U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,860,407 times

Advertisements

Hi, hubby and I live in California, does anyone know or have a rough estimate of how much tax money, or a percentage of my tax dollars actually go to the care and welfare of illegal aliens and their children individually?

I tried Googling, but I'm only coming up with the "what costs Californians" or "costs to taxpayers" as a whole.

So for let's say a single guy, making 50K (80K? 100k?) in California with no dependents... what might the actual dollar be coming out of his check that are feeding, educating etc. etc.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not a hard core "hater" of people who sneak into this country. I'm not because I don't blame them living where and how they do.
I blame our government more because the whole system needs an overhaul. We let in so few legally compared with the masses that come in illegally. Hubby and I have dealt with the INS when he emigrated here. (Don't get me started! )

Thanks for indulging me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi, hubby and I live in California, does anyone know or have a rough estimate of how much tax money, or a percentage of my tax dollars actually go to the care and welfare of illegal aliens and their children individually?

I tried Googling, but I'm only coming up with the "what costs Californians" or "costs to taxpayers" as a whole.

So for let's say a single guy, making 50K (80K? 100k?) in California with no dependents... what might the actual dollar be coming out of his check that are feeding, educating etc. etc.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not a hard core "hater" of people who sneak into this country. I'm not because I don't blame them living where and how they do.
I blame our government more because the whole system needs an overhaul. We let in so few legally compared with the masses that come in illegally. Hubby and I have dealt with the INS when he emigrated here. (Don't get me started! )

Thanks for indulging me.
Last I read illegal aliens cost each American household close to $2,000 a year.

This issue has nothing to do with hate but a desire to have our immigration laws enforced for all the obvious reasons. Illegal aliens are just as guilty as our government and those employers who hire them.

Our system needs an overhaul? Please elaborate.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM

11,484 posts, read 5,504,092 times
We let in so few legally compared with the masses that come in illegally

---------------------
^Wrong! Unless you consider allowing 1 million legal immigrants per year into this country "so few". We are incredibly generous when it comes to legal immigration. While I have great respect for those who obey our immigration laws and patiently await their turn to come here, we can no longer continue to allow 1 million people annually in here. We are running out of potable water and buildable land.

As for illegal aliens, they have no business being here. If they want to come here, then they need to obey our immigration laws and wait their turn. If they are denied entry, well then, they need to suck it up and deal with it.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
First of all this Nation allows more immigration than any other on the planet, possibly more than all others combined.
Second. I have been through the system with my wife and now step daughter. Don't get me started....
The system needs to be overhauled. An overhaul would include streamlining and reducing the duplicate paper work. We as a nation should set the bar high and limit how many will only be a burden upon us. Other countries do.
I love Thailand. For me to retire there I have to show a monthly income of 80,000 baht and maintain a bank account in Thailand = to $40,000.00. This to prevent me from becoming a burden upon Thailand. It makes perfect sense.
If I over stay my visa I will be fined and it is compounded daily. Not one fine covers all but compounded.... This also makes perfect sense. after paying the fine I face deportation. If I don't have the cash I get to go to the monkey house until I either raise the money or they simply grow weary of me and kick me out of the country.
We can learn from other countries.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM

279 posts, read 265,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
we can no longer continue to allow 1 million people annually in here. We are running out of potable water and buildable land.
I bet the Native Americans said the same things years ago when all the foreigners started arriving from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, etc...etc... but we found a little space for them. ( yes, and then found some space for the Natives too ).

Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
I bet the Native Americans said the same things years ago when all the foreigners started arriving from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, etc...etc... but we found a little space for them. ( yes, and then found some space for the Natives too ).
The same natives who would raid neighbor tribes to steal wives and kill the men? The same who would invade the neighboring tribes territory, take slaves, kill off the previous owners and then stay? Those natives?
Were there immigration laws back then?

Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
There were no "native" Americans. Those who are referred to in that manner migrated here just like the Europeans did. Second, one can't be serious and compare a sparsely populated country/continent of the past to the millions of people living here today.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM

11,484 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Great posts, tinman01 and Oldglory! Very well put---thank you!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 PM

183 posts, read 157,808 times
There was a study done by the Federation for American Immigration Reform that calculated the cost of illegal aliens to the American taxpayers for 2010. Go to the link below to see the cost breakdown for each state.

This report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion; nearly $29 billion at the federal level and $84 billion at the state and local level.

Cost of Illegal Immigration at the State Level | Federation for American Immigration Reform

I can only assume this cost will continue to rise now that Obama has ordered FEMA to deal with the increase of illegal aliens under the age 18.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Retired View Post
There was a study done by the Federation for American Immigration Reform that calculated the cost of illegal aliens to the American taxpayers for 2010. Go to the link below to see the cost breakdown for each state.

This report estimates the annual costs of illegal immigration at the federal, state and local level to be about $113 billion; nearly $29 billion at the federal level and $84 billion at the state and local level.

Cost of Illegal Immigration at the State Level | Federation for American Immigration Reform

I can only assume this cost will continue to rise now that Obama has ordered FEMA to deal with the increase of illegal aliens under the age 18.
FAIR estimates almost 5% of my state population (in New Mexico) to be illegal aliens, which puts them as being badly out of touch in my book...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or