U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM

3,589 posts, read 446,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Troll, hardly. Just a difference of opinion that the anti immigrant bashing found on the board most days. I have replied a couple of times to this posting. questioner2
Uh...speaking for myself, I am not anti-immigration. I am anti-ILLEGAL immigration. Get it right. I sponsored my ex (when he was my husband) for a green card so clearly I A.) am not opposed to foreigners coming into this country, and B.) am not a xenophobe, since I MARRIED a foreigner, and C.) know how the system works better than a lot of people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,428,103 times
We'd know for sure if that they were "good people" if they went through the "screening" procedures that immigration screening is good for... to make SURE they're not criminals, gang members, etc.

Otherwise, we just don't know.

Not that I'm equating illegal immigrants with pedophiles, but consider this:

In many schools across the country, visitors and workers must provide a license and be "screened" to make sure they aren't on the sexual predator list before they're allowed to enter. Of course MOST people who visit the school won't be sexual predators, but the rule serves a screening purpose that is frustrated if people start circumventing the visitor's entrance and are allowed to hang around campus, then we're going to either have to deal with the fact that "some" sexual predators will get in with the other "nice guys".... or we demand that visitors come through the front door and get screened.

THAT way, instead of eyeing all visitors to the school as "potential predators" we at least know that everyone we've let in is at least not a KNOWN predator!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,010,072 times
Also, if you actually knew what these debates were about, you would know that
The key word here is "ILLEGAL". You would also find out that some of the members of these Immigration Forums, Including but not limited to, this one, are "Legal" Immigrants.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
We'd know for sure if that they were "good people" if they went through the "screening" procedures that immigration screening is good for... to make SURE they're not criminals, gang members, etc.

In many schools across the country, visitors and workers must provide a license and be "screened" to make sure they aren't on the sexual predator list before they're allowed to enter. Of course MOST people who visit the school won't be sexual predators, but the rule serves a screening purpose that is frustrated if people start circumventing the visitor's entrance and are allowed to hang around campus, then we're going to either have to deal with the fact that "some" sexual predators will get in with the other "nice guys".... or we demand that visitors come through the front door and get screened.

THAT way, instead of eyeing all visitors to the school as "potential predators" we at least know that everyone we've let in is at least not a KNOWN predator!
You have a good point. I have been a school volunteer for over 25 years at my alma mater. Now we have to have background checks and be issued badges to even enter the school during the day! But illegals can just go anywhere without any ID - if they are even questioned "profiling, racism, etc" are loudly proclaimed.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,266,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
It may be time to give the necessary proper documents to the current 20 million Undocumented American Workers. Almost everyone agrees that the only people who really want them deported are a few fringe groups on the extreme radical right. Most Americans love Mexican Immigrants and welcome the addition of their fine culture and hard work to the dying insular communities in America. When you give an undocumented Mexican a job, he works really hard and shows up the native born American.

America is a land of immigrants and our native born population is dying off and retiring. It is time to open up America to a large influx of new workers. I support allowing most of these people to come from Latin America because of the huge existing Hispanic influence already in America. It will make it easier for them to assimilate than someone from Africa or Asia who speaks a language few understand.
I'm assuming this is a joke because of the wink???

Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM

15,225 posts, read 17,931,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Actually you may find this article interesting. It is about how a new ID system in public schools has drawn fear from pro-illegal groups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120302027.html

Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM

3,432 posts, read 315,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Actually you may find this article interesting. It is about how a new ID system in public schools has drawn fear from pro-illegal groups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120302027.html

Thats to catch sex offenders. Most illegals have a type of ID on them from their own country.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,518,421 times
If someone is in this country illegally, they, or their children, should not be admitted to a public school

Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM

3,432 posts, read 315,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If someone is in this country illegally, they, or their children, should not be admitted to a public school
And then surely church programs will admit their children into private schools. Do you have anything against that?

Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,428,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And then surely church programs will admit their children into private schools. Do you have anything against that?
No problem, so long as that "private" church school doesn't receive a single penny of federal money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration