your record - minimal fine
That law might get tested in the courts some day, it passed your legislature as a way to comply with getting federal hiway dollars without having to write citations for exceeding the federally mandated 55 mph laws.

The feds threatened to hold up federal tax money if the states didn't comply with the 55 mph standards, so someone in your legislature thinks they figured a way around it.

If if does go to court and is upheld, then you might see some more states trying the same thing.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That law might get tested in the courts some day, it passed your legislature as a way to comply with getting federal hiway dollars without having to write citations for exceeding the federally mandated 55 mph laws.

The feds threatened to hold up federal tax money if the states didn't comply with the 55 mph standards, so someone in your legislature thinks they figured a way around it.

If if does go to court and is upheld, then you might see some more states trying the same thing.
Ah - it was upheld YEARS AGO - the State told the Feds to shove it with their 55mph crap -

AZ won

Surprised you with your vast knowledge did not know that

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
.....donít talk to me about my respect for the law.
Why not? You can disrespect the law but others can't?

If you show disrespect for our laws, and readily admit it here, I will not hesitate to comment on that.

And just because someone else, (any other criminal, in government or out), doesn't abide by the laws of this country, that's no excuse for you to ignore your own duty as a citizen of this country to obey, respect and uphold those laws.

If you're not willing to perform your duty as a citizen, you've little reason to expect you'd be exempt from being subject to criticism for that.

Or maybe you're not a citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or