U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,101,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
I bet the Native Americans said the same things years ago when all the foreigners started arriving from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, etc...etc... but we found a little space for them. ( yes, and then found some space for the Natives too ).
Yeah, my relatives came in and worked their tails off and didn't make demands of the system to give, give, give! The main issue is not "space" but money and other resources not to mention that my relatives weren't breaking the laws!

I had read somewhere that the illegal population in KS was about 7%. The waiting list for services for an adult with developmental disabilities is 5 years because there isn't any money to fund the list and I just found a generous amount right here: Illegal Immigrants in Kansas cost their taxpayers $442-million (Lake County Fiscal Rangers) The tax burden in KS is over the top.

I don't think you can ever get reliable figures on illegals because I believe there are many, many more than what one thinks and I don't think the government would tell you if they knew at least under this administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yeah, my relatives came in and worked their tails off and didn't make demands of the system to give, give, give! The main issue is not "space" but money and other resources not to mention that my relatives weren't breaking the laws!

I had read somewhere that the illegal population in KS was about 7%. The waiting list for services for an adult with developmental disabilities is 5 years because there isn't any money to fund the list and I just found a generous amount right here: Illegal Immigrants in Kansas cost their taxpayers $442-million (Lake County Fiscal Rangers) The tax burden in KS is over the top.

I don't think you can ever get reliable figures on illegals because I believe there are many, many more than what one thinks and I don't think the government would tell you if they knew at least under this administration.
I agree. I think the Fed is loath to share the real numbers. It would be an inditement of how poorly they have managed the situation. They also have an agenda to pass a very bad porter bill.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Last I read illegal aliens cost each American household close to $2,000 a year.

This issue has nothing to do with hate but a desire to have our immigration laws enforced for all the obvious reasons. Illegal aliens are just as guilty as our government and those employers who hire them.

Our system needs an overhaul? Please elaborate.
But not all American households are taxpayers and some of us pay more than our fair share for them --- the costs aren't evenly distributed.

And I do blame them because the number one reason to come here illegally is to feed the children they cannot support unless they get over here and then smuggle them. They can't afford those children back home where the cost of living is much lower, how do uneducated who cannot speak the language here support their extra large families with our very high costs of living? The US taxpayers of course.

Illegals aren't buying health insurance policies, they fully expect the taxpayers to provide them health care and Medicaid for their babies and children.

There really is no excuse in this day and age to have children when you're stone broke and then to exploit those children and use them as a way to get around the immigration laws.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I agree. I think the Fed is loath to share the real numbers. It would be an inditement of how poorly they have managed the situation. They also have an agenda to pass a very bad porter bill.
A lot of it isn't actually "costing" us at this moment --- much of the costs of very massive illegal immigration is contained in the over $17 trillion deficit.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

488 posts, read 338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of it isn't actually "costing" us at this moment --- much of the costs of very massive illegal immigration is contained in the over $17 trillion deficit.
Thanks for clearing that up. I feel so much better now

Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,872,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our system needs an overhaul? Please elaborate.
Hello,

Well, I wouldn't know "how" to do it, (otherwise I might try to get into government) but here's what we went through. Get a cup of coffee! LOL!

My husband is from England and we met through a fan site for film music on the internet about 15 years ago.
We were just music buddies along with a bunch of other regulars for about a year or so, then we started exchanging emails, and grew fond of each other. 6 months later, we met with a handful of other friends from the music website in England for a concert, where we found that we definitely had a "thing". After a lot of back and forth, phone calls, and then research we decided to go the K1 visa route AKA the Fiance Visa. (Me going to the UK was out of the question because I had a child, and would never take him from his dad, whom I had a good relationship with)

Before we learned of the K1, we were looking into the possibility of him moving here with an HB1 visa (employer sponsored), or green card lottery. The K1 demanded we marry within 90 days, and he wouldn't have been able to couldn't get a basic workers permit until then, so we made plans to marry right away (when and if we got the visa) so he could begin the job hunt in his field which is computers. We knew it was a risk, but it worked out great for us. We're happily married still.

We decided to do all this without a lawyer, instead finding a lot of support and advice from a "user group" (remember those?) concerning the K1 visa, where we learned we had to be very vigilant to dot every "I" and cross every "T", and was warned not to even THINK of getting married on his next visit as he would be BANNED from entering the U.S. for 10 years! (a little harder to sneak over with the Atlantic between us) Needless to say we took all of this very seriously!

When I first petitioned the government for permission to marry (and I think we may have paid for some kind of processing fee at the time) I received a thick stack of papers to fill out.

Attached by a paperclip to the stack of papers on top was a fingerprint card.

THEN, attached by paperclip to the fingerprint card was a note... it read, "Please disregard the fingerprint card". I re read it... "Please disregard the fingerprint card" (that.. you could have just chucked)

I stared at it a good long time in silence.

Emailed my fiance and told him we were in for a trip to hell! LOL!

In the end it all worked out and the K1 was the shortest route for him to get here. Granted, this was before 911, so I don't know how long it takes now. But even so, it was very challenging, and thank goodness for the people on the Usergroup!

So anyway, (and this is the condensed version) aside from all the paperwork and fees, then waiting to get the notice that they received the paper work and the fees, I had to put together a notebook with pictures of us, copies of emails between us, phone records, etc. I also had to prove I had money in the bank and/or a job to support him if he couldn't find employment, (yes that was one of the requirements).

On his end over in England, including filling out all the paperwork, was a requirement for government officiated background check, places he's lived for the past 10 years, etc. Happily we were approved, and when he came over, he had to have IN HAND, his immunization records and a large envelope with a chest X-Ray proving he didn't have Tuberculous.

I believe by then he had gotten some fingerprints done, and we both had to have them done when he arrived and had our appointment at the government office.

Ahhhh... government offices and their employees. Maybe we just kept getting the foul ones, but you'd think we were enemy combatants begging for a piece of tobacco from a guard! We ran into the meanest nastiest people! Ug! Now hubby, is very matter of fact and didn't let it bother him, but I was shaken and in tears by the time we left each "confrontation"!

Oh well, it was on the whole a horrible experience, but we must have gotten some grace from some higher power, because normally, I'm not into things that are "difficult". However, I do know that if its something really important as this was, I can at times be very determined. Hubby too is like that and we look back and think, how the hell did we do that?

We only had to deal with the INS a few more times after that... after the first year, he then got his 2 year, then his 10 year resident card. He became a U.S. citizen a year ago and we couldn't be happier! So nice to get that horrible bureaucracy off of our backs, but most importantly that he gets to be a part of the American family, one that he has grown to love and respect in spite of its problems. He also has the capacity to watch C-SPAN for hours so he's always "schooling" me.

Well, I'm going to take a break, and then I will respond to my own post with a few thoughts...

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:05 PM

31,717 posts, read 14,631,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hello,

Well, I wouldn't know "how" to do it, (otherwise I might try to get into government) but here's what we went through. Get a cup of coffee! LOL!

My husband is from England and we met through a fan site for film music on the internet about 15 years ago.
We were just music buddies along with a bunch of other regulars for about a year or so, then we started exchanging emails, and grew fond of each other. 6 months later, we met with a handful of other friends from the music website in England for a concert, where we found that we definitely had a "thing". After a lot of back and forth, phone calls, and then research we decided to go the K1 visa route AKA the Fiance Visa. (Me going to the UK was out of the question because I had a child, and would never take him from his dad, whom I had a good relationship with)

Before we learned of the K1, we were looking into the possibility of him moving here with an HB1 visa (employer sponsored), or green card lottery. The K1 demanded we marry within 90 days, and he wouldn't have been able to couldn't get a basic workers permit until then, so we made plans to marry right away (when and if we got the visa) so he could begin the job hunt in his field which is computers. We knew it was a risk, but it worked out great for us. We're happily married still.

We decided to do all this without a lawyer, instead finding a lot of support and advice from a "user group" (remember those?) concerning the K1 visa, where we learned we had to be very vigilant to dot every "I" and cross every "T", and was warned not to even THINK of getting married on his next visit as he would be BANNED from entering the U.S. for 10 years! (a little harder to sneak over with the Atlantic between us) Needless to say we took all of this very seriously!

When I first petitioned the government for permission to marry (and I think we may have paid for some kind of processing fee at the time) I received a thick stack of papers to fill out.

Attached by a paperclip to the stack of papers on top was a fingerprint card.

THEN, attached by paperclip to the fingerprint card was a note... it read, "Please disregard the fingerprint card". I re read it... "Please disregard the fingerprint card" (that.. you could have just chucked)

I stared at it a good long time in silence.

Emailed my fiance and told him we were in for a trip to hell! LOL!

In the end it all worked out and the K1 was the shortest route for him to get here. Granted, this was before 911, so I don't know how long it takes now. But even so, it was very challenging, and thank goodness for the people on the Usergroup!

So anyway, (and this is the condensed version) aside from all the paperwork and fees, then waiting to get the notice that they received the paper work and the fees, I had to put together a notebook with pictures of us, copies of emails between us, phone records, etc. I also had to prove I had money in the bank and/or a job to support him if he couldn't find employment, (yes that was one of the requirements).

On his end over in England, including filling out all the paperwork, was a requirement for government officiated background check, places he's lived for the past 10 years, etc. Happily we were approved, and when he came over, he had to have IN HAND, his immunization records and a large envelope with a chest X-Ray proving he didn't have Tuberculous.

I believe by then he had gotten some fingerprints done, and we both had to have them done when he arrived and had our appointment at the government office.

Ahhhh... government offices and their employees. Maybe we just kept getting the foul ones, but you'd think we were enemy combatants begging for a piece of tobacco from a guard! We ran into the meanest nastiest people! Ug! Now hubby, is very matter of fact and didn't let it bother him, but I was shaken and in tears by the time we left each "confrontation"!

Oh well, it was on the whole a horrible experience, but we must have gotten some grace from some higher power, because normally, I'm not into things that are "difficult". However, I do know that if its something really important as this was, I can at times be very determined. Hubby too is like that and we look back and think, how the hell did we do that?

We only had to deal with the INS a few more times after that... after the first year, he then got his 2 year, then his 10 year resident card. He became a U.S. citizen a year ago and we couldn't be happier! So nice to get that horrible bureaucracy off of our backs, but most importantly that he gets to be a part of the American family, one that he has grown to love and respect in spite of its problems. He also has the capacity to watch C-SPAN for hours so he's always "schooling" me.

Well, I'm going to take a break, and then I will respond to my own post with a few thoughts...

Cheers!
This is the illegal immigration forum and some think amnesty for them is overhauling our immigration laws but it isn't. I'm all for tweaking our legal immigration policies but it shouldn't include the above.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,872,171 times
Quote:
Hello,

Yada yada... see above

Cheers!
Hi again...
So just to clarify,
In no way am I suggesting that the process should have been easier for us. I believe there should indeed be a good deal of effort and seriousness in choosing to immigrate. (even if I do believe there is no reason to have employee act like jerks and slobs on the job. They are still representing our country, but that's another issue)

I'm also not suggesting that we had it harder, or have it harder than living life as an illegal alien.

But we both couldn't help but wonder HOW MANY PEOPLE looped right around us during the time from when we got our first notification of receipt to being approved?

Picture my husband with a large envelope standing in line with an X-Ray of his lungs. They were very very concerned about this ONE British guy's LUNGS! Anyone concerned about the people who sneak in and their lungs? It's almost comical!

How 'bout that background check? Our government isn't concerned about the character of all the people breaking the law, but they made darn sure my husband, who helped take care of his grandmother towards the end and who never got around even trying pot because he was too nerded out learning how to be a computer programmer...

It's the two standards that drive me nuts! But again, I don't hold the illegal aliens as accountable as our government. It's like blaming a 4 years old who get away with everything because they know their mommy enforce the house rules, and daddy spoils them rotten when moms not looking anyway.

I also don't think it's fair to so many people around the world, who are waiting their turn. I really do think we would be able to streamline more people in legally, if we weren't so overwhelmed by illegal immigration.

I would feel much more generous if our government applied the same rules given to everyone that were given to us. But to do this would require things that may be considered "distasteful". A tall fence is way too much common sense. I know so many cry about that, and point to North Korea and the likes, but nasty regimes build fences to keep their people in.

A tall fence is just common sense.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,308,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
I bet the Native Americans said the same things years ago when all the foreigners started arriving from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, etc...etc... but we found a little space for them. ( yes, and then found some space for the Natives too ).
Many people, even American Indians, their minds blank out when THEY'RE called out on what THEIR ancestors did to each other way back in the day. The Aztecs in what is now Mexico are a real good example. Tho, I DON'T put down the descendents of the Aztecs in 2014 for what their people did then. They ain't guilty of a thing.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Quote:
Hi again...
So just to clarify,
In no way am I suggesting that the process should have been easier for us. I believe there should indeed be a good deal of effort and seriousness in choosing to immigrate. (even if I do believe there is no reason to have employee act like jerks and slobs on the job. They are still representing our country, but that's another issue)

I'm also not suggesting that we had it harder, or have it harder than living life as an illegal alien.

But we both couldn't help but wonder HOW MANY PEOPLE looped right around us during the time from when we got our first notification of receipt to being approved?

Picture my husband with a large envelope standing in line with an X-Ray of his lungs. They were very very concerned about this ONE British guy's LUNGS! Anyone concerned about the people who sneak in and their lungs? It's almost comical!

How 'bout that background check? Our government isn't concerned about the character of all the people breaking the law, but they made darn sure my husband, who helped take care of his grandmother towards the end and who never got around even trying pot because he was too nerded out learning how to be a computer programmer...

It's the two standards that drive me nuts! But again, I don't hold the illegal aliens as accountable as our government. It's like blaming a 4 years old who get away with everything because they know their mommy enforce the house rules, and daddy spoils them rotten when moms not looking anyway.

I also don't think it's fair to so many people around the world, who are waiting their turn. I really do think we would be able to streamline more people in legally, if we weren't so overwhelmed by illegal immigration.

I would feel much more generous if our government applied the same rules given to everyone that were given to us. But to do this would require things that may be considered "distasteful". A tall fence is way too much common sense. I know so many cry about that, and point to North Korea and the likes, but nasty regimes build fences to keep their people in.

A tall fence is just common sense.
Agreed. The idea of rewarding criminal behavior is so contrary to conventional wisdom that it is astounding that anyone is actually considering it. Like you I had to watch as my wife jumped through the many hoops. My wife is has a college degree, speaks 5 languages including english has never broken any US laws and she had to pass the background, go through a physical, pay her fees up front, apply in nation of origin, then of course wait her turn.
Now they are trying to give the illegals a free pass for breaking the very same laws which would have disqualified both your husband and my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or